Who else can't get a simple motor to run properly ?

Bit late now for Shane's UAV, but a scope and knowing how to use it would have been super helpful?

Bit late now for Shane's UAV, but a scope and knowing how to use it would have been super helpful?

That would have just proved everything was fine ..... :) which it was from an injection electrical signal perspective (especially given I was running on gas!). A scope on the igntion pickup would have shown rubbish was being generated though!

well that was a WAY bigger job than it should have been (the head bolts were torqued to about 1500Nm ).

20210107_215018.jpg

20210107_214954.jpg

its only short about 1 or 2mm ..... Amazing that this lowers the compression enough so that the cylinder won't fire!

So there you go. I can destroy a motor when its not even running 😠

Ouch - bit of a mess. I'll count myself lucky when (few years back) the pressure regulator abruptly failed on the 505. In my case it just seized - no leak of fuel.
Regards,
Rob

Ouch - bit of a mess. I'll count myself lucky when (few years back) the pressure regulator abruptly failed on the 505. In my case it just seized - no leak of fuel.
Regards,
Rob
the motor bits I can see ... sure have looked ok to my very untrained eyes .... The cam certainly looks sad, but the rest other than being filthy and sooty looks fine (apparently this motor has been rebuilt by Les Richmond in the past... without paperwork to prove it .... Who knows). Given its not completely worn out, I'm guessing that's probably right! A shame to destroy a nice running motor for no reason :(

well the shitbox is back on the road ..... I've even treated it its annual wash.

Just in the nick of time ... the shitbox has work to do .... kids are back to school tomorrow (so its back to the fire trails through the bush) and the caravan needs to be moved down to the beach.

Someone on the land rover forum gave me another motor they had in there shed. I'm not sure whats been done to the motor (if anything) but its goes waaaayyyy harder than any range rover I've ever driven before. the motor is dead silent (you can only hear the belts spinning) and is so smooth you could probably balance a coin ontop of it when it's running.
20210131_102416.jpg

20210131_102317.jpg

20210131_102150.jpg

seeya
Shane L.

Goodness! What's the catch? Did you promise them your firstborn?

Goodness! What's the catch? Did you promise them your firstborn?

I think he needed the idle stepper motor, starter and alternator.... and the motor came with them as a part of the deal. it must have been sitting in his shed in the way.

I could either pull the conrod I needed from this motor ..... or use the motor. I compression tested it .... and it seemed fine. All the hose connections that were rusty on my other motors were good. things like all the spark plug lead guides were not broken (they age and break). So I decided to take the risk and just bolt the motor in and use it ( after changing all the seals and gaskets in its top end).

I'm thinking it might have a torque/towing cam fitted ... or possibly a stroker crank. As it seems to go quite a bit better than any other one I've driven (though I haven't driven a huge number of range rovers/land rovers)

Hi Shane :)
Sounds a bit unusual. My shoot from the hip suggestion is to look for a blocked exhaust 🥴
Jaahn
I have had two engines that didn't run well. After checking everything including substituting twin webers and dizzy on one and carb and dizzy on the other. Hours and hours later even stripped one motor looking for all sorts of possibilities even putting a degree wheel to check camshaft. In the first case swapped engines and still intermtitent poor running. Eventually both engines had partially blocked exhausts. By the time the second engine seemed to have no obvious faults I proved it was the exhaust quite quickly. Once experienced you won't get caught again. The problem for me with the first engine was it was so intermittent in nature. You could do 110 on the freeway no problem then all of a sudden it would appear to miss on one cylinder but you could never prove which.

So how did you prove the exhaust was at fault?
Hi :)
Well if you need to prove it you can put a pressure gauge on the exhaust anywhere you can get in near the motor. Possibly take out the O2 sensor but that is not always easy. I plugged into a sensor port some time back. Be careful of your gauge as it might go off the end of the scale when you rev it ;) like mine did ! Blocked cat !
Sounds like Sunroof had a loose baffle that fell into the flow path and out again or the matrix of the cat falling to pieces. That was partly my problem. The thing to look for is the strange nature of the "missing" or the poor performance but not specific to one cylinder.
Jaahn

Last edited:
W
Hi :)
Well if you need to prove it you can put a pressure gauge on the exhaust anywhere you can get in near the motor. Possibly take out the O2 sensor but that is not always easy. I plugged into a sensor port some time back. Be careful of your gauge as it might go off the end of the scale when you rev it ;) like mine did ! Blocked cat !
Jaahn
Wow .... modern new fangled stuff with exotic sensors ...... I don't want to play with any of that :eek: I've never owned a car with exotic stuff like converters or o2 sensors ......... er ..... Hang on, shouldn't the shitbox have a converter? Neither of the ones here do. Just a big main muffler and resonator (maybe the big muffler is a converter ?)..... Hmmmm.... How does a car build after '86 not have a catalytic converter ?

Perhaps it's not a car. I have a (petrol engined) Hilux ute, made in 2001. Had no cat or O2 sensor from new - wasn't required for utes until later. Apparently not mandated on trucks until 2010!!