What do Peugeot owners do? (A question about steering racks)

ajm212

Fellow Frogger
Over on the other side – the Citroën forum – I’ve being getting a lot of help on leaking steering rack of my XM. I’ve learnt that the leak at one connection to the steering valve has been caused by repeated movement of the pipes connecting it to the ram due, in turn, to a failing rubber bush that allows the ram to move too much.

The rack is now miraculously out, the bushes are indeed mush and even though I can’t see any cracks in the pipes, I want to replace them.

The bushes are on their way from the UK but getting a set of pipes made up is proving more difficult. They are not Citroën-style hydraulic components but are made of 6mm OD steel and the flares are, I believe, ISO/DIN bubble flares. The trouble is that none of places I’ve spoken to do the flares or deal in metric (e.g., Pirtek, brake, clutch and power steering services around Melbourne). I have found the pipe online but even if I ordered it from France, the chances of getting it flared don’t look too good.

Now – the reason I’m here – the steering set up on the XM is very similar to Peugeots, notably some 406 models with which it shares some components. So I presume that someone here has had a similar problem at some stage. My question is ‘what did you do?’

Any leads or ideas are most welcome.

Andrew

XM steering rack pipes.jpg

It's never been something to think about for me, but what do operators of Yanmar and Komatsu equipment do? I can't imagine Japanese machines using non-metric.

Some French manufacturers gave up on liquid electricity and have gone to electrical electricity for things like power steering.

It's never been something to think about for me, but what do operator Yanmar and Komatsu equipment do? I can't imagine Japanese machines using non-metric.

Agreed, however you also would not imagine / think that Enzed etc, would be dealing with solely USA / British machines.
John