Windscreen replacement

Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Can anyone suggest where I might find a Xantia SII windscreen (with rain sensor)?

My local O'Brien AutoGlass installer can only find Series 1 screens...

Cheers

Alec

I have had replacement for a Cit from a mobile bloke who does the work for the panel beaters here - Glass For Cars, https://glassforcars.com.au/. He could get me genuine or Chinese, suitable for the sensor.

He probably wouldn't go so far,but may be able to help,.

Ralph Moore http://ralphmooreautoglass.com.au/ has been doing flash cars for yonks, and keeps stock

Thanks - if I can find a source of screens I'm half way there! Services N Shore & Northern Beaches - Northern Tablelands is probably a stretch...

I remember when we had to get a new screen for our 307 (>10 yrs ago) that the non-genuine screens were a lot more expensive, but the rain sensor in the non-genuine option was pretty dodgy. Can remember wipers going ridiculously fast in drizzle. Do you think the Chinese make better sensors these days? Probably irrelevant, as no doubt I'll finish up with one that's been gathering dust in a warehouse for 15-20 years...

There is a Chinese screen on one of my Cits, with no sensor trouble. The sensor is inside, but the glass must reflect into it.

Moore has a large stock of old screens.

I am not having a good run lately with replacement parts.

Got a windscreen OK - found that Armidale has more than one windscreen installer - Fast Glass New England was able to source the correct screen from Melbourne. Glad it wasn't me that had to install it - I'm not going to touch it until it's been out in the weather for a few days!

However, although everything looks fine, the rain sensor doesn't work. On the Intermittent setting, the wipers now make a single pass every 5 seconds, irrespective of whether the screen is wet or dry.

There is definitely a sensor installed - you can see the orange light glowing through the tinted band at the top of the windscreen (I was promised that the sensor works with the tinting). If I remove the mirror and unplug the sensor, there is no activity when Intermittent is selected. No obvious problem with the cable and plug, and same 5-second cycle when plugged back in.

Is there any trick that the installer & I have missed? Surely the sensor doesn't need to be activated via Lexia?
Can the sensor be removed from an old screen and re-used? I had assumed that it was delivered as part of the screen, but I was charged extra for the rain sensor (over $100) - ie it was an optional extra!

The sensor is labelled Bosch, Made in France, and looks brand new. It's part# is 9630591380. Looks like it also was used on 306, 605 & XM.

It has crossed my mind that it may be a Chinese knock-off - perfect in appearance but with a simplified, unsatisfactory operation. I have had a very similar problem recently with 2 x fan controllers - look the part, but just run the fan at a slow speed regardless of fan speed setting.

Any advice, war stories etc. gratefully received.

Cheers
Alec

I am not having a good run lately with replacement parts.

Got a windscreen OK - found that Armidale has more than one windscreen installer - Fast Glass New England was able to source the correct screen from Melbourne. Glad it wasn't me that had to install it - I'm not going to touch it until it's been out in the weather for a few days!

However, although everything looks fine, the rain sensor doesn't work. On the Intermittent setting, the wipers now make a single pass every 5 seconds, irrespective of whether the screen is wet or dry.

There is definitely a sensor installed - you can see the orange light glowing through the tinted band at the top of the windscreen (I was promised that the sensor works with the tinting). If I remove the mirror and unplug the sensor, there is no activity when Intermittent is selected. No obvious problem with the cable and plug, and same 5-second cycle when plugged back in.

Is there any trick that the installer & I have missed? Surely the sensor doesn't need to be activated via Lexia?
Can the sensor be removed from an old screen and re-used? I had assumed that it was delivered as part of the screen, but I was charged extra for the rain sensor (over $100) - ie it was an optional extra!

The sensor is labelled Bosch, Made in France, and looks brand new. It's part# is 9630591380. Looks like it also was used on 306, 605 & XM.

It has crossed my mind that it may be a Chinese knock-off - perfect in appearance but with a simplified, unsatisfactory operation. I have had a very similar problem recently with 2 x fan controllers - look the part, but just run the fan at a slow speed regardless of fan speed setting.

Any advice, war stories etc. gratefully received.

Cheers
Alec

When I had the windscreen replaced in my Renault Laguna the original sensor was put onto the new windscreen.

What I think is wrong is that the clear silicone pads that go between the rain sensor and the windscreen are missing. These are required as an interface between the sensor and the glass of the windscreen. The clear silicone has the same light refraction as the windscreen glass. Without these silicone pads the light from the sensor is not transmitted through the glass.

When I got my Laguna the auto wiper function was not working, when I removed the sensor I could see that one of the silicone pads was missing. I replaced the silicone pad and now all is good.

I would check that these silicone pad/pads are in place, (I could be wrong but I reckon they are missing) and if not I would be returning to the windscreen place for an explanation to why they left them out.

Forget Ralph Moore, he appears to be gone but hasn’t taken down his website etc.

I just looked at my Citroen with the Chinese screen (see above). The black plastic housing abuts the glass without any pads. The sensor light might be covered by clear plastic. It isn't easy to be sure just looking through the windscreen. The system works.

Edit: Looking more closely the "clear plastic" is a pad.

Last edited:
When I had the windscreen replaced in my Renault Laguna the original sensor was put onto the new windscreen.

What I think is wrong is that the clear silicone pads that go between the rain sensor and the windscreen are missing. These are required as an interface between the sensor and the glass of the windscreen. The clear silicone has the same light refraction as the windscreen glass. Without these silicone pads the light from the sensor is not transmitted through the glass.

When I got my Laguna the auto wiper function was not working, when I removed the sensor I could see that one of the silicone pads was missing. I replaced the silicone pad and now all is good.

I would check that these silicone pad/pads are in place, (I could be wrong but I reckon they are missing) and if not I would be returning to the windscreen place for an explanation to why they left them out.

So how do you remove the sensor? If it's easy to remove, why did the installers make me buy a new one?

So how do you remove the sensor? If it's easy to remove, why did the installers make me buy a new one?

I'm not sure I own a Renault and can only tell you what my experiences are. I know that there has to be proper contact of the sensor to the windscreen.

Does it look like this rain sensor?

https://www.ebay.com/c/1709380401

If so it is similar to whats in my Laguna and there are two silicone pads that need to be between the sensor and the windscreen for it to work properly.

There are little green plastic bits on the end that you squeeze in to release the sensor from the windscreen. There will be two metal frames that are bonded to the screen.

I'm not sure I own a Renault and can only tell you what my experiences are. I know that there has to be proper contact of the sensor to the windscreen.

Does it look like this rain sensor?

https://www.ebay.com/c/1709380401

If so it is similar to whats in my Laguna and there are two silicone pads that need to be between the sensor and the windscreen for it to work properly.

There are little green plastic bits on the end that you squeeze in to release the sensor from the windscreen. There will be two metal frames that are bonded to the screen.

That's exactly the one - exact part number! I had seen the green bits, but couldn't work out what they were for. For the record, you pull the green bits out to to release the sensor - they are push-in clips.

The gel pads are there. They looked like they had gormy fingerprints on them, so I cleaned them with metho. No change - still the 5 second fixed interval wipe. Forgot to clean the windscreen though, so had better try again - but I'm not holding my breath.

Just checked the 406, and it has an almost identical unit (except for the electrical plug). It also defaulted to a 5 second wipe when removed from the screen, but (thankfully) worked properly when reinstalled. Manufacturer information molded into plastic on 406 unit, just a sticker on the new one.

What I find particularly annoying is that the installer didn't explain that the sensor was transferable. Yes, I said I wanted a screen with a sensor, but it should have been obvious from our conversation that I believed the sensor to be part of the screen. When I collected it the receptionist explained that the new sensor cost extra ($100? - not separately listed on the invoice). I am going to phone them on Monday and suggest that someone needs to go dumpster diving - I want my perfectly functional sensor back!

That's exactly the one - exact part number! I had seen the green bits, but couldn't work out what they were for. For the record, you pull the green bits out to to release the sensor - they are push-in clips.

The gel pads are there. They looked like they had gormy fingerprints on them, so I cleaned them with metho. No change - still the 5 second fixed interval wipe. Forgot to clean the windscreen though, so had better try again - but I'm not holding my breath.

Just checked the 406, and it has an almost identical unit (except for the electrical plug). It also defaulted to a 5 second wipe when removed from the screen, but (thankfully) worked properly when reinstalled. Manufacturer information molded into plastic on 406 unit, just a sticker on the new one.

What I find particularly annoying is that the installer didn't explain that the sensor was transferable. Yes, I said I wanted a screen with a sensor, but it should have been obvious from our conversation that I believed the sensor to be part of the screen. When I collected it the receptionist explained that the new sensor cost extra ($100? - not separately listed on the invoice). I am going to phone them on Monday and suggest that someone needs to go dumpster diving - I want my perfectly functional sensor back!

Its possible the replacement sensor is a dud.

The sensor; silicone pads and the windscreen need to be spotless so that the light refraction is constant through the whole system.

The windscreen place should of checked that the sensor was working properly. I provided the place that did my windscreen with a spray bottle of water and mentioned that they need to check that it functions. I would be going back there and getting them to fix the issue.

I agree - they should have checked the sensor! I would be there first thing Monday morning - but we will be leaving for Canberra before they open. Perhaps I'll duck around tomorrow to see if their big bin is accessible - my job was the last one done before closing on Friday, so my old screen should be on top.

Fast glass said they didn't replace the sensor - just the pads. Wife & I have gone to Canberra for a week, so will take it in when I get back.
No raiding the dumpster - it was all locked up.

Is it really necessary to replace pads when windscreen is replaced?

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no reason to change the silicone pads.

Just out of interest do the pads protrude past the sensor? as there is no air gap allowed between the sensor and pads; and also between the windscreen and pads. Otherwise the system will not work.