What is the REAL difference between a 306 s16 and gti 6?

LEWD

Fellow Frogger
Im looking at getting a 306 as a but of a run around car while i wait for my next project car to be street driveable.....and was wondering what the real world difference between the s16 and gti6 is....i can see that the gti6 has a bit more power and torque, weighs a little more, but the power to weight is in its favour....obviously its a newer car, but with that comes a 10 grand price difference.....

i love driving around mountains so handling and control is more important to me than straight line speed.....

help!

GTi6 has:

124KW (instead of 117KW or thereabouts ?)
6 speed gearbox (nice close ratios)
updated (N5) chassis & interior
later models have side airbags

oh yes and that turning circle :blush: but you get used to it after a week or so. You'll never attempt a u-turn again :roflmao:

Is that you Pete?

Go for a test drive, if i had a limited budget i'd go the S16.
if you can stretch it to 20Kish go the GTi....speak to Alex's dad, he might be selling his.

yeah its me....

i guess what i really want to know is there a huge difference to justify spending 10 grand more? if it was 5 grand ok, but 10?

oh and let me make it a bit harder....405 mi16? just realised they are about the same weight...whcih i find strange.....

so now there are 3 cars to choose from......

The GTi6 has a higher compression engine at 10.8:1 (I believe), as opposed to 10.4:1 in the S16 and Mi16.

Also depends on your budget and what you need. 2 door or 4 door? Is size important etc.?

• GTi6 - Updated body with round fogs, slightly different lights, bonnet, guards.
    Not sure about brakes, think discs might be slightly larger.
    Mileage will most likely be under 100,000km, all 306's need cambelt changed at 80,000km which is a biggish job.
  • S16 - Older style with square fogs, can look a bit dated.
    Mileage could be getting on, S16's have some problems with coilpacks going but nothign major.
  • 405 Mi16 - series 1 was like mine, 1.9 16v, pretty rattly, cheap interior.
    light car that handles like a little hatch, flat below 4000rpm but like a vtec above.

series 2 has a 2.0 16v, same as in the S16.
    more power and not as peaky as the 1.9, more refined, bit heavier.
All cars should have air con, ps, abs electrics etc.
some early 405's wont have air con, some cars will have leather.

depends what your budget is and what you want from it.
the GTi6 will be quickest overall, the others all pretty similar.

wanna buy my XSi?
comes with free teamazm sticker ;)

HHAHAHA
From a prelude to a 306!! Good to see some sense has come into your head!!

Hey andreas are you selling, i may be interested dude!

andreas, is that the chameleon pug you had at the bbq? if so, its a bit loud for my liking.....i just need a good little car to get around in, which doesnt mind a good drive through the yarra valley etc......

so 405 mi16 is a bit to old you think? i have a freind who has one, and its pretty good....what problems to they suffer from?

then i guess its s16 or gti6.......

Hey lude if you aren't interested in power but just want something to fang around the hills at a decent rate how about we play "musical cars". You take my 306xt & i take andreas's xsi.

Btw what year is your xsi & how many km's Andreas?

early Mi16's are getting on, later ones (upto 95 it think) should still be very good and pricewise excellent.
i'd be guessing but they're in the low teens, not bad for a car that was 40-50K new.

depends if you need 4 doors or not, 405's have got a huge boot for their size.

yeah that was my 306 at the bbq, Asanka...we can talk.

purrr-geot said:
HHAHAHA
From a prelude to a 306!! Good to see some sense has come into your head!!
HEY! I went from a Prelude to a 306 as well :p What 'lude do you have?

If it's just a run-about car, I'd recommend a S16 or a 306 XSI, no point in wasting a GTi6 on someone that isn't going to keep it, I reckon! :p

Seriously though, the GTi6 is quicker and handles better, if marginally. The S16 got the Mi16 engine, whilst the Gti6 is a heavily revised version of the same engine with quite a few upgraded parts to get that extra power. From what my mechanic has said there's a lot of custom parts in that GTi6, which is where the extra 10K is...also the GTi6 is more desirable in the market so holds it's value better than the S16. As such, the S16 is the better value of the two.

Me? I'd get an XSi, that's a great car too and you'll have 4 doors.

LEWD said:
Im looking at getting a 306 as a but of a run around car while i wait for my next project car to be street driveable.....and was wondering what the real world difference between the s16 and gti6 is....i can see that the gti6 has a bit more power and torque, weighs a little more, but the power to weight is in its favour....obviously its a newer car, but with that comes a 10 grand price difference.....

i love driving around mountains so handling and control is more important to me than straight line speed.....

help!

Lots of people know about the different turning circle on a GTI6 but most haven’t worked out it is larger only on right hand turns. In day to day driving you are unlikely to be aware of it.
GTi6 also has more advanced electronics- more flexible and easy to drive
than an S16.
All Gti 6 have at least two airbags. Late 99 on GTi6 will have 4 airbags and better remote central locking. Gti6 also have mechanically boosted brakes -ie mech vac pump supplements manifold vac for booster, better upholstery, rain sensing wipers, most have a CD player. The main drivability difference if more torque. Factory exhaust is very good.

Was the XSI released in Auto and was leather standard?

Cya Stalled

STALLED said:
Was the XSI released in Auto and was leather standard?

Cya Stalled
1. Yes (N3/ first half of N5s) / No (N5s after MY01)
2. No (not full leather anyway)

Try and look for an S16 in good nick and take it for a drive. Should not be that much in it in day to day driving between the GTI6 and the S16 however as I always say, find the best ones for sale (if there are any S16's as they are quite rare) and take them for a spin and see what you think.

In any case none will disappoint in the twisty stuff.

I have an XSi and have been really happy with its performance.

It's a really fun car to drive and can beat/keep up with alot of cars out there.

But if you have the money I'd go for the Gti-6