Which oil and spark plugs for 207 gti

Ols04

Fellow Frogger
Really getting a lot of mixed opinions on what oil to use in my 207 gti thp 1.6 and which spark plugs to use as I've also been told a couple of options.

It currently has 100,000km on it. And service history by Peugeot.

Thanks in advance.

Use platinum plugs and will outlast car.

Check to see that you are not changing out platinum plugs

Great thanks for the advice.
Will use these then PLZKBR7A-G off etuners website recommendation then they are the platinum NGK ones

Hang on. I've been using these for years.

Change them every 30,000 klicks on a THP engine.

[FONT=&quot]NGK Iridium Spark Plug ILZKBR7B8DG

Cheers.[/FONT]

EAI in Melbourne can sort the plugs for you. Oil recommendation has changed since the early days of that engine. Currently it's tha same as the small diesels - low ash C2. This is to reduce the availability of ash that eventually fouls the inlets.,

Original spec PLZKBR7A-G plugs have been superseded by PLZKBR7B8DG ones. There's probably no benefit to using Iridium ones (unless the cost is the same) on the 207 GTi.

For reference, original Peugeot p/n was 5960 92 and is now 5960 G4

You'll also need a 12 point, narrow-walled 14mm deep socket to remove/install the plugs.

The original oil specified was Total INEO Quartz ECS 5W30 when the 207 GTi was on the scene.

A few years later, the oil spec for these types of engines was changed to Total INEO First 0W30. Yes, even here in "hot" Australia.

Last edited:
the oil spec for these types of engines was changed to Total INEO First 0W30
This is the C2 grade I mentioned. There are are couple of other retail brands that qualify if you can't find Total, though there are distributors in Victoria who'll sell you a carton of three.

What is another oil recommended? The closest place that has it is an hour drive. Although if you think it's worth it I'd drive for sure

Penrite have a C2 0w-30 synthetic that is found everywhere. It produces a small amount more ash than the Total, but much less than "conventional" oils. Castrol Magnatec Professional unfortunately only comes in bulk or large drums.

Probably worth the trip for 3 5L packs. I'm using Penrite in my DS3 at present, mainly because my last lot of Total went into my diesel C5. Total is not readily available in Sydney except from dealers.

Taken from eTuners re Prince 1.6 THP engine.

Ignition

• Ignition coils
    The stock coils will generally not fail. They are very reliable. But make sure you never expose them to humidity or water and they will be good for life. If you wash your engine, remove the coils and let everything dry up completely before re-installing them.
  • Spark plugs
    Spark plugs should be kept no more than 30.000km on a completely stock engine. If you have a remap, it is advisable to renew them every 20.000km because you will notice a big drop in performance as you go over the 20.000km limit.
    A good way to check their condition is by measuring spark gap. Stock spark gap is 0.8mm. The moment it goes over 0.9mm, ignition problems start to occur. For engines with a remap, we recommend setting the spark gap to 0.6mm. This will increase spark plug wear but will improve spark power by a lot.
    Always stick to the manufacturers recommended spark plugs. As a rule of thumb, they are all made by NGK and are either made of Platinum (PLZ code prefix) or Iridium (ILZ code prefix). Anything else will just not do as only the heat range of Platinum and Iridium is suitable for turbo engines.
    Useful codes:
    Iridium – ILZKBR7A-8G (Peugeot RCZ THP200, Citroen DS4 Racing THP200, Mini Cooper S Works Edition)
    Platinum – PLZKBR7A-G (stock 150/156/165hp and 175hp)
  • I use Iridium in both the RCZ THP200 and the 207cc Sport THP150.

Could be not to worry about any, as the secret is to change the buggers more often. I change mine every 20,000 on the RCZ THP200 and every 25,000 on the French Tart.

Last edited:
Cars going in for timing chain next week, can't wait!

Was going to just get that mechanic to run an oil change and Spark plugs but I'm.not sure what oil he uses exactly and seems pretty expensive too compared to just doing it myself. Is it a hard job?

I had to replace a misfiring coil at around about 50k. They are from Delphi. I use the platinum plugs.

Oil and filter change is a doddle. With the filter you must use a suitable socket, preferably 6 point hex, as the cap is plastic. You will probably have to buy one at that size. Do not use a strap wrench or you may be sorry. The tightness when undoing and refitting is the O ring seal inside, which must be rewetted with oil when you put it back or it will leak. Unclip and remove part of the air inlet for access.

There's a small undertray to remove to get at the sump plug, so it's easiest on ramps.

The easiest way to get the right filter in Melbourne is from EAI or Bailey. Get the Purflux brand - they are very good and inexpensive.

Refill and check level. About 4 1/'4 L. It will drop as the filter takes up its share when you start the engine.

Actually got a decent quote back for the job. Thinking of getting the mechanic to run the service, especially if it's tricky lkke you said.

They use liquid moly 5w30, is this ok?

It isn't at all tricky, just needs common sense and a couple of cheap tools.

The Liqui Moly website claims C2 Peugeot Citroen B71 2290 but I have never seen it in the flesh. It is a little thicker (5W) than currently recommended.

If a mechanic does the job you'll be paying his retail price for it.