WTD - Hubcap removal key - 2004 Megane

IWS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
This may well be a "hens-teeth" search - but does anyone have a spare-to-requirements hubcap removal key for a 2004 Megane?

1618383964160.png

1618384008336.png

The key for the hubcaps on my daughter's car has been lost - somehow :mad:

I've considered fabricating one - but thought it worth checking here first :)

Ian.

Ian, is that not a "security" key arrangement? If so, you may make your own by casting (say Dynasteel - others available) one from Epoxy Putty.
John

Ian, is that not a "security" key arrangement? If so, you may make your own by casting (say Dynasteel - others available) one from Epoxy Putty.
John
That is an interesting suggestion. I've not used Epoxy Putty - but I get the idea. I'd have to make a mould for the "key" projections. I'll think on this ...

Ian.

That is an interesting suggestion. I've not used Epoxy Putty - but I get the idea. I'd have to make a mould for the "key" projections. I'll think on this ...

Ian.
I had made a "key" from such epoxy putty not too long ago using a steel impregnated putty (Supercheap had it) for the security wheel bolt for a BMW that was missing.
I was going to attempt to remove that security bolt with my "cast key" but as I had to use a 800mm extension to remove some of the other bolts, I did not attempt it as no way would it have stood up to that torque.
However with the key that I had made, I was able to visit a BMW dealer that was able to locate an original using my cast one.
John,
PS: Goes without saying that as the epoxy is a very good adhesive, your "mold" has to be well lubricated so that the cast key can be removed.

This may well be a "hens-teeth" search - but does anyone have a spare-to-requirements hubcap removal key for a 2004 Megane?

View attachment 132117

View attachment 132118

The key for the hubcaps on my daughter's car has been lost - somehow :mad:

I've considered fabricating one - but thought it worth checking here first :)

Ian.
This screw is a way of fixing the centre cap to the rim, nothing to do with security. If your car came with factory fitted alloys their should be a special key in the tool kit. If not a pair of needle nose pliers will do the job ! Also check the wreckers .
Alain

I know that this is a simple fixing screw for the hubcap - not a security device - and we have been able get it undone with needle nose pliers (but that is not ideal). The key WAS in the tool kit, but has been lost along the way - hence my quest here. A trip to the wreckers may be next on the list - or I'll have a go at fabricating something. The latter should not be too hard.

If I use the quick setting epoxy putty to make a mould (#4 above) - what would I use as lubricant? Soapy water? or oil?

Ian.

I used good old Vaseline as the release agent when making some moulded parts. JB Weld was the epoxy.

Reactions: IWS
I used good old Vaseline as the release agent when making some moulded parts. JB Weld was the epoxy.
I concur. However these epoxy putties are very good adhesives in their own right and hence with a small relatively stiff brush, ensure that you brush the vaseline in all nooks and crannies. As a further precaution, I coat item to be molded with a dry on spray lubricant (ask me why).
John

1618480689518.png

One of the variations I can see for this tool. I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to drill the end of a piece of rod (metal or nylon?) and insert 3 suitable pins. I guess there isn't much load involved as the tools seems to be plastic anyway. The centre pin could be redundant, or maybe the easiest to insert with a small lathe job. Have you just tried buying a new one?

Another idea would be to use a body washer (or metal disc), drill 3 x 5mm (or whatever) holes around the centre and put in 3 x 5mm screws with a nut done up to the washer, leaving 3 threaded ends protruding. Another bolt/screw facing the opposite direction to attach a wing nut and locknut.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: COL
View attachment 132152

One of the variations I can see for this tool. I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to drill the end of a piece of rod (metal or nylon?) and insert 3 suitable pins. I guess there isn't much load involved as the tools seems to be plastic anyway. The centre pin could be redundant, or maybe the easiest to insert with a small lathe job. Have you just tried buying a new one?

Another idea would be to use a body washer (or metal disc), drill 3 x 5mm (or whatever) holes around the centre and put in 3 x 5mm screws with a nut done up to the washer, leaving 3 threaded ends protruding. Another bolt/screw facing the opposite direction to attach a wing nut and locknut.

Cheers.

I've not explore buying a new one. I expect that the Renault spare parts people may give a "computer says no" response to a request for an arcane item for a 2004 model car. :) And/or cost in getting one from France just not worth it!

I'd been thinking along the lines of the washer/protruding nuts, with wing nut and lock bolt. Might be the best solution. :)

Ian.

Tons of them on eBay UK. Couple of Australian listings at $30-40. Try dealer, might surprise one way or the other!
Suggest fabricate one, then shortly afterwards you will find the original in the glove box or tucked away in a corner of the boot!