Which medium-sized 4WD would you buy ?

Sadly, Range Rovers of all ages have a terrible reputation for unreliability and expensive repair bills. It doesn't sound like Beano would consider one, but I reckon that would be done at considerable risk.

Beano: I thoroughly encourage the idea of a Fraser Island trip. It was one of the best holidays I've been on. Suggest sometime in Autumn to avoid crowds. Driving up the beaches is not a problem in itself, despite what some people say. The horror stories are pretty much all about folk who tried to drive through any seawater at all, or got broke down or bogged near the incoming tide.

Regards,
John

I drove a Range Rover recently....a bit of a beast, but a great ...high...driving position. And being a V8, quite the gas guzzler.
One of our forum members looked into them and told me that many of their problems are electrical rather than mechanical.

I went to Fraser Island in August 1981 and again in August 1986. It is indeed a bit of paradise. I can't believe I haven't been back since then, though I did live overseas for a few years on and off.

I drove a VW dune buggy up and down Moreton Island in 1986. We didn't ever get bogged and it skimmed across the surface of the loose sand if you didn't slow right down and were careful about where you drove. And thanks for providing the grain of salt to go with the horror stories.

This thread has been a journey of self-discovery regarding what I actually need.
Mostly I'll be using it on-road, but since I haven't been to Fraser Island or Moreton for 30 years, I should do so before I get too old.

I may well do just that. Mostly I will be using it on-road.

Er....what would be similar to a Subaru Liberty ?

You can't go wrong with those. Just find one nicely used and if you accept the slight fuel efficiency penalty, get it. I am looking for one as well (though I am willing to go a bit higher in price).

And like I said, the Alfa 33 "4WD" is an option (if you find one). They only came as a wagon (which is a bit smaller than a R12 though). I have been offered one for 3K some seventeen years ago and still regret not buying it, with all the downsides. Haven't seen one since.

Subarus have been known to blow engines due to small/blocked oil galleries.

Dave

^ Surely that would only be the older ones, though ?

There are 2007 Subaru Foresters and Honda CRVs out there for $4,000, with 150Ks on them.

If I go to a damaged vehicle auction I will get one for much less and take it through the Written Off Vehicle inspection.

I actually welcome the idea of getting one with a stuffed engine as I can rebuild it and know that everything is good.

There are 2007 Subaru Foresters and Honda CRVs out there for $4,000, with 150Ks on them.

If I go to a damaged vehicle auction I will get one for much less and take it through the Written Off Vehicle inspection.

I actually welcome the idea of getting one with a stuffed engine as I can rebuild it and know that everything is good.

That is not such a bad idea, but the engine rebuilding will cost more than your budget in parts alone no matter what car you get. Add labour and you were better off buying a decent s/h car with low-ish km.

If you'd consider a Liberty (non-Outback) then an Impreza maybe should be on the list too. I think they'd have the same ground clearance wouldn't they (ie. no more than other cars)? There would be quite a few 90's Impreza Wagons around.

That said, the Forester would be better due to ground clearance, but more expensive due to popularity.

I wonder if anyone does a lift kit for the Impreza like you used to see for those older Subie wagons (geez, I've forgotten what they were called).

EDIT: Check this... http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f94/subtle-sf-sg-sh-1-lift-kit-product-review-68850/

Last edited:
Isn't a vehicle on the written-off register unable to be nationally re-registered? I believe the vin plate is also removed for that reason.

If you could economically fix the problem with this one going into limp mode, it seems to represent excellent value (and would be within budget) 2007 Suzuki SX4 S Auto Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia

The article below suggests some of the differences in SUV’s, and their limitations general limitations.

Having driven around Fraser Is. in a Jackaroo, I found a crucial thing was ground clearance. The tyre tracks can become quite deep and prove difficult to straddle at times (especially inland). That would make it difficult for many of the smaller softroaders. That said, when we were there (a long while ago), there was a VW Beetle on the main beach though!

suv.jpg

Last edited:
Loving this thread! Paul and I have a first gen Pajero wagon, bought it for $600 with a busted gearbox (and over 500k, recon motor), which we swapped out for the gearbox in our SWB Paj (bought for $500) that had a dead motor. (I loved our short-lived shorty - had aircon, central locking, tint, velour and those cool gauges, I wave forlornly to it whenever we drive past its resting place. But a wagon was more practical for our needs.)

Our Paj does way more travel on bitumen, despite our best intentions of using it off road,
but it has been competent when travelling around the local sandy/swampy state forests and in the Grampians. The SWB was good at the beach, too, and the length made it seem very nimble. The 2.6 petrol is a thirsty thing, hence the previous owner installing LPG...it's still thirsty, but less so, but definitely gutless going up hills or overtaking. We just did a 600km round trip on the weekend and it's not the most comfortable (oh how I long for the income to afford to run and repair a classic Range Rover), but we love it. Would I make this my daily? Not a chance, and especially not in the suburbs.

If Paul was reading this, he would suggest a Holden Adventra station wagon, and with LPG you can indulge a love for that V8 roar AND have incredible fuel economy. He drives a V8 Crewman with injected gas, it's by far the cheapest runner we have that's a very capable tow car, very comfortable for long trips, and surprisingly ok off road.

I've driven a Subaru Outback, Liberty, and Touring Wagon; the oldest would have been the most capable off road IMO, the other two were nice tourers for everyday.

What about considering a hardcore 4WD that you can register under a club permit scheme for a small registration and insurance cost (as we have with our Pajero), and keep a 'regular' car for your regular driving?

Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Google 'Subaru blown engine'

The dates continue to the present...

Dave

Having driven around Fraser Is. in a Jackaroo, I found a crucial thing was ground clearance. The tyre tracks can become quite deep and prove difficult to straddle at times (especially inland).

that is very true.

Adventra isn't a bad thing, but the early Alloytec V6 is a bit of a lemon, with timing chain replacement a matter of when, rather than if, so best to stick with the V8.

Pity they never fitted the old Ecotec to the Adventra. They would be a great thing.

You could even consider a Ford Territory. They are getting cheap and, whilst thirsty, there are heaps around on dual fuel and they sold millions of the things so they are easy to get bits for.

They are comfy (and surprisingly nimble) to drive and they tow well.

They are no Land Cruiser off road, but they seem to be better than most Soft Roaders as they have decent approach angles and the great low down torque reduces the deficiency caused by lack of a low range....

Last edited:
That's the one I meant! And also, the Leone wagon, or is that the same thing? Anyway, a mate had two of these and they did hundreds of thousands of km.

Leone was the model; the wagon I drove was the 2nd gen (early-mid '80s) and it was cool but, again, not what I'd want for a daily. I used to think having AWD was a must for living in the country, but I now drive a 3rd gen Magna VRX, with traction control, more room and loads more go, that uses about the same fuel as the 4 cyl '98 Outback and '91 Liberty did. And it feels more stable on gravel than they did. Touch wood, it'll have a better life span, too.

I actually liked the Adventra as an idea, but when I saw one in person, I thought it was just another big and heavy car. Which it is. Ground clearance is okay for what it is, but it is no off roader (I think the L Suby would be more practical - lighter and higher).

Another option nobody mentioned (yet) is an early Volvo cross country (or whatever they are called? XC?). Where is Patrick? He couldn't shut up about them? There was lots of them at some point on the car websites for sale, about 5-8k when I looked about 3 years ago.

Ground clearance is never enough, don't worry about it. You'll always find some place where you need more, no matter what you drive. Buy what you can, learn to use what you've got. I have driven off road perhaps more than anyone here simply because of my job, mostly in Landcruisers. The worst problem is flats (because you can not avoid having them, no matter what). We use the worst tires you can buy - some Chinese brand with 14 plies, they feel like crap plastic, not rubber (tubed, of course) and we pump them up like concrete (about 3 bars) to prevent the nasty Australian hard woods popping them, and we still get flats. No fun. A friend of mine (geologist, of course) still holds the record with 14 flats in one day, so there. And I can't even remember how many nincompoops with tubeless radials we have saved in the bush. The only advice I can give you is to be lucky.

I'm driving an $800 Range Rover around at the moment towing a block of flats....

Speaking of that block of flats, Shane, I'm pretty sure I recognise them! Suddenly I remembered when Paul and I came to look at a caravan you were selling (a Chesney, I think) and got caught up looking at your multitudinous Citroens. I dawdled about with my camera. That was a couple of years ago. Anyway, at that time I had no thought I would end up a D owner! I didn't realise who you were until I saw the picture on here.

Leone was the model; the wagon I drove was the 2nd gen (early-mid '80s) and it was cool but, again, not what I'd want for a daily. I used to think having AWD was a must for living in the country, but I now drive a 3rd gen Magna VRX, with traction control, more room and loads more go, that uses about the same fuel as the 4 cyl '98 Outback and '91 Liberty did. And it feels more stable on gravel than they did. Touch wood, it'll have a better life span, too.

What was the life span of the Leone and what killed it?

Google 'Subaru blown engine'

The dates continue to the present...

Dave

Crikey....I think I've been put off them for life. No wonder Demannu once told me he didn't like them. Never understood why till just now.

"Owner Says Nightmare Subaru Has Killed Four Engines Within 3,000 Miles"

"Blown motor again... after fresh Subaru rebuild 5000 miles ago"

And thanks to Mistareno for the suggestion of a Ford Territory. I didn't realize there were heaps of them on dual fuel. This still appeals to me (I will do a fair few miles in the city), as do lots of secondhand parts at the wreckers. And a nice large body is good in prangs.

I used to cringe at the word Ford, but drove them as taxis about 10 years ago, and grew to like em. Though the seats were terrible.