WTB working wiper motor for early 504

chrisw

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Last stage of restoration of 504 injection, and fell at the last hurdle. Looking for a working wiper motor...

Chris

Are you sure it isn't just the linkages gummed up ? Someone posted about this a few months ago and that was their problem. You may get a new motor and find the situation unchanged.

Otherwise, our member Ian Robbo sells secondhand stuff, and if anyone has one it will be him.

I agree with Beano. I found with my 203 restoration that disassembly and cleaning of all wiper components followed by light lubrication solved a similar problem.
I'm probably stating the obvious but it's easy to overlook such 'small' things. Robbo would be helpful I'm sure. Good luck anyway! 🎅

Thanks both,

I did disassemble the unit and clean everything up - it is disconnected from the wipers themselves and is just getting very very hot with no movement! Unless there is a trick I am missing I think it is dead.

Did you test the movement of the arms with the motor removed?
I may have a motor but I need to know what brand you have there are about 3 variations and each one has a different drive adaptor.

Thanks both,

I did disassemble the unit and clean everything up - it is disconnected from the wipers themselves and is just getting very very hot with no movement! Unless there is a trick I am missing I think it is dead.
as with beans. and see CES I have found the driven shaft from wiper motor (has drive legs on it that drive rubber goes into) quite often gums up, pivot spindles as well, just a matter of dismantle clean lube and reassemble. maybe a check of motor earthing as well......... jim

as with beans. and see CES I have found the driven shaft from wiper motor (has drive legs on it that drive rubber goes into) quite often gums up, pivot spindles as well, just a matter of dismantle clean lube and reassemble. maybe a check of motor earthing as well......... jim
gawd still didn't, do spell check, apologies to beano and Dee
gawd didn,t do spell check, apologies, to beano and dee cee, jim

Great suggestions but tried most of that. The shaft at the wiper end (mounted to the car) is turning the spindles. And there are nice sparks coming from the earth when I play with it. Ian, mine is from a 1972 - I am not there at the moment but will check the make when I get back in a day or two. It is the type with the claw-like assembly that drives the wipers if that helps.

I had a 1972 504 and the linkages underneath the dash were very stiff. And that was around 1985 when it was only 13 years old !

I squirted in some WD40 and everything went fine. Nowadays I would use something like Inox, then afterwards, some spray lithium grease.

I had a 1972 504 and the linkages underneath the dash were very stiff. And that was around 1985 when it was only 13 years old !

I squirted in some WD40 and everything went fine. Nowadays I would use something like Inox, then afterwards, some spray lithium grease.
Thanks - will make sure that is ok.

Stripped it down and the coils and motor are totally corroded to dust. At least that identifies the problem!

Oh well....the linkages have to be good anyway....that old grease gets very stiff

'Driven' has just made a great suggestion. It is marvellous what small businesses will hang onto rather than throw away......... They leave that to the big dealerships! It's a very, very, useful form of automotive treasure trove.........no real pirates, either! ⚔️ Good Luck!