Wiper blades - 206

renault8&10

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I had some worn wiper blades on my P206 so recently picked up some Michelin brand from Costco based on the recommendation in their book. They came as complete replacement from the hook on the wiper arm.

Of course now it’s raining and I’ve already thrown the old ones out, the new ones are quite noisy. They sound and look they were catching on something which I thought may have been the black trim on the windscreen so I ground a small amount off the top of the plastic holder.

The blade is still noisy and it looks like the noise is the blade itself rolling back on itself and sort of catching and stumbling. Have others experienced this and is there a recommended brand/source of blades that aren’t noisy or problematic?

Go Autobarn they will even fit for you.
Didn't realise Costco was a spare parts supplier

I now buy blades that have graphite impregnated in the rubber. You can tell because they look slightly shiny like graphite, and if you rub them on your hand they draw a slight grey line. This stops them shuddering. I discovered this when I bought OEM Ford replacements for my wife's Mondeo which (good for Ford) are supplied with the rubber only (literally, no backing) and so are cheap. I then used the same Ford rubbers for my daughter's Astra (after working out it'd fit the frame/mount) because the Mondeo's were longer and could be cut to size. Getting to the point, I noticed they had this graphite and were good presumably because of this.

I've since noticed some of the ones in Supercheap had graphite in them (Tridon or Bosch, I'm not sure).

However, my son insists on OEM Renault ones for his Clio at $24 each and I admit they do work extremely well and last quite long so are worth it.

So, a few ideas there!

I fit Tridon to my C5. You can get them at lots of places. They work well, have the same part number as Valeo original equipment marked on them, look the same, and cost a lot less than those in a Citroen.packet. They aren't noisy.

I had some worn wiper blades on my P206 so recently picked up some Michelin brand from Costco based on the recommendation in their book. They came as complete replacement from the hook on the wiper arm.

Of course now it’s raining and I’ve already thrown the old ones out, the new ones are quite noisy. They sound and look they were catching on something which I thought may have been the black trim on the windscreen so I ground a small amount off the top of the plastic holder.

The blade is still noisy and it looks like the noise is the blade itself rolling back on itself and sort of catching and stumbling. Have others experienced this and is there a recommended brand/source of blades that aren’t noisy or problematic?

Yes the GTi 180 that I recently bought had these Michelin brand wiper arm combos fitted from Costco also. They do exactly as you describe and the right hand edge seems a bit too long and is catching or appears to be catching on the bonnet. Im relying on Rain X to clear the screen at the moment and not to use them too much!
EAI sent out an email recently stating that they stock Valeo now and the pricing seemed good from what I recall.
I use Wipertech (Wipertech.com.au) supplied ones on my Outback and they seem to work well. Valeo ones are slightly cheaper though I think.
I will most likely buy Valeo soon to replace the Michelin branded ones on my 206.

Ian.

Where do you get them Seasink? Special order?

I fit Tridon to my C5. You can get them at lots of places. They work well, have the same part number as Valeo original equipment marked on them, look the same, and cost a lot less than those in a Citroen.packet. They aren't noisy.

Ahhh, I just remembered my son's Clio's wipers that were $24 each included the whole thing, not just the rubber blade and backing. So it just unclips from the arm and swaps over in 5 mins.

Where do you get them Seasink? Special order?
The local bloke who mainly does parts, small garage equipment like trolley jacks, and tools for the trade. He has a shop in the industrial area nearby and keeps the full wiper range hanging on the wall. The C5 uses TFB28TL (Tridon Flexblade 28" top lock)

They are an exact match for the originals, and probably are the originals.

They serve retail customers who happen to drop in. Most trade orders are by phone.

Thanks everyone. I replaced the Michelin’s today with some tridons from supercheap and they are instantly quieter. The new ones are not flexiblades and are the complete replacement product code TBL22 for both sides.

So I think it is the flexiblades that may the problem as that’s what the Michelin’s appear to be.

Might even get a refund from Costco if I can hide the end bit that I ground off.