Which medium-sized 4WD would you buy ?

The use of the word Bull?

If you read that you would see the word SOME was used. My modern Peugeots use no oil between changes, twice in near 100,000 km I have put 500 mil in the 240,000 km Nissan Patrol. Yes I was in the Colarado that used lots of oil.

You missed the bit about lesser brands, then? Bull, short for bullshit manufacturing processes.....

You missed the bit about lesser brands, then? Bull, short for bullshit manufacturing processes.....

No did not miss that lesser brands. Agree with the issue that some can make engines not use excessive oil.

The use of the word Bull?

If you read that you would see the word SOME was used. My modern Peugeots use no oil between changes, twice in near 100,000 km I have put 500 mil in the 240,000 km Nissan Patrol. Yes I was in the Colarado that used lots of oil.

My CX is a petrol turbo that was a demonstrator when new ( so will have been beaten to death by everyone that steps into it). It is ... gee's 32 years old (bloody hel, in my mind I still think it's a modern vehicle). It still uses no oil between oil changes. You want a motor that's consider a lemon ? The range rover has done who knows how many miles. It might use 50ml per 1000kms towing a block of flats. I don't know if it leaks it or burns it though ( it is a land rover after all).

Why would any modern engine burn oil ( :confused: ) Haviing said that, the suburu is a flat 4. Isn't this engine layout known for burning oil. The GS and 2cv sure do.

seeya,
Shane L.

I don't think a particular engine layout (flat, opposed, Vee, or straight) that has been well engineered should be predisposed to being an oil user.

Dave

My CX is a petrol turbo that was a demonstrator when new ( so will have been beaten to death by everyone that steps into it). It is ... gee's 32 years old (bloody hel, in my mind I still think it's a modern vehicle). It still uses no oil between oil changes. You want a motor that's consider a lemon ? The range rover has done who knows how many miles. It might use 50ml per 1000kms towing a block of flats. I don't know if it leaks it or burns it though ( it is a land rover after all).

Why would any modern engine burn oil ( :confused: ) Haviing said that, the suburu is a flat 4. Isn't this engine layout known for burning oil. The GS and 2cv sure do.

seeya,
Shane L.

Think the 2CV, GS steady consumption is more to do with the fact they're aircooled. Temperature not so regulated as a watercooled lump, therefore proportion of the oil 'evaporates' as contribution to the cooling. My old VW beetle, 180,000K's+ used a steady but not alarming amount, can't recall that aspect was much improved by my rebuilding the motor. Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, you want to try my VAG Audi... A 1.8ltr turbo direct injection.... It can burn up to 1 litre of oil within 1500 Kays... No leaks but it must be going somewhere. Apparently that's within tolerance. It's actually starting to get expensive. $65 worth of oil every 8000 klms.

My take and experience with engine oil and oil burning engines.

When I first started driving Renault 12's I used Ampol oil, the engine would burn about a pint in between service intervals (5000Km). My wife of the time won a 5 litre container of Valvoline oil, so when the next oil change was due I gave the Valvoline a try and observed that the engine oil level remained pretty constant between service intervals, so I swapped to using Valvoline oils in my R12's and have been doing so ever since.

I have found from experience that Mitsubishi engines (all the ones I have had anything to do with) seem to consume oil. Not sure what their engines are like that have been produced in the past 10 years.

I have found that cheap oils such as found for sale on supermarket shelves (the recycled stuff etc) just seems to get burnt like its going out of fashion.

I rebuilt a Renault 847 engine that I had the misfortune to install a dodgy rear main oil seal that made lots of noise. During the many minutes of idling a new engine trying to diagnose where this horrible noise was coming from, I noticed that blue smoke was coming from the exhaust. So after I got the engine back together for the last time took the car out on the road and went through the ring bedding in procedure that fixed the blue smoke problem. So I'm wondering are some of these new engines getting the rings bedded in properly or is there a problem with new owner driving their new pride and joy to sedately in the first 1000 Km.

My 1995 Renault Laguna V6 has 275,000 Km on it and does not burn oil between services. So my take is that there is definitely something not right with a modern engine that consumes excessive engine oil, how can that engine meet environmental targets?

Those hi-tech Mercedes F1 and possibly Ferrari F1 engines seem to have been consuming a little oil here and there too........at least it helped produce more horsepower.............

Ha, you want to try my VAG Audi... A 1.8ltr turbo direct injection.... It can burn up to 1 litre of oil within 1500 Kays... No leaks but it must be going somewhere. Apparently that's within tolerance. It's actually starting to get expensive. $65 worth of oil every 8000 klms.

We have a vehicle with the VW 1.4L Turbo + Supercharger (CTHE) engine and it uses about 250ml of oil between services.

However it is driven sensibly and not thrashed.

Boxer type motors can also retain some oil in their bores depending on what angle they're parked at. So a cold start may be unusually smokey. An uninformed observer could think this is typical and spread the rumour. BMX bower motorcycles is another that comes to mind.

We have a vehicle with the VW 1.4L Turbo + Supercharger (CTHE) engine and it uses about 250ml of oil between services. Have you ever noticed how hard rental cars go :confused:

However it is driven sensibly and not thrashed.

If it had thrashed it probably wouldn't use any oil.... I bet the rental cars rarely (if ever) use oil. I'm a firm believer in thrashing it to death to get a good piston/ring seal.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

If it had thrashed it probably wouldn't use any oil.... I bet the rental cars rarely (if ever) use oil. I'm a firm believer in thrashing it to death to get a good piston/ring seal.

This is exactly what I think. The previous owner pootled around barely getting above 2000 rpm. Which is easy in a dsg. Never let's the car Rev out unless provoked.

Whenever I get the chance I do flick it it to manual sport mode. Improves the engine response after a good thrash but there's not much I can do about the Piston ring/ bore interface!

It was driven in spirited manner, initially I'll say. But that is different to "thrashing" , which is bogan activity in my view.

I've never let the engine labor nor worried about keeping revs down, and let it accelerate hard when overtaking. If you have any finesse with mechanics, you know when to let an rev and when to hold the revs back.

The 1L of oil I purchased from new is still unopened in spare wheel well.

The earlier version of the 1.4 TSI (CAVE model) had oil usage problems due to ring sealing and piston heating issues.

There CTHE is extensively modified and based on my experience has no issues.

Not surprisingly, none of my prior petrol engines needed top ups between services.
The new koleos which has most likely been babied before my ownership is a bit thirsty on the oil.
Have not had it long enough to know how thirsty yet.
Lets see if that changes now that I'm the pilot.:evil:

Jo

There are always very different reviews about credit services and this service is no exception. Some grateful borrowers are quite satisfied with the work of the site, receiving money on their card in just 15-30 minutes, simple repayment and the possibility of prolongation. Among the negative reviews, the opinions of those who were refused credit and those who had the recklessness to allow delays prevail. Tell me, how to apply for a short-term loan?