Wheels magazine - archive online

It's great.
Makes you laugh how often a Falcon or a Commodore graced the cover though..

Dave

As the editor once pointed out, a Holden on the front cover meant thousands more sales. People liked to read about their own cars and the Holden was the best seller. And a big advertiser. The only time Wheels seriously crossed GMH was a test showing the deficiencies of the EH 179M.
The 504 wagon was fully imported and seriously expensive. So it was never bought for commercial work. The first couple of cars imported were so rusty in the engine bays they couldn't be sold. They were used by the company reps for Cycles Australia. A shipment in 1977 had been misassembled and the front wheel alignment could never be set right. After a while you couldn't get the wagon only the familiale. Despite the price they found a good market.

omg thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Renault had no interest in assembling the 504 wagon so there was a six year gap with no Peugeot wagon available. The 504 sedan was a profitable model for Renault and there was no interest in chasing mass sales. The 504 familialie found a different market with well off families and was priced as high as the market would stand. JRA realised the profitability of the segment and developed it with the 505 familialie which had the highest mark up of any Peugeot to that time but still sold.
There was some comment within Renault that the assembly standards of the 1976 imports weren't that good.
The comments about the wagon were of course meant to follow on the discussion in the other Wheels thread.

Last edited:
That's a great find - thank you. I discovered a Phase 2 605 review from march 1995 that had a press pic of a NSW rego red 605, presumably the press car. I did a search on the rego no and it was cancelled in 1999. Unusual that it is still in the system. Whenever I've looked for old family car regos thay didn't come up at all. I wonder what happened to that 605.

Victoria has a policy with earlier registrations of not releasing owner details. The archive has been given to the AOMC to administer but only after ownership details were removed. In the process destroying much of its value. I'm not sure what the date cut off for the archive was.

An excellent find for lockdown. I was wondering what to do this afternoon.

Victoria has a policy with earlier registrations of not releasing owner details. The archive has been given to the AOMC to administer but only after ownership details were removed. In the process destroying much of its value. I'm not sure what the date cut off for the archive was.
I didn't think you could find owner details for any vehicle rego search in any state/territory, just only a partial VIN, make/model/colour and existing registration info (if any). I don't know enough about NSW, how they record the details. Eg if you cancel a rego because you have moved or bought the car and live interstate. As I said, older regos I've checked before, usually no records exist at all.

I've found the name and address of the Sydney Peugeot buyers from MotorHouse in 1917. The Victorian archive is with AOMC and they will search for a fee.
There was an unfinished project to list name and details of every car in Victoria registered before 1914.
Peugeot registrations pre 1920 in Victoria are very hard to establish.
A historian was trying to trace a get away car used in a crime by a certain identity in 1917 and rumour has it as a large 1915 Peugeot but I was unable to help.

Last edited:
Without getting too far away from the core values of a French car forum, you should see the setup in Sweden.

With just the rego you can see who owns the car. That site has a link to another site which shows you where that person lives, and what their contact details are.

Talk about ´´grand frère´´, or in this case, storebror.