Woo-Hoo ... whoops

XTC

VIC: a fine driving state
1000+ Posts
By Chris Balfe.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_features_section.php?fes_aty_id=1

Less than twelve hours after sending out last week's Newsletter, following a week in which we had seen the departure of Jarno Trulli and the return of Jacques Villeneuve, it was announced that Ford was pulling out of F1 at the end of the season, and intended selling off both Jaguar Racing and Cosworth Racing.

The decision not only affects the future of these two companies, but also Jordan and Minardi, neither of which could be said to be enjoying rude financial health at present. I did a short interview with Paul Stoddart on Sunday, before he headed off to China, the Australian warning that F1 is in crisis and also explaining the three car rule.

In the aftermath, we've a couple of excellent articles from Eoin Young and Mike Lawrence, neither of them surprised by Ford's decision. Also, do check out Bernie Ecclestone's sympathetic view of Jaguar's plight.

Today has been another busy day, with Jordan announcing the departure of Giorgio Pantano, who will be replaced by Timo Glock. Regulars will be aware that we predicted this last week.

I must tell you a quick story re the Ford decision. It was announced in an on-line press conference, to which I was only one, of two, invited 'web journalists'. Basically it's a press conference but it its all done on one open phone line.

Everyone announced themselves and then Richard Parry-Jones began his introduction, announcing that Ford had reached a decision and that Jaguar Racing, as we know it, was finished.

As his speech ended, there was a split-second pause, at which point an e-mail arrived in my inbox. Sadly, my PC is set up so that whenever an e-mail arrives, Homer Simpson shouts "Woo-Hoo".

You've got it: Parry Jones says "And therefore we have decided that at the end of the year we will withdraw from F1 completely... Woo-Hoo." Oh, the shame.

There were immediate reaction... "who said that?" and "what was that?" Now you share my guilty secret.

We'll be here throughout the weekend bringing you all the news, rumours, comments, pictures and just about everything else, as F1 visits China for the first time. For Bernie, surely the ultimate take-away. Do please join us.

Have a great weekend, and enjoy the race.

Chris Balfe
Editor

OK, So the rumours about this call coming from Mark Weber's management weren't true after all. :joker: