windscreen wiper motor to suit 504

BarryC

Fellow Frogger
Hello

I'm after a windscreen wiper motor with a known "low KM" (or new ..ha ha ha) pedigree to suit a 1976 504. Hoping that someone ferreted one away for later use and has found it 40 years later .....Car is on club plates but it does get the odd country trip where I want the item to be reliable.

Barry

PS
This thread is now closed.
Thanks for input.

Last edited:
G'day Barry,

Here is one I found on eBay. Are you prepared to pay that much for a new one?

Cheers,
Andrew

Barry,

Is yours burnt out or simply not working. It maybe, that all it needs is a strip down clean out and reassemble. The grease does have a tendency to solidify.

It is not a difficult process, you do not need to remove the armature etc. Any automotive spare parts outlet can supply a small tube of white grease which is ideal for the reassembly. Word of caution, label you wires and and place marks on the gears prior to taking them out. Scratch the gears, don't use a marking pen as it will wash off when you clean the gears.... If you have never done it before, use a digital camera and take photos each time you take something out. Also lay the individual parts out along a bench in the order you took them out (Photograph). Reassembly is then just a simple case of returning in reverse order.

Cheers,

Dano

Yes, willing to do so. Seems genuine new, and I’ve had a number of issues with wrecker’s ones before.

Thanks

QUOTE=505604;1622281]G'day Barry,

Here is one I found on eBay. Are you prepared to pay that much for a new one?

Cheers,
Andrew[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dano

I’ve had a go at one or two before, but my mechanical competence is only average, so, as you have probably seen from the post above, I’m going with the expensive but quick solution. I may have a proper look at the dodgy one when I have some time to keep a spare.

Great to have competent advice
Cheers

Are you sure that your existing one is the problem ?

The linkages between the arms under the dash, inside the car, become frozen with old age. I recall 20 years ago having to squirt stuff into them to free them up. There are also the linkages and bushes on the outside of the car, near the motor.

If your motor has burnt out I recommend free up these linkages in order to not burn ut the new motor. Old grease gets pretty stiff.

I have had good results in the past from dismantling the motor and cleaning everything lubricating and assembling again. I find on my 504 cab that i never drive in rain ,when i turn on the wipers after washing the car they move very slowly at first . now i lift the blades off the screen then turn them on with no resistence to get them moving properly again

Yes, willing to do so. Seems genuine new, and I’ve had a number of issues with wrecker’s ones before.

Thanks
You’re more than welcome, Barry.

But looking at the other responses here, I’d be chasing them before going down the path of that new one. It isn’t just the price of the part, but add the postage, and you are paying a very hefty price. But, that’s up to you, of course.

Andrew

You hit the nail on the head. Shaft seized after 43 years of non-maintenance. mechanic traced it and fixed it. Now the wiper actually wipes vigorously.

Not an accessible place for the average mechanic to access. Certainly not at my level of inflexibility.

Thanks. Hope someone else is reading your solution as well

Ain't no sustitution for a bit of lubrication and elbow grease is there Dano? Although having fixed a few 203 wiper motors I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to wake up to the shaft being the problem. Eventually, one hopes.
Cheers, and nice to know you're still breathing! :cheers:

Sounds like you might try the regrease-all-the-linkages approach as well?

QUOTE=julian c b;1622489]I have had good results in the past from dismantling the motor and cleaning everything lubricating and assembling again. I find on my 504 cab that i never drive in rain ,when i turn on the wipers after washing the car they move very slowly at first . now i lift the blades off the screen then turn them on with no resistence to get them moving properly again[/QUOTE]

I know that this is a little bit off topic, but you live in Melbourne and
I find on my 504 cab that i never drive in rain …
So you never drive your car.

That seems like an awful waste of such a great car.

I didnt say i never drive .i never drive in the rain.I like to drive once a week or fortnight . It doesnt rain all the time in melbourne as people from nsw seem to think