Whats all this Adblue stuff

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Just hearing about global supply chains running out of urea... so why cant modern diesel engine work without if it's only added to the exhaust?

I get that it transforms NO to save the planet, and I'm quite a fan of that, and I undersatnd ECU's would stop engines running in order to meet emissions, but like... the engine still works right? the Adblue doesn't lower the exhaust temp to protect stuff or do anything mechnical in that way?

Just hearing about global supply chains running out of urea... so why cant modern diesel engine work without if it's only added to the exhaust?

I get that it transforms NO to save the planet, and I'm quite a fan of that, and I undersatnd ECU's would stop engines running in order to meet emissions, but like... the engine still works right? the Adblue doesn't lower the exhaust temp to protect stuff or do anything mechnical in that way?
They would have to be reprogrammed to run without it which is of course illegal. Same as running a modern petrol engine without a cat.
There are some Adblue "bypass hacks" on YouTube for some of the more common diesel models. You can also buy Adblue emulators on EBay etc to bypass it yourself, both still illegal of course. At high temperatures the Adblue breaks the greenhouse NO2 gas down into harmless nitrogen and water.

Apparently they aren't sure how much Adblue is around as some companies have been stockpiling for a "rainy day".
Could be interesting times ahead if the predictions come to fruition.🤷‍♂️

The Adblue is there to remove oxides of nitrogen, by changing them to some of the components of air. That is all.

When AdBlue is added to the exhaust gases, the deionised water evaporates leaving the urea to thermally decompose and form ammonia and isocyanic acid. The isocyanic acid then reacts with the water vapour present to produce more ammonia as well as carbon dioxide.

The ammonia is the important bit. It reacts with the NOx, reducing them to water and nitrogen, so out the tail pipie come nitrogen, water vapour, and carbon dioxide, all natural components of air.

Because of national design rules, a vehicle designed for Adblue will be put out of action by the software as you note. Without that the engine would keep going.

The shortage might be the incentive for added-on electronics to fool the vehicle computer.

This was in the news today: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12...s-threat-to-australias-supply-chain/100683230

Why don't the drivers of Diesel vehicles just piss into the Adblue tank, cut-out the middleman.
You won't be able to call it adblue, but adyellow.

Cheers all. Ok I get it. Firmware update and everyone still gets their bananas on time should the world looks like it's ending because we all can't get our bananas on time.

Subscribe for more geopolitical banana related facts!

Poor Greta Thunberg will blow a gasket.😁👍

As will every other world citizen concerned with the shape the planet is currently in. I'm more interested in "whose fault is it"? There must be money in Adblue so why are there suddenly no stocks?

As will every other world citizen concerned with the shape the planet is currently in. I'm more interested in "whose fault is it"? There must be money in Adblue so why are there suddenly no stocks?
Because China ceased exporting urea to try control the rising costs of fertiliser in their own back yard.

Yeah I kinda missed it when it was introduced I suppose. Well can't say I keep a close eye on modern diesel applications. It's only become a concern for me as national shipping is getting odd again. It was starting to go back to normal after "shipping container gate" / "covid workforce gate" but delivery drivers are talking about reduced runs to limit the km's travelled :S

Fark they never pick up on time anyway, we'll hardly notice the difference I suppose.

Argh glad I don't use such stuff. Tempting to try a DIY concoction to Seasink's descriptor. Don't worry necessity is the mother of invention, someone will come up with a legal keep everyone happy alternative. Wait and see.

Ken

Not much point peeing in the tank - you excrete only about 20g of urea in a day, depending on things like diet.

I wonder if the systems can detect Adblue, or would they be fooled by demineralised water.

Not much point peeing in the tank - you excrete only about 20g of urea in a day, depending on things like diet.

I wonder if the systems can detect Adblue, or would they be fooled by demineralised water.
Some can but I would be more worried about destroying the very fragile pumps and injectors in these band aids

"Reputable large quantity of adblue for sale. If anyone needs."

Hmm it is a problem having a public face to the world. AFs attracts quite a few newbies that are basically offering services.

SG LASKA

Tadpole
New member · From Singapore
Joined Today at 3:27 AM
Last seen Today at 3:31 AM

Jaahn

A point of edumacation to counter the predictable and idiotic Greta comments etc - Selective Catalytic Reduction is designed to reduce NOx emissions which are primarily a human health issue. As well as acid rain.

These Urea fed exhaust after treatment systems are actually a new producer of CO2 - the chemical reactions produce additional CO2. Google it if you remembered your high school chemistry.

So Greta et all will be quite pleased with the adblue stopping ;)

Urea of course is produced in many countries in tens of millions of tonnes as a fertiliser and is still available in bulk but at four times last years price. Most urea is sold in granulated form but you can buy liquid concentrate in 1000 litre shuttles. Adblue is a refined manufactured product. Not all modern diesels require it such as the five cylinder Mazda BT50/Ford Ranger or Deutz tractor diesels but trucks do.