WRC - 2021 - Secto Rally Finland 2021 - Spoiler Alert

Pleased to see a night stage in WRC! Back in the day nearly all my rallying was after dark with an occasional morning daylight finish!

Pleased to see a night stage in WRC! Back in the day nearly all my rallying was after dark with an occasional morning daylight finish!
The lighting has improved out of sight in recent years, but I suspect so have the speeds, 180 + kph at night of dirt roads in an interesting prospect, but at least one of the drivers loved it.

"You don't go when you can't see!" I think that bit of wisdom was attributed to Bob Watson......

Results

1. Evans 2.19.13,7

2. Tänak +14,1

3. Breen +42,2

4. Lappi +58,8

5. Ogier +2.54,4

6. Greensmith +5.02,3

Super high flying. If you can't win the rally, you can try to break the record for the longest jump to get noticed.

Note the height and the 55 m marker. The driver is Adrien Fourmaux. Love the official distance markers, helps to keep the audience hyped up.

WRC Finland flier 1.png

Well past the 60 m mark and still in the air. I read some comments saying he made it to the 70 m mark.

WRC Finland flier 2.png

That is just so bizarre... I've just checked: minimum mass 1190kg. The car in the top photo must be 3m in the air. When it lands, the damper/springs can absorb all the energy, with essentially a single rebound movement.

I still shake my head in disbelief that Tanak won in 2019 in the Toyota, then moved to Hyundai.. What was he thinking?!
And here we are again; Ogier in the points lead. If he wins this year, then that is just one more win to equal Loeb. Now, one could have been forgiven for saying, after Loeb retired, that noone could possibly ever do that again. And the next guy to come along has almost done it.

Last edited:
I still shake my head in disbelief that Tanak won in 2019 in the Toyota, then moved to Hyundai.. What was he thinking?!

From reading the Finnish media, I suspect that he was either chasing the dollars or may have had issues with Tommi, or perhaps little from column A and some from column B?

That is just so bizarre... I've just checked: minimum mass 1190kg. The car in the top photo must be 3m in the air. When it lands, the damper/springs can absorb all the energy, with essentially a single rebound movement.

I agree, but there is plenty of footage on YouTube of the big jumps going spectacularly wrong. Even in this rally, in one of the lesser categories one (older Evo I thing) took off slightly crossed up and soon after landing had a massive end for end with pirouette, it wasn't pretty.

Last edited: