Worthwhile Fregate?

Step into my office, I have one of these.

There is at least one other in NZ but I'm not sure where, I have a photo of it somewhere. In OZ there are 3 road going Fregates on the Eastern seaboard and one in the west undergoing restoration and probably 5 or 6 in sheds in various stages of disrepair.

The car pictured looks very complete and drivable and the upholstery looks good enough to keep as is. Parts for these cars are available and there are even body panels available in OZ from time to time. They are well worth taking on because of their rarity, simplicity and quirky looks. I restored mine from a paddock wreck and I am quite the amateur so your car will be even easier to tidy up if that's you intention.

This one is in a museum over there somewhere and is also a 56.

NZ.JPG

It is certainly in great and useable condition. Keep it as it is drive it and enjoy owning a rare car in NZ. There are a few in France of course but they are far from common around the world.

I had an identical car back in 1980, drove it as a daily after spending $$$$ on it. Now, I'm a Reno addict and the poor old Frigate just left me cold. Too big, too heavy, motor in wrong end, handled crap, nearly killed me heaps of times. BUT if you want it to potter around at 80kph in, bit different I suppose.

I had an identical car back in 1980, drove it as a daily after spending $$$$ on it. Now, I'm a Reno addict and the poor old Frigate just left me cold. Too big, too heavy, motor in wrong end, handled crap, nearly killed me heaps of times. BUT if you want it to potter around at 80kph in, bit different I suppose.
Cars don't kill people, people kill people. :deal:

Just because it's got a Reno badge doesn't mean it a great car!! Reno produce their fair share of absolute crap. After owning probably 100 Reno's just ask me. :(

The old Frigate has the inglourious title of being the car that the head of Renault died in back in 1955. Single car accident. I know just how he felt when the back axle folded under him.