Wiper mechanism

ss2115

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
hi.
DS23 1994 - can anyone tell me if the small rose joint type swivel bushes on the wiper mechanisms can be disconnected and how?
I have a nice small ball-joint type cracker that would crack them apart if thats how its done, but I'm too worried they don't/won't snap back together again when I wish to reassemble.
Are they held by a snap ring around the pivot shaft and will just pull apart and snap together again when pushed on?
Or is there some other trick?
Or are they a complete unit not made for separating at all?

My memory is that there is a tiny circlip on the axle that the ball fits over.

But then again, my memory might be a bit fuzzy.

Is that the join you are talking about? Couldn’t zoom in enough, but if it is: remove the circlip and washer and then pry off the rod. Easy.
58691DDF-E06E-4320-A751-D1E45A89691C.jpeg

Hi Buttercup and thank you. I was assuming and hoping there was a small snap ring under the ball joint that compressed into a groove and kept it in place. But I didn't want to try it untill I'd asked.

Hi [B]bleudanube[/B]. Yes - that is indeed the swivel joint I'm referring to. However, none of mine have the circlip as shown in your photo. The groove is there, but no clip. Yet all the the joints stay very tight on their shafts and cannot be budged without a tool to force them apart. Its not something I want to break.

None of mine have circlips. Not a single one of the swivel joints. But they are all tightly in place and have been for many years.
Anyway, I guess it will be okay to try and crack one of them off and see what's going on. I'm hoping there's a snap ring around the post underneath and it will compress and the joint pops off.

The ball joints of the later cars just snap on and off. They are a tight fit and some leverage will be required.

Excellent. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
I'll have a go with the mini ball puller with less fear of breaking it.