What to look for/tools to take?

tlampre

Fellow Frogger
Hi, I'm catching the train over to Adelaide this Friday to investigate and hopefully repair the LHM leak on my BX.

The leak is behind the engine and drips off the sump with another drip just behind the front cross member. Not having either the time or equipment to properly investigate when I was there last I can't be any more specific as to its location.

I'll be loading a suitcase up with my jack, axle stands, sockets, spanners etc. I.e. 'standard' tools. Should I be taking anything else?

If it's just a split return line I may be able to shorten it and put a barbed joiner in. Anyone done this?

I'm hoping to get enough done to get back to Melbourne and fix it properly. I'd appreciate any advice on things I can do beforehand to give myself the best chance at success.

Regards,
Trevor

Best option would be to find an AF member in Adeliade with some tools and a little time to spare.

Anyone out there on old AF that's going to help him out :confused: :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

Disabled BX

I have a friend with a hoist in his garage that MAY be available for hire at about $10 an hour (that's what we pay). I could also borrow his car trailer and arrange to tow the vehicle to his place. This would make working easier and SAFER.
Where is the BX located?
Call me on 0402 319 724
Philip

Trevor,

The LHM leak from the back of the engine dripping of the sump has me a bit stumped as there is no LHM based stuff on the back of the engine. Are you sure this is not coming from the accumulator/regulator/flow diverter valve on the front and then running down to the bottom of the sump? If it is, all you can really do to this lot in a temporary capacity is tighten up all the unions and put some ring clamps around the connections to the rubber return hoses.

The other leak sounds llike its in the 'octopus' return system that runs along the front subframe. There is not much room to work on that when the engine/GB is in the car but I have had some success reaching in either side of the passenger side front hub to reconnect pipes that have come undone.

Another trick I have found is that superglue can work well to do temporary repairs to rubber T joints that have split on one side of the join. You need to use Metho and cotton bud to clean all the LHM out of the crack, then put the superglue on the rubber and hold it together until it goes off. At first it seems to melt the rubber and then about a minute later it goes solid again.

Most problems seem to occur when an accumulator sphere blows. Lots of nitrogen gets forced down the drain from the regulator which either blows the nylon pipe out of the rubber reducer on the drain of the regulator, or if you follow this over the gearbox and into the octopus region, out of the other end or it blows off some of the other pipes that attach to the octopus.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Ken W

Ken W said:
Trevor,

The LHM leak from the back of the engine dripping of the sump has me a bit stumped as there is no LHM based stuff on the back of the engine. Are you sure this is not coming from the accumulator/regulator/flow diverter valve on the front and then running down to the bottom of the sump? If it is, all you can really do to this lot in a temporary capacity is tighten up all the unions and put some ring clamps around the connections to the rubber return hoses.
It's quite possible the drip from the sump is coming via the front. The car was right down on the stops and difficult to get under to see. This is the fastest leak. Once I get the nose up a bit to clean everything up I'll be in a better position to see. I have a slow oil leak as well, which gets blown everywhere while driving from Melbourne and makes it hard to tell which gunk is coming from where.
The other leak sounds like its in the 'octopus' return system that runs along the front subframe. There is not much room to work on that when the engine/GB is in the car but I have had some success reaching in either side of the passenger side front hub to reconnect pipes that have come undone.
I have new 'octopus' installed a few weeks ago by FC. This shouldn't be the problem.
Another trick I have found is that superglue can work well to do temporary repairs to rubber T joints that have split on one side of the join. You need to use Metho and cotton bud to clean all the LHM out of the crack, then put the superglue on the rubber and hold it together until it goes off. At first it seems to melt the rubber and then about a minute later it goes solid again.
Takes note...pack plenty of superglue...
Most problems seem to occur when an accumulator sphere blows. Lots of nitrogen gets forced down the drain from the regulator which either blows the nylon pipe out of the rubber reducer on the drain of the regulator, or if you follow this over the gearbox and into the octopus region, out of the other end or it blows off some of the other pipes that attach to the octopus.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Ken W
Yes, it does. Thanks.

philipjh said:
I have a friend with a hoist in his garage that MAY be available for hire at about $10 an hour (that's what we pay). I could also borrow his car trailer and arrange to tow the vehicle to his place. This would make working easier and SAFER.
Where is the BX located?
Call me on 0402 319 724
Philip
Thanks for the offer but I don't really want to get too involved, I'll be on a bit of a schedule as there are other things I need to fit in. If it's not an obvious fix I'll leave it for Ron.

I have some axcel stands and ramps (and choks) you are welcome to borrow. Also my tools, new kit this year after some toerag nicked my old gear.

Drop me a pm if that would help.

I live inner city so can't offer space however. At the risk of sounding like a worm record, this is the time that your Club membership is useful. You will find the SA Citroen club small but helpful.

regards
sean

sdabel said:
I have some axcel stands and ramps (and choks) you are welcome to borrow. Also my tools, new kit this year after some toerag nicked my old gear.

Drop me a pm if that would help.
Thanks for the offer, I have some very sturdy axle stands plus my trolley jack. My suitcase is going to be pretty heavy but it has wheels and I'm close the the station. Pity the poor slob who has to load it onto the train!

I live inner city so can't offer space however. At the risk of sounding like a worm record, this is the time that your Club membership is useful. You will find the SA Citroen club small but helpful.
regards
sean
Yes, I should look into this.

Regards,
Trevor

tlampre said:
Thanks for the offer, I have some very sturdy axle stands plus my trolley jack. My suitcase is going to be pretty heavy but it has wheels and I'm close the the station. Pity the poor slob who has to load it onto the train!

Yes, I should look into this.

Regards,
Trevor

Gee's ... I'd take him up on the offer, even if it was to try and beg a drive out of his turbo diesel XM :dance: :dance: :citplak:

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Gee's ... I'd take him up on the offer, even if it was to try and beg a drive out of his turbo diesel XM :dance: :dance: :citplak:

seeya,
Shane L.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I see your point, but I have a few other things to do while I'm there besides the BX. I'll be giving myself until about lunch time to sort it or abort it. I have other options if it's a no-go. My son has been onto me for ages about rebuilding an engine so maybe this is providence in action.

I will just go and sulk now! :joker:

Good luck with the trip.

regards
sean