What's wrong with this Xantia V6?

Take a close look at this pic

http://www.fowles.com.au/photo.aspx?m=1759007&n=1&s=F

It has had a sideswipe and has lost the rear view mirror (the one with the outside temp sensor in it), a side window, had a dingle in the front bumper and is red. The paint is a two pack so if C5 prices are a guide, the mirror should be $800< the paint job a couple of thousand minimum plus whatever else is damaged. I have suspicions this car has already gone to auction and was supposedly suffering from a front suspension problem (cause of accident or result I can't say). The interior has been scrubbed if you look closely also, so your guess on swimming practice may be close to the mark.
I know a tyre kicker down that way, so I might get him to make a few discreet enquiries if you like.

Alan S

Alan S said:
Take a close look at this pic

http://www.fowles.com.au/photo.aspx?m=1759007&n=1&s=F

It has had a sideswipe and has lost the rear view mirror (the one with the outside temp sensor in it), a side window, had a dingle in the front bumper and is red. The paint is a two pack so if C5 prices are a guide, the mirror should be $800< the paint job a couple of thousand minimum plus whatever else is damaged.
That doesn't sound like enough damage to write it off - this would have to have been a $15k car, esp. with only 93k on the odo. Hmm, what's the timing belt life on these?
Alan S said:
I have suspicions this car has already gone to auction and was supposedly suffering from a front suspension problem (cause of accident or result I can't say). The interior has been scrubbed if you look closely also, so your guess on swimming practice may be close to the mark.
I know a tyre kicker down that way, so I might get him to make a few discreet enquiries if you like.

Alan S

This one just caught my eye as usually you see very visible & extensive damage on a car so young being written off. If it's been swimming then that's not good, electricals don't like swimming & for most cars that would be enough for a writeoff.

Barry.

I'd be VERY interested myself if the price was right. I'd check the engine and gearbox oil for water first. If there clean, I don't see a real problem. The likelyhood of water getting high enough to contaminate the computers is unlikely. The wiring connections would dry out ok (after all they get saturated whenever you drive over flooded roads).

If all else fails, it'd be a cheap and easy way to spice up my old Xantia slugomatic (certainly it'd tow the caravan easier with a V6 plugged in there).

seeya,
Shane L.

Don't forget there could be a door and a front guard in that too.
Cambelt overseas on one of those I've seen quoted at between 450 and 600 UK pounds; shit of a job they reckon.
Two pack in red would be at least half the car to be repainted possibly a complete recoat and I can see that being close to around $5K, so it would be a marginal proposition unless you could DIY it in a big way.
As I say, if you're interested, let me know and I'll get "Honest John" to check it out. :deal: :rolleyes:
No worries about him getting in under anyone's neck; strictly a GM and rice man :crazy: :cancan: :joker:

Alan S :cheers:

The damage looks similar to one of our cars that was hit while parked against a kerb. The impact pushed it into the kerb and left it a bit thinner than it should be... While that car didn't look too bad, it was pretty badly bent and required reshelling.

Even considering that, the Xantia doesn't look that bad.

The biggest point is make sure the shell isn't twisted.

Martin bray would be a good source of Xantia body panels (I imagine). ebay.com would find you a new mirror quite cheaply. You'd most likely need to be able to use a drill to remove the damaged panels, and a MIG to fit the replacements (after spending massive amount of time ensuring it's line up correctly).

The hardest most expensive bit would probably be the paint. I don't know many DIY type people that would use 2pack paint .......

Without seeing the car it's impossible to really know.

seeya,
Shane L.