Xantia - 205/60/R15 or 195/60/R15 ?

Mandrake

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

Just trying to decide on some new front tyres for my Xantia (15 inch alloy rims) and over here at least there aren't that many choices of Michelin available (supposedly due to many of the other types not liking our harsh chip surface roads) and its come down to choosing between Energy MXV8 or Energy XM1. (I'm leaning towards the latter)

Its a Hydractive 2 model and I'm a somewhat "spirited" driver around corners, so I've worn both shoulders on both front tyres in only a few months, although they are only el-cheapo (brand name never heard of before) 185/65's that were on the car when I got it and were resonably worn already, so they weren't great tyres to begin with.

I don't think 185's have enough rubber area for spirited cornering on a Xantia, (especially a Hydractive 2) and in my experience on previous cars I find manufacturers usually fit tires that are one to two sizes too small from "optimal" on their midrange models, so I want to bump them up to 195 or 205.

My Dad's Xantia has 195/60/R15 on the front and even that small increase makes a very large improvement to the grip at the front - much more neutral handling with almost no understeer.

Originally I was thinking of 205/55 but 55's arent available on the XM1, and the MXV8 is somewhat expensive and also has a very rounded shoulder profile which I don't like. (The 205 MXV8 has the same effective contact width as the 195 XM1 because of this difference in shoulder profile)

So I'm now trying to weigh up 195/60/R15 vs 205/60/R15 in the XM1.

My main concern is, is 205/60 going to be too big for a Xantia that came with 185's ? In terms of wheel arch clearance etc ? Did models like the petrol turbo that came with 205/60 standard have any differences in the wheel arch to allow for it ?

Will it make the steering too heavy ? (My steering is already quite a bit heavier than my Dad's Xantia, for reasons unknown, despite having smaller tires than his 195/60's)

What about tyre scrubbing during full lock turns, which is a bit of a problem on Xantia's to begin with due to the McPherson strut geometry, I assume a wider tyre will only make this worse ? (But if so, is that a cause for concern ?)

As far as gearing goes, will a 1% difference in diameter make any noticable difference in gearing and acceration ? The diameters of the tires are:

185/65/R15 - 621mm
195/60/R15 - 615mm
205/60/R15 - 627mm

So the 195 gives me a 1% reduction in diameter compared to standard, while the 205 gives me a 1% increase. Either way, not enough to worry about for gearing ? (1% speedo accuracy difference is better than the likely speedo accuracy too)

What I'm basically looking for is significantly more grip than I have now, especially in cornering, and have a tire that will hopefully last longer without wearing on the edges from cornering, but at the same time I don't want a harsh ride...grip in the wet is also important to me too, as the crappy tyres on the front at the moment have next to no grip in the wet...

One last question, if I leave the 185/65/R15's on the back for now (both of which have good tread depth) will having tyres two sizes bigger on the front cause any risk of biasing the car into oversteer ?

Any comments before I take the plunge ?
icon_smile.gif
(Especially from people that have tried any of the above tyres, or have tried changing between different sizes)

Regards,
Simon

My Xantia has 195/55 15" as standard. I up'd it to 205/50 (you need to go down a profile with each width increment to keep the same rolling diameter).

I'm quite impressed with it's ride/handling. I've fitted Japanese made Toyo under it's nose. I personally think the Michelins we get are quite ordinary, and who knows where they'll be made :confused: Certainly I wouldn't pay a cent extra just for the Michelin name.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
My Xantia has 195/55 15" as standard. I up'd it to 205/50 (you need to go down a profile with each width increment to keep the same rolling diameter).

I'm quite impressed with it's ride/handling. I've fitted Japanese made Toyo under it's nose. I personally think the Michelins we get are quite ordinary, and who knows where they'll be made :confused: Certainly I wouldn't pay a cent extra just for the Michelin name.

seeya,
Shane L.

Which Toyos Shane?

Certainly the Toyos I put on our 14 inch 185/65's were utterly appalling. Its had 3 sets of Michelins, a pair of Bridgestone Turanzas, Pirelli P6000 and those Toyos. The fronts were half worn at 8000km and were happily discarded. The Michelins (MXV3A, XM1) were far superior to the others, Pirelli included. Significantly higher grip (10-20% higher corner speed) much nicer balance - less understeer therefore more rear-steer under power. Each time I tried to save $20 a corner and just ended up going back to Michelins even before they wore out.

As to tyre size, if it is designed for 195's I'd stick with them. An extra cm isn't much anyway - the contact patch and the way the tyre keeps this on the tarmac during cornering is more important. Quality before size (as with everything :wink2: )

Thanks for the comments John.

Yes I agree about quality before size, I'm very reluctant to try anything other than Michelin as if you don't like them you're stuck with them a long time. (I only do about 5,000Km a year maximum)

However I'd also like to upsize them a little bit from the standard 185/65, and you would be surprised what one or two sizes can do, for a given type of tyre.

205/60/R15 is the standard size for the 2 litre petrol turbo Hydractive 2 according to my owners manual, while 185/65/R15 is the standard size for the 2 litre 8 valve auto, such as mine.

However the way I look at it, although having a lot less horsepower in the straight line, between the two models the brakes should be just as good, and the suspension should be able to corner just as well also being Hydractive 2, and cornering and braking are just as good reasons to have better tyres than outright acceleration if not better reasons.

A bit of extra grip in emergency braking or cornering could be the difference between a near miss and a very sudden stop :blackeye:

Larger contact area should also reduce treadwear during "spirited" driving, but once again, only necessarily for a given brand/tyre, as the tyre type itself affects this as much if not more than a small change in size.

Regards,
Simon

Last edited:
DoubleChevron said:
That seems pretty low profiles for those sizes... what does it have in your owners manual ? In mine anyway, it lists 185/65/R15 for the slugomatic...

The difference in diameter between 205/60/R15 and 205/50/R15 is pretty substantial - and neither the MXV8 or the XM1 are available in that size anyway... :D (in fact the XM1 is not even available in a 55 or 50 profile at all....)

Regards,
Simon

Mandrake said:
neither the MXV8 or the XM1 are available in that size anyway... (in fact the XM1 is not even available in a 55 or 50 profile at all....)
The XM1 is a low grade tyre, only one Michelin make that comes in 13". The MXV8 is for luxury cars. I wouldn't be puting either of those on a Xantia.

Xantia Tyres

Mandrake

I had a similar discussion to the one you have raised on this forum some time back. (So far back it's dropped off the list).... My Xantia is fitted with 16" alloys. It had Pirelli's on when I got it, but I thought they were quite hard riding and thumped and banged a fair bit, so when replacement time came around (for the front) I looked long and hard and also came to this forum. In the end I put (205 (55) 16") Michellin MXV 4's on it. I've certainly had not problems with rubbing when turning or when the suspension is working hard.

I'm in Hamilton NZ if you want to chat (07) 843-3498
Cheers = Paul

kermit said:
The XM1 is a low grade tyre, only one Michelin make that comes in 13".
Hi,

What makes you say its a "low grade" tyre. Compared to what ? If you've looked at the info you'll see that the 13" versions are different to the larger ones and have a different rubber compound without the silica compounds, which would make it quite a different tyre even if the tread patterns are the same.

I don't see why having a 13" version automatically makes it a poor tyre...

The MXV8 is for luxury cars. I wouldn't be puting either of those on a Xantia.
So where do you see the Xantia fitting in ? :wink2:

I'm curious if you've ever used the XM1 on a Xantia or not, or whether you're going by heresay...

Regards,
Simon

paulclifford said:
Mandrake

I had a similar discussion to the one you have raised on this forum some time back. (So far back it's dropped off the list).... My Xantia is fitted with 16" alloys. It had Pirelli's on when I got it, but I thought they were quite hard riding and thumped and banged a fair bit, so when replacement time came around (for the front) I looked long and hard and also came to this forum. In the end I put (205 (55) 16") Michellin MXV 4's on it. I've certainly had not problems with rubbing when turning or when the suspension is working hard.

I'm in Hamilton NZ if you want to chat (07) 843-3498
Cheers = Paul
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that... I may just do that some time. I'm in Whangarei by the way. I'm surprised you were able to get the MXV4. Was that the plain MXV4 or the MXV4 S8 ? Michelin seem to have some pretty poor dealers in NZ, certainly in Whangarei where there is only one and they keep hardly any stock.

In that general type of tyre they have XM1 or MXV8 and thats basically it. (Apart from specialty ones like Pilots etc) When I presented them with the brochures I'd printed off the internet for some of the other types, like the MXV4 S8 and the Hydroedge series, I got the big sales talk that those types "can't handle New Zealand roads" due to our "3rd world roads with hard chip surfaces" and therefore aren't imported to New Zealand :rolleyes:

Mind you the sales guy was full of bull anyway, when we were asking him about the relative ride quality of the two, and pointed out that the suspension on the car had a big effect on the ride quality as well he proceeded to try and tell me (and Dad) who are both long time Citroen owners (and dad a retired mechanic) that its "only the tyres that determine the ride, the suspension is only there to give you the damping"........ *snigger* ...whatever mate :joker: (and he was supposedly the NZ rep for Michelin who happened to be visiting the local dealer at the time when we went in....)

Never did like sales people... I usually find I have to work my way around sales people to get what I want, rather than them being helpful or informed....

Regards,
Simon

Last edited:
kermit said:
The XM1 is a low grade tyre, only one Michelin make that comes in 13". The MXV8 is for luxury cars. I wouldn't be puting either of those on a Xantia.
Maybe. But I've owned ours for 115,000 and don't mind chucking it around enthusiastically. I'd say the best tyres we ever had were the MXV3 s as supplied, but the XM1's run them fairly close for grip, are slightly quieter and seem to be wearing perhaps a little better. And they were $50 a corner less than the MXV3's. Whatever, I think the XM1s do seem to suit the car and are excellent value.

With 195/60/15 I think you can get MXV8 - $30 a corner more RRP is Aus - might be worth the extra.

p.s. tyre pressures 38/34 :)