Where to buy tachymetric relay for 505 GTI?

Hugo

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the tachymetric relay in my 1993 505 GTI series 2.

I've removed the old one (fuel pump not turning on), replaced the electrolytic capacitors (since they are so cheap and it might just have fixed it), but it still does not work (tests failed in and out of car).

Any idea where I might buy a new one?

EAI don't have them and I've done a lot of googling - the best option so far is a Lucas FDB506 from the UK for $65. I would prefer to buy one in Oz if possible. Fortunately for availability, they are used on so many makes and models of cars.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers,
Hugo :)

Check the soldering on the printed circuit board to the external connections, this is usually the cause of the problem. They are the same as a 205 GTi. Maybe an LPG cut off relay could be adapted? These are triggered by the coil pulses and switch off the gas supply when not triggered, sounds like the same thing to me.

Hi Graham,

I also re-soldered all joints, but still no joy. Yes, I noticed it is the same relay as the 205 GTi, still it is a hard to find the part. I'll first go the path of replacement before looking at creative solutions like substituting an LPG cut off relay.

Not sure what is precisely wrong, but the best option now seems like a new relay.

Hopefully someone here has found somewhere in Australia to buy them. :)

Hugh

Is that the one that mounts next to the steering column? (Bosch)

If it is, then when mine went on my "88 505 Gti Series II, I was able to source one straight from the Bosch agent here in Perth.

If it's Bosch - google the part number and check you local Bosch supplier.

Cheers
Roland

Hi Roland,

I contacted Bosch and they say the relay was discontinued in Germany in 2008. :(

The fun of owning a 505 is chasing up the parts though. :)

I'll order one on Ebay from the UK. A bit of a wait, but not too bad.

For future reference, it is a Lucas equivalent, referred to on Ebay as "Lucas fuel relay FDB506 Citroen & Renault" from Ebay seller 'motorbling'.

Cheers,
Hugo

relay

tried a Holden VS 6 cyl in my '85 S2 ,it started, I got one from a wrecker for 10 bucks. Now carry it as a spare.
I have the pin out numbers in my files-ATM I've been pretty crook,so I'll search in a day or so and try to find them.
Different unit than S1 505 of course.

@Rally Yes the Bosch 0280 230 006 is the correct part. I was impatient and have ordered one on Ebay from the UK, but thanks.

@broomy That's a great reference, thanks.

Cheers,
Hugh

There are lots of traps for the unwary on the net!
On the lighter side I'll try to upload a pic of a NOS Tessa Rossa relay selling under a description as a genuine Ferrari OEM part-AIR it was something like 275 euro! Having worked on a few Ferraris,prices like that don't frighten owners. Ferrari tessa rossa efi relay 2.JPG

Many people pay over the odds as the don't necessarily know that parts could possibly be common to multiple makes and models. This is why you can happily buy the D-Jet pressure regulator as a Bosch part intended for the early D-Jet MB 450SE and fit it to a DS 21/23 ie for rather less than what it is typically sold for for the DS application.

You know that if you get stuck somewhere due to this relay failing, you can pop the cover off and close the contacts manually. Or, bypass the relay (temporarily) with a wire shunt once you know the pins. It may get you home in any case. Most of those older models will have the fallback of an inertia switch to shut off the fuel in case of a big enough prang.

I have a used one , its Bosch 0280 230 006 , I think its the one you need
Hello Rally? I know it's a it late, only 2 years, ha. I wonder if you still have a secondhand Tachymetric relay please? Mine keeps the fuel pump running after turning off the ignition. I've tried freeing up the points inside. If I bang it it frees up and stops the fuel pump. I'll buy it if you want to send it to me. Cheques in the mail or whatever. Phil Torode 14 Nott St Balwyn VIC 3103. By the way- It' for a 505 engine in a 403. 0432 107 301

Hello Rally? I know it's a it late, only 2 years, ha. I wonder if you still have a secondhand Tachymetric relay please? Mine keeps the fuel pump running after turning off the ignition. I've tried freeing up the points inside. If I bang it it frees up and stops the fuel pump. I'll buy it if you want to send it to me. Cheques in the mail or whatever. Phil Torode 14 Nott St Balwyn VIC 3103. By the way- It' for a 505 engine in a 403. 0432 107 301

Have used it in another car.

try lewin partridge in bris 0733534445 pugs

Yes that may be so but, A$100 + A$30 postage is ridiculous. thanks anyway. cheers

It is hard to argue with that proposition :)
Particularly when despite it being an unusually complicated relay, we are talking about a few $ worth of actual parts.

Hope you find one more reasonably priced.

Go back to my post Oct 2018 then find a wrecker with vl-vs Holden you will find a relay in one of those cars to suit-I thought my post was clear enough.