WTB: Timing Chain Set and Camshaft Lock Tool for EP6DTS (N18)

Topaz

Fellow Frogger
*Because Death Rattle*

Hi All,

I've been searching online and can only find the timing chain kit and the locking tool that fits on EP6 (N12 and N14) engines and nothing that specifically says it fits in the EP6DTS (N18) engine. Can anyone confirm that is infact the same? Or if I do need one that specifically fits on the EP6DTS (N18)?

P.S. I've found some timing chains for the EP6DTS in the UK, it's just the locking tool that I can't find.
These are the EP6 (N12 & N14) compatible ones:
304718 - Timing Tool Kits | Toledo
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engine-...EOT-CITROEN-PAS-N12-N14-R55-R56-/272980920612

Mini Adventure on YouTube has a good overview (only need Part 2 and 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qySLGAD7DRg

Last edited:
Here's something specific, p 185 of the Toledo/Tridon catalogue.

Screenshot-2.jpg
The Facom catalogue lists the tools also.

Last edited:
Those cheap Chinese cast kits have a lot of play in the cam lock engagement. You will need a milled down spanner to hold the cam while you tighten the Cam Pulley and a bevel box to check cam angle otherwise cam degree will be out significantly. I've used them- they get the job done but you need to know how to get the cam timing right to the degree. AST or Laser do much better timing kits, Factory kit is best. All significantly more expensive however.

All those kits will fit the 156hp engine, the 200hp and 118hp NA engine judging by the photos you've linked.

Edit:

Here is an ebay link to the Laser kit which includes a bevel box. (may find it cheaper elsewhere.)
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=LASER+TOOLS+6814&_sacat=03

Well, for the moment, it's the $66 kit and a 27mm spanner to rotate the cam and the videos I've seen on YouTube.

The car is off the road at the moment anyway, so I'll suck it and see.

The exhaust cam bolt snapped! Plus the cams and valve springs were covered in sludge... What could this have done to my valves? Especially since I have been trying to start the car. Is there enough clearance for the pistons not to hit the valves?

Epilogue: New timing chain and sprockets and spark plugs installed and the top of the engine is now clean. Two oil changes in quick succession are next.

The spark plugs were toast
VLGUFX6.jpg

The rest of the exhaust cam bolt still in the hole
Vy5PQDE.jpg

Slugde!
I7qp6Xc.jpg

Mostly cleaned
TIcMeAx.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: Main issue was the vacuum pump had seized.

Head is now off and as suspected, there are some bent exhaust valves (luckily only 2). The sludge in this this is amazing. Even an oil change wouldn't have cleaned this out. I have already done the PCV delete so after this is cleaned out and run through a couple of quick oil changes it it should be much better.

TO BE INSTALLED:
New vacuum pump
New timing chain kit including both sprockets
New head bolts
New valves (x2)
New HPFP tube (that runs to the fuel rail)
New gaskets, spark plugs, camshaft sensor

Head Off (Exhaust manifold left on, lol)
4xeZcV5.jpg

More Sludge!
7JFKIEw.jpg

Bent Vacuum Pump Vane
z2ymNo1.jpg

2 Bent Valves
AGPqrd8.jpg

Any theory on that sludge? It wasn't caused by out-of-timing.

Any theory on that sludge? It wasn't caused by out-of-timing.
I'm guessing different oil mixtures and the PCV system and possibly an oil pump issue. The car is still jacked byt the sump with the engine mount off. It's on the list to check and clean at least.

I've had the car since December and the vacuum pump failed in August. It was close to the end when I bought it and in hindsight the death rattle on startup was pretty bad for the last 3-4 months.

dmccurtayne - thanks for the offer but I've just had the quote for the parts ($500) from Peugeot. This is on top of the timing chain set and locking tool that I've already bought. In total, about a grand including a couple of oil changes when it's all back together.

Good learning experience but some of the clips, hoses are a PITA to get at! The thermostat housing is an intricate little bastard...

I'm guessing different oil mixtures and the PCV system and possibly an oil pump issue.
My guess would the wrong oil and the wrong oil change interval.

This obviously follows with the wrong interval for the spark plugs too, judging from your photo.

I'd be amazed if it's been serviced at all by the previous owners.

Last edited:
The plugs work hard and are only good for 40K.

Valves have been replaced (they had to come from France and took ages to make and deliver). Engine reassembled with new brake vacuum pump as well. It actually started and I drove to get a new battery but it was severely down on power!

Took the intake off and noticed the turbo wasn't spinning and that the oil feed line was blocked. Now doing a turbo rebuild and will order new lines and gasket for the oil cooler

XHPJVW4.jpg

lbquZyg.jpg

New vacuum pump
GNC5yQp.jpg

Turbo
tPdB2Vy.jpg

Exhaust part of turbo and oil cooler mount location
UY1Yi0u.jpg

Oil/Coolant Cooler
Hvn19Yi.jpg