What is the max time to replace a timing belt on a very low km car.

That's the correct technical answer IMHO for a low cost, non-interference car not to be kept for ever. When the belt breaks or a pulley fails, as it will, if it strands your wife on a baking hot day somewhere difficult, that might not have been the correct perspective to have applied... :roflmao:

John is spot on. The emotion will overshadow the rationale every time:confused: :roflmao:

John is spot on. The emotion will overshadow the rationale every time:confused: :roflmao:

Especially if she misses a long standing appointment or child collection and finds the phone is flat.... As the husband, I'd regard fixing it before it broke as the rational approach!

Sorry to put a downer on this, but according to Boyce's Auto Library, it is an interference engine. Mind you, all my years in the trade, I've never come across a Laser (same as Mazda Tarzan with different haircut) that's actually broken a belt. I think the steel pulleys help that. I always used to do just the belt the first time, but everything the belt touches the second time, or by 200 k's. Gates do a kit (belt, tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump, crank and cam seals). At the end of the day, it only takes one of the parts associated with the belt to fail to get the same result as the belt breaking or teeth stripping. These are one of the easier belts to do as mentioned, especially if you just do the belt. The standard repair time is 2.5 hours. I personally wouldn't be too fussed about doing it in a hurry Jaahn, despite being way past the recommended 6 year interval :wink2: