Will a 206 gearbox fit a 306?

Ginch

Fellow Frogger
Hi all. I find myself having to replace the gearbox in my 2000 model 306 XSI 2 litre. Very very soon by the sound of it!!
Having trouble locating one in Victoria... mainly because the wreckers are closed over the Xmas period.

So I see there is one available in Sunshine from a 206 (I know they are open because I spoke to the guy about a 306 gearbox they had on ebay but then withdrew the ad because they couldn't find it!! :cry:) -

Peugeot 206 GTi 2004 model 5 SPEED MANUAL GEAR BOX to suit a 2.0 Litre DOHC 4 cylinder engine in good working order with a low 71,720 kms on the odometer.

Engine number Prefix is EW10J4.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PEUGEOT...NGINE-WARRANTY-/231012739752?oid=191579252936

My engine is a XU104JR, does anyone know about the compatibility between them? Thanks, Michael

206 has a hydraulic actuated clutch, 306 has a cable clutch

Ginch,

Have you tried French Connection in Airport West? (They sponsor this forum).

Ian.

Thanks guys. Yes I have (they were the first I tried and have bought from them previously) but no answer, I assume they're on holidays still.

I'm pretty confident we'd have one. (French connection) 206 will not work for you. We reopen on the 7th (amongst my dismay, I'm currently in a caravan park in victor harbor).

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks Stuey, and thanks David! No doubt Victor Harbour is absolutely crazy and you'll be happy to get back to work for a bit of peace and quiet! :joker:

I'll call on Monday, have a safe trip.

Thanks Stuey, and thanks David! No doubt Victor Harbour is absolutely crazy and you'll be happy to get back to work for a bit of peace and quiet! :joker:

I'll call on Monday, have a safe trip.
I'm actually David's son. I'm Chris, but we work together!

I've got a BE3 gearbox to suit XU engine that you can have for nothing. Condition unknown (been in the shed for years), but I don't think I would have kept it if it had a problem.

You may need to change the bell housing over to a pull type clutch.

Thanks Demannu! That is quite close to my budget as it happens! :joker:

Mine has the electronic type speedo sensor, do you happen to know if that's a straightforward swap? Assuming the one on yours is the mechanical kind?
I'll take you up on your very kind offer if the speedo can be made to work... I've sent you a private message.

You may need to change the bell housing over to a pull type clutch.

Cheers Graham, sounds like that may be an option if necessary.

Sorry, just need to change the clutch shaft not the whole bell housing.
Thanks Demannu! That is quite close to my budget as it happens! :joker:

Mine has the electronic type speedo sensor, do you happen to know if that's a straightforward swap? Assuming the one on yours is the mechanical kind?
I'll take you up on your very kind offer if the speedo can be made to work... I've sent you a private message.

Cheers Graham, sounds like that may be an option if necessary.

As already posted a be4 (206) bell housing will not suit an Xu motor due to the ew motor sitting at a different angle than the Xu. From memory they do actually bolt up but it will put the diff in the wrong spot.

You can however swap bell housings over from be3 to 4- it requires you to dissassemble the whole casing though.

The speed sensor will swap over from all Be gearboxes.

Finally you can also purchase a bracket+fork from psa to convert hydraulic clutch be4 gearboxes to cable. Lhd 206 gti180 and some smaller psa vans had cable be4 boxes.

I would be looking for the serial code on your gearbox and searching with that. It should be something like 20dp** ie- 20dp10. Usually on the front of the gearbox.