Who said manual R25's are rare??

Skippy

Fellow Frogger
From the trading post website...

Renault 25 GTX 1986 rare man, reg 12/02, GWOrder, eng:JF1060621, $1600ono (03) 97596254 Ferntree Gully

RENAULT 25 1989 (unleaded), 5 speed manual, central locking, cruise control, above average condition, $6000 negotiable, PJR-325 OLD TOONGABBIE 0425-23 8722

Yes, I saw the two cars.

Doesn't happen very often though!

That one for $6,000 would want to be in excellent condition .

Thanks

Luke your very correct. The last one beter be in pretty good condition i guess for that sort of cash.....Id rather a Renault 21 personally.
(just my opinion)

danielsydney:
Luke your very correct. The last one beter be in pretty good condition i guess for that sort of cash.....Id rather a Renault 21 personally.
(just my opinion)
....with a poker dot paint job im sure :D roll_lau

Erm....silly question,

Why would you want a 21 over a 25, at any price?

They're both essentially the same car except the 25 is loaded to the brim with goodies...and the 21 is low rent and uglier (imo).....

<small>[ 18 November 2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
________
Water bong

Last edited:
I would love both of them if someone was going to pass one onto me.
I thought though the 21 was a later model than the 25.
I think they are both great cars however. Im not knocking any of them. I love them.

danielsydney:
I think they are both great cars however. Im not knocking any of them. I love them.
I think an R21 auto would be a worthy successor to your R19...sad really cheers! renault_

<small>[ 18 November 2002, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

R21 is a later model, using essentially the same floorpan as a Laguna (Mcpherson struts and torsion bar trailing arms). Is a lot lighter than the R25 and with the 4sp auto (or manual) is quicker. I had my friends series 2 Marsielle up to 185 kph and she was still accelerating.

<small>[ 19 November 2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

danielsydney:
Newer/Older - It's not much of a comparison though, like comparing apples with oranges - the cars were designed for different purposes.

Sort of like comparing a Laguna II with a Vel Satis. Different cars for different reasons.

ahhh,
I wasn't aware the 21s used different suspension to the 25.

The 21s were released in 86 in europe and the 25s in 83....at least in "numerical design age", there isn't much between them :D

I did know they were a fair bit lighter and that the turbos *really* hammered (as in 0-100 in 7-8sec i read somewhere)

The 21s (at least the early ones) i've seen here in aus though were in pretty basic trim and reviews at the time pretty much dismissed them as being poor value for money and dull (for a renault).
________
Curvy Cam

Last edited:
DTwo:
ahhh,
The 21s (at least the early ones) i've seen here in aus though were in pretty basic trim and reviews at the time pretty much dismissed them as being poor value for money and dull (for a renault).
I suppose that is why I always refer to a 21 was a French Magna. Adequate but dull....

Oz only got fairly high spec (electric stuff, big motor, A/C, usually auto etc) TXE R21 sedans with the 2.2 J7T motor as seen in R25s. I had a GTS wagon with the 1.7 carb engine (seen here in R19s) in Europe - bloody great car. I dont think a Magna would have been as fun at 160 kph plus on german Autobarns, on windy Austrian mountain roads, or playing dodgem with pyschopathic italian drivers. A little dull in looks maybe, but still has that certain french elegance, and like all french cars they have engines that love to be thrashed and grip on corners like shit to a blanket.

I agree Haakon. I do like the 21 a lot. A friend of nine had a Nevada wagon in Sth America and he loved it. He used to thrash it out on the freeways over there. He always said he had problems with the brakes though..

Simon
I suppose that is why I always refer to a 21 was a French Magna. Adequate but dull....[/QB]
Right on Simon.

Dull unimaginative, lack lustre and unreliable to boot.....

A friend of mine has had a bad French Magna experience over the last few years..wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. I can't quite work out why the particular car is such a pos....the other ones I have test driven all seem a bit tacky and cheap, plus the majority are the ultra reliable and cheap to fix auto versions....ha ha bloody ha.

Funnily enough my mates car is a manual....not the ultra reliable bullet proof manual...but the
disintergrating crown wheel version with the incredibly expensive clutch, dodgy sensors and the ratshit electrics ...as for ease of service try changing the heater fan unit in an afternoon....as I said ha bloody ha.

After the umpteenth major disaster I started thinking that the vehicle in question was actually a third world copy of the real thing, cunningly crafted from melted Kingfisher Lager cans on the banks of the Ganges....

My kid's Lada Samara is a better vehicle. mallet mallet cheers!

As you would all imagine, I am a R25 man and would certainly go an R25 over a R21.
However, not having driven a R21, I can make a fair call.
They certainly sold in huge quantities in Europe, and were very, very successful.

I wouln't mind a Nevada Wagon, with the 2.2 motor and the digital dash!

Ciao

Hi Luke et al,

When I was in Barcelona in 2000, half of the taxis seemed to be 21's so they must have advantages to operate in that mode and are obviously reliable. A guy there told me they made heaps of them in Spain. There weren't too many elswhere on the roads in Southern Spain and the South of France, but you could buy things like headlights and tail lights from the racks at the Green Light auto chain stores so there must be quite a few about still.

It is difficult to tell from a distance if you are looking at a norh south version or the east west version.

None of the 21's I have driven has felt anywhere near as solid as a 25 Luke. My friends car is obviously a major "Citron" but even then there was something a bit light on and tacky about the trim and finish of the others I have driven (4 of them).

Admittedly I have never looked closely at or driven the Marseilles version.

Justin at Alpine Motors owns a nice enough 21 auto and says it is a great car, but as for me I wouldn't touch one with that bargepole I mentioned previously.

Locating gearbox parts for the dud car was a major hassle. Crown wheel eventually sourced in NZ at huge cost and the repair process ended up costing near as dammit to half the purchase price of the car.(the car had 145,000km on it when purchased and the crown wheel died shortly after - the clutch which was also replaced at additional considerable expense fell apart again 18 months and not may kms later - the cost of the second clutch kit alone was $400 plus, plus the cost of fitting)

It probably would have been better to look at fitting a secondhand box from a Fuego or trying to use a Fuego crown wheel, but at that stage my friend was still in love with the car and into keeping things original.

Then there was the issue of the dud sensors...took three mechanics (two who own 21's) to sort that out. The first one buggered the timing by thoughtfully leaving off a major washer after mucking about with the settings of the belt. The second made some improvements through hit and miss.

The third, the aforementioned Justin, worked through it and solved the problem.

This process was not cheap either...and obviously disheartening when you end up paying for work that either doesn't fix the problem or actually makes the situation worse.

Anyway the beast is now forlornly sitting in my friends back yard in Queanbeyan after all that - he ended up buying an ex gov Falcon to avoid the domestic strife incumbent with owning a lemon.

It's a pity because he loves Renaults and was happy to shell out $6k on the 21 but I can't see him ever spending (or being allowed to spend) serious dollars on another one.

cheers!

Poor bugger, I do feel for him.
In the ned it would have been cheaper to fit a Fuego 5-speed manual gearbox.

Was his a 3-speed auto or 4-speed?

But I do feel even more sorry that he now drives a Ford Falcon!!!!

Thanks for the info

Regards

Luke

LukeCass:

Was his a 3-speed auto or 4-speed?

But I do feel even more sorry that he now drives a Ford Falcon!!!!
Nope, it would be a plain 'ol UN1 5 speed in an AUS spec 21. It does seem to be a reasonably common failing, being the peeling of teeth from the crown wheel.

Simon