Where are they all coming from?

Wow, a couple of surprises there for me with the 1975 car prices
A DS was more expensive than a V8 Rover!

Wow a couple of surprises there for me on the 1975 car prices
A DS was more expensive than a V8 Rover!
A VW Passat was the same price as a Kingswood😳
A GS was cheaper than an R16 ( I loved my ‘75 R16 TS, but not as accomplished as a GS)
There has been a few anomalies with vehicle pricing over the years. I had a Peugeot Mi16, which was around $50k I believe in its day. Huge amount in early nineties!
My 2003 Peugeot Coupe came with original purchase papers for around $75k!

cheers
Glenn
I too loved my Renault 16TS such a versatile car.
Wish I still had it…
Agreed , not as interesting as a GS - which I have never driven unfortunately.
Ramon

I too loved my Renault 16TS such a versatile car.
Wish I still had it…
Agreed , not as interesting as a GS - which I have never driven unfortunately.
Ramon
I've owned both, hard to compare though as the Renault was only 8 years old when I owned it whereas the Citroen was 45 years old when I bought it. I've also owned many, many different cars in between (and since) to blur the memories.🤔
No bad memories of them though, I think I'd have a fine example of either, both were quirky, but both were very competent as well.🤷‍♂️

i sometimes feel English is a bit too lively.
to rephrase my last as a question: wasn't Diravi only SM and CX, and wood only Slough TA's?

Early English ’Ds’ had wooden dash boards also

Only the Slough IDs had wooden dashbaords. Slough DSes had much the same dashes as French DSs.

With their leather seats stuffed with horsehair and woodgrain dashes the Slough IDs had a more English feel to them than the Slough DSs.

Roger

In my 30-years of DS ownership I can’t remember a time when there’s been so many for sale on Carsales (and like).
There’s currently 12 for sale, just on Carsales, with at least a couple more on Gumtree.
And the quality of them is also good, ranging from pretty good to very tasty indeed😊
Not sure why they are all emerging.
Any thoughts ?
I am sorry to break into your posts, I hope you don't mind they are interesting reads.
For what it's worth I think there are some valid points as to why all the DSs???
In my case I am a car buff; my car is a classic non - French, roadster / convertible and my reason for selling is health issues. So I would imagine there could be quite a few oldies in the same boat. As with my car during lockdown it was worked on, pulled apart and more to give me something to do. Now that the lockdowns are but a memory I think a lot of car buffs are looking to get some return for their efforts and at least try and stay in front of the drawdowns against their supper funds. As an example my car is for sale @ 10k under agreed insured value and 20k under what I've spent on it and all I get is scammers, freeloads and silly offers.
My issue, I would like a DS and there are plenty to choose from but I know nothing about them and if they are worth what they are being sold for?

What will the future hold...not many old blokes with old cars.

Reactions: IWS
It's a how long is a piece of string question. For some cars, the market is really extremely shallow and prices can take a real hit when there are more sellers than buyers at a particular time. There will be demographic change that works against some old cars more than others, but the reduced space and cost of it in large cities will also make it impractical for many to own a hobby car , even if they want one. Out of a selection on offer there is bound to be one or maybe more very motivated sellers prepared to cave on price. Given the time and money that goes into restoring many cars properly, it can be hard to ever recoup the outlay. Paying more to begin with for a car that hase been properly fixed can often end up being less expensive in the longer-term, but most buyers will be swayed by paint/trim vs mechanical excellence. It's the gold-plated crankshaft problem and you rarely recover the outlay for that. It's usually best to restore the car in a way that gives you the best chance of selling for a solid price, but always anticipating a loss.
Not all of the D models on offer at the moment are really the same animal or even close to you, so that will narrow your choice. The smartest thing to do is to try to find a few owners not too far from home and have a look at the cars to see if the reality is what you expect. It often isn't. Try to work out if the health issues you allude to would impact your ability to drive one of these cars. For example, do you really need to find an auto or a semi-auto and exclude the manuals from the search? You can certainly find a D of some sort for less than the asking prices on Carsales, but you may be buying more work than you can manage.

I have had my quite tidy d special on gumtree for nearly 2 years now and now use the comments , visits by the non educated and low offers as entertainment .
there are some right tossers out there.

I have had my quite tidy d special on gumtree for nearly 2 years now and now use the comments , visits by the non educated and low offers as entertainment .
there are some right tossers out there.
$8K cash today?😉
Would you swap a tidy VT Commodore and an Xbox for it?😁

A guy put up a photo of a Reliant Regal sedan off a UK website on Marketplace with "wanted to buy".
I messaged him and said I'll sell you mine if you want to have a look, it's the only Regal sedan in Australia.
No price mentioned, "OK thanks" was the only correspondence from him.
Guess he didn't really want one after all.🤣

It's a how long is a piece of string question. For some cars, the market is really extremely shallow and prices can take a real hit when there are more sellers than buyers at a particular time. There will be demographic change that works against some old cars more than others, but the reduced space and cost of it in large cities will also make it impractical for many to own a hobby car , even if they want one. Out of a selection on offer there is bound to be one or maybe more very motivated sellers prepared to cave on price. Given the time and money that goes into restoring many cars properly, it can be hard to ever recoup the outlay. Paying more to begin with for a car that hase been properly fixed can often end up being less expensive in the longer-term, but most buyers will be swayed by paint/trim vs mechanical excellence. It's the gold-plated crankshaft problem and you rarely recover the outlay for that. It's usually best to restore the car in a way that gives you the best chance of selling for a solid price, but always anticipating a loss.
Not all of the D models on offer at the moment are really the same animal or even close to you, so that will narrow your choice. The smartest thing to do is to try to find a few owners not too far from home and have a look at the cars to see if the reality is what you expect. It often isn't. Try to work out if the health issues you allude to would impact your ability to drive one of these cars. For example, do you really need to find an auto or a semi-auto and exclude the manuals from the search? You can certainly find a D of some sort for less than the asking prices on Carsales, but you may be buying more work than you can manage.
:)(y)