Which Ryco Oil filter for 1972 P504 2L petrol?

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

Now that I have run out of my supply of Purflux oil filters, I am going to use Ryco. But the internet is telling me there are two that suit the 2L petrol - Z69 or the Z543

Can anyone advise which is correct and/or what is the difference?

Thank you

I do have Valeo Oil Filters here, but they are a lot smaller then the Purflux. That's why I was looking at Ryco. I change oil and filter every 5,000kms.

Not sure if size matters in this case?

Attachments

• Valeo Oil Filter.jpg
    Valeo Oil Filter.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 137
Pug72.
Ryco Z 69. Manufactured in Sth Africa Super Cheep etc asking around $ 30. !!!!

See comments elsewhere on Aussie Frogs.

Pug72.
Ryco Z 69. Manufactured in Sth Africa Super Cheep etc asking around $ 30. !!!!

See comments elsewhere on Aussie Frogs.

Valeo are much cheaper than that and there French. I don't know about modern Ryco because I refuse to use them but I wouldn't put one on a billy cart.

When we've had the Ryco rep come into French Connection to buy second hand filters, filters housings and oil pickups to take back to there lab and admits there having trouble with theirs that kinda sets off alarm bells.

Maybe most of the 504s in the world are newer than ours and use the later 505 style filter. It would seem there are enough 504s to make it worthwhile for Purflux to continue making them.

When we've had the Ryco rep come into French Connection to buy second hand filters, filters housings and oil pickups to take back to there lab and admits there having trouble with theirs that kinda sets off alarm bells.

"Psst, we're having trouble with our filters, but whatever you do don't post it on the internet, ok?"

I can't understand how they can have issues (of course I understand it's probably with subcontracted Asian manufacture) as these are really simple devices. Sack the factory, there must be ten more in China that can take their place.

G'day,

nope, not necessarily Asian. I believe that it was their crap filters that killed my old TR2000 decades ago. In later years in a weak moment I got their filter for an elderly HiAce, could be wrong but I recall that it came from NZ, with the wrong sealing ring, I rang them and they posted an envelope full of the correct rings !

Crap Chinese/Asian products I've been told are the result of crap specs, it was indicated that their factories provide exactly what you order, no more, no less.

cheers,
Bob

Were the extra rings for just in case this happens again ,on a hiace ,how many hi ace are out there ?

"Psst, we're having trouble with our filters, but whatever you do don't post it on the internet, ok?"

I can't understand how they can have issues (of course I understand it's probably with subcontracted Asian manufacture) as these are really simple devices. Sack the factory, there must be ten more in China that can take their place.

If you don't want the world to know then don't tell anyone. I didn't know who he was, he just came in and asked for housings for a few different engines. As we were talking he pulls out his Ryco card and tells me the story.

I don't know where there actually made but the engineers are here in Melbourne. Near Sunshine from memory.

G'day,

Were the extra rings for just in case this happens again ......

yep, cos that was the way the filters came. They were probably pinched from some other vehicle specs, similar canister, same thread, she'll be right. At least the can was vertical, upside down, so their dodgy non return valves didn't matter and it was always full so an oversized canister didn't matter either.

cheers,
Bob

Ryco was a respected Australian company with roots back to the 1930's. They owned Ryans the excellent tool store in Elizabeth Street (where you could buy genuine 504 trapezoid lights for the injection at a reasonable price). The made GUD fuel diaphragms and pumps and other things. They took the lazy and greedy road of many Australian manufacturers years ago and moved manufacture to China. Manufacture at a Chinese price but sell for the same price as Australian manufacture. They always say quality is the same but is it? Try wearing a pair of Chinese made Blundstone boots and say that. Unless an Australian supervisor is present at all stages of manufacture cheap materials are often substituted. As anyone who buys Chinese goods on the internet knows, their quality can be anything from quite good to woeful. I was shown a large Chinese industrial machine in a factory. The heavy cast mast had distinct scrap parts still quite visible from an incomplete scrap melting and casting process. It came with its own Chinese maintenance worker who oxy welded without goggles or glasses. There was an importer in Geelong who was bringing in Chinese heavy equipment. Excavators with 1.5 mm steel buckets and bendable masts and trucks that had trouble making delivery mileage. So what can go wrong with an oil filter? Firstly the crinkle cut pattern on the Purflux stops the pleats flattening out and all the work being done by a few parts of the filter. The bypass valve in the canister has to be right for the car. A long time ago there were disasters with a Chinese made canister filter where the inside tube was made of cardboard not metal. They would collapse and give total oil starvation. Offer the Ryco guy $2 because that's what their price should be but even at that not worth the risk.

Ryco was a respected Australian company with roots back to the 1930's. They owned Ryans the excellent tool store in Elizabeth Street (where you could buy genuine 504 trapezoid lights for the injection at a reasonable price). The made GUD fuel diaphragms and pumps and other things. They took the lazy and greedy road of many Australian manufacturers years ago and moved manufacture to China. Manufacture at a Chinese price but sell for the same price as Australian manufacture. They always say quality is the same but is it? Try wearing a pair of Chinese made Blundstone boots and say that. Unless an Australian supervisor is present at all stages of manufacture cheap materials are often substituted. As anyone who buys Chinese goods on the internet knows, their quality can be anything from quite good to woeful. I was shown a large Chinese industrial machine in a factory. The heavy cast mast had distinct scrap parts still quite visible from an incomplete scrap melting and casting process. It came with its own Chinese maintenance worker who oxy welded without goggles or glasses. There was an importer in Geelong who was bringing in Chinese heavy equipment. Excavators with 1.5 mm steel buckets and bendable masts and trucks that had trouble making delivery mileage. So what can go wrong with an oil filter? Firstly the crinkle cut pattern on the Purflux stops the pleats flattening out and all the work being done by a few parts of the filter. The bypass valve in the canister has to be right for the car. A long time ago there were disasters with a Chinese made canister filter where the inside tube was made of cardboard not metal. They would collapse and give total oil starvation. Offer the Ryco guy $2 because that's what their price should be but even at that not worth the risk.

100% I would be saying 50c
Just like about 10years ago we had a run of tu5jp4s getting towed in with oil lights on, oil filters breaking the centre stay and causing the light to come on some of those where ryco and other like brands ( same filter different box.)
It got to the stage that we would see a 206 307 xsara etc on a truck pop our head in and if it had another shops sticker and a oil light complaint we would give the customer the option to take it back to the servicing mechanic to save the argument of whose to blame because they sure didn’t want to pay.
And then obviously get the call from the shop it went to stressing if the engine was u/s.
That was good times for getting some lost customers back.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Wasn't having a go, just a laugh.

I used a Ryco on my wife's Mondeo last change (one of those black premium ones with the long life media) which I inspected first and it looked quite well made with a silicone NR valve etc. but you guys have put me off a repeat performance!

If you don't want the world to know then don't tell anyone. I didn't know who he was, he just came in and asked for housings for a few different engines. As we were talking he pulls out his Ryco card and tells me the story.

I don't know where there actually made but the engineers are here in Melbourne. Near Sunshine from memory.

That TU5 issue was I think mostly a MANN filter that someone had a pallet(s) of and they were somehow listed/sold as suitable for an application that it evidently wasn't. It's such a critical part that it's worth paying the extra for the correct item. Of course some filters are the same with different branding and pricing because more than one brand is owned by the same parent - e.g. Sogefi.

No it was any copy that had the centre cross made to thin we still come across them now

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I do have Valeo Oil Filters here, but they are a lot smaller then the Purflux. That's why I was looking at Ryco. I change oil and filter every 5,000kms.

Not sure if size matters in this case?

Why?
Super short stop start driving stints?
Most quality filters produced nowadays would easily exceed 10k service life.
At that rate I would consider 2 lubricant changes to 1 media change.

The car does a lot of short runs in stop/start traffic - school runs, shops etc most days. It may not be necessary changing oil and filter every 5000kms, but it's just what I do. It's an easy job. I also clean out the gauze filters that sit inside the oil transfer pipe at the same time (part of the crank case breathing)