What Wheels???

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know the maximum size of wheels that will fit onto the Renault 19? Someone told me that the 'tie-rods' might not be strong enough to take huge wheels. Im not worried about loosing ride quality. I have to get these 13 inch training wheels off the car at once. Does anyone have any advice or sugestions?
danielsydney@hotmail.com

Daniel,

Tie rods shouldn't be an issue unless you're intending on visiting LeMans, but rather, the tyre clearance under the wheel arches and on full lock. You usually go up in wheel sizes whilst dropping profiles (70,65,60,55 etc.) and maintaining overall diameter. This retains gearing and speedo calibration. Unfortunately with the 19 there haven't been many modded by people on this board - I think it's a matter of trying different wheels. With the 4 studs, you shouldn't have a problem once you know the wheel stud diameter and offset - most decent tyre/wheel places will have you right in a jiffy..

Stuey

Cheers for that. Should 16"s be ok on the car. There are some websites o/seas that people have put big wheels on the cars. My grandad said that i wont be able to control the car. He told me he wouldnt put wheeks that big on his falcon, but my pop is over 80.....

D,

Honestly, I don't know, but I reckon 16's would be one size too big. Also, if you go too wide it might tramline a bit (follow road ridges - gets tiring). Only a good tyre place (or a dude with a 19 and big wheels) can help, though...

Stuey