WRC Rally car noise

renaulturbo

Tadpole
Hi all,

Does anyone know what makes that awesome sound on the WRC cars when they come off the throttle? I guess its the same but not as good noise most VL turbo's make....One of my mates sez that its the noise the intercooler makes when you dont run blow off valve, his tried it on his EVOIII and reckons it made it slower

i used to have a VL-turbo, was boosted and had no blow-off just a exturnal waste gate, the noise your thinking about is when the waste gate opens to vent the unused/excess gases.

get a big burbly sounding exhausted and a pod filter and you will be close to the sound and you jump back on the gas.

..... intercolers make NO noise. The WRC cars noise if a combination of Waste-gate fluter and compressor wheel cutting through the back pressure.
My mate has recently built a turbo pug, and he rus NO airfilter on the snail, no blow-off either, his car has an almost exact noise replica (beit MUCH more quiet).... nice.
Photos and details coming....- chris

Chris, you should hear it early in the morning in the big trees in the SW WA forests...hair up on the back of the neck stuff...

Stuey

Guys most of the noise you hear is a combination of the anti-lag system and wastegate. That awesome cracking sound is the unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust and igniting by the anti-lag system.

MYT205:
Guys most of the noise you hear is a combination of the anti-lag system and wastegate. That awesome cracking sound is the unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust and igniting by the anti-lag system.
and this device is called BANG-BANG ....combined with open BOV and you have all the noise you need
:cool:

That's one thing I miss big-time about my WRX-STi - the sound of anti-lag in the WA forests on a cruise..

That and the immediate on-boost power out of a tight-hairpin that used to accompany it :)

I miss the RWD of my ex-bathurst Alfa. Sure it was ugly and bent... but faarkkk it was fun in the dirt..lol. Would hev loved it in the WA forests, but was awesome at Ulladulla. - chris

ps WRX2PUG, what sti series did you have?

Stuey:
Chris, you should hear it early in the morning in the big trees in the SW WA forests...hair up on the back of the neck stuff...

Stuey
Oh yeah baby, that sound is bloody magical.
From what I've been told, the banging is the engine computer purposly misfiring the engine on a trailing throttle. This dumps unburnt fuel into the exhaust manifold where it is ignited by the next charge of burning exhaust to come through. this exsplosion in the manifold keeps the turbo blades spinning at full whack and means that when they jump on the throttle coming out of a wicked slide through a corner, the engine has full boost straight up.
But most importantly, it sounds amazing :D
The Hyundai WRC cars in particular were really loud, I'm amazed the whole exhaust didnt explode and fall off!!

CHRI'S16
[QB My mate has recently built a turbo pug, and he rus NO airfilter on the snail, no blow-off either, his car has an almost exact noise replica (beit MUCH more quiet).... nice.
Photos and details coming....- chris[/QB]
Any news on those details and photo....

I wouldn't mind attaching a hair-dryer on the side of a Mi16 engine, (when i get one) but what would it cost... would it be worth it??? Nice Front Mount, i think i saw somewhere, the T16 used a Garret T3, but then i thought i saw somewhere else about a T25, one might have been an upgrade..

Chris, the STi that I had was a MY99 Version 6 with a VF30 turbo, Autronics ECU with anti-lag :) , 3 inch exhaust, great suspension etc - very quick car. I sold it to a guy in Sydney who navigates for one of the Subaru rally teams and sends me pics of my car going through watersplashes etc - at least it's being driven and enjoyed as they should be.

Mitch, I've been doing a bit of research on turbocharging the Mi16 and have chatted with numerous people on the UK 205gtidrivers forum where a few guys have done this mod. There are a couple of places in Finland, one of which I believe still sells an exhaust/turbo manifold for the Mi16 <a href="http://www.streetturbo.fi/Kuvat/mi16.jpg" target="_blank">SEE HERE</a> but the rest of the job is all custom.

Cheers
Steve

<small>[ 03 October 2003, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>

just to answer the Q's.
Much respect for your STi, love the bark of the boxer on boost.
As for the Turbo pug, well its only an 8v XT 94 306. He did EVERYTHING himself! Its finished but having a Microtech micro fueller dyno/sorted for the 2 extra injectors hes put on. Even now, its fudging, quick and i have to play serious catch up. In the midrange he just leaves my S16 and my mates 206GTi for dead then in the upper revs we catch up, but come next gear he is off again... the car is older and much heavier too.(full sick stereo bro! subs amps etc).
I promise photos and details coming.
-chris

Cheers for that link Steve.. ib'll lobok into it...

I myself, am not Mechanically minded, but my mate has been in the industry fr a while, as has some very nice contacts.

I will use these to the best of my ability..

Hopefully soon i will be able to pull my finger out of my rear end, get some money together, and get this PUG... Fingers Crossed..

And Chris, looking for to seeing those photo's when available

Just a tiny bit more info re the Mi16 turbo manifold. I spoke with the guys in Finland and they currently want around 400 Euros for it (roughly A$800) - I guess I'll add it to the budget with all my other dream bits and pieces :)

Steve

Cheers for that..

will have to add it done on mine as well... if it happens is another story...
for the time being. i just gotta get me my Mi16, *luls off into a dream* heheh