What diff is this - which model 505 (or 504)?

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
Hi All

I picked up this diff recently from Robert at Le French Motor.

Can anyone please tell me what model it is from? I am assuming a wagon given the studs for the axle tubes to bolt up to.

It has 9 x 384 T6 stamped on the end of the pinion shaft.

Next question - does this have an LSD stuffed inside?

And if it does, can I use the LSD components from this diff and put them into my 1972 petrol sedan diff?

Thank you

Peugeot diff.jpg

Take a look in the hole to see whether it has an LSD. If it has it won't fit your early diff, different number of bolt holes on the crown wheel. These diffs are useless anyway, need to be shimmed up tight to make them do anything.

Thanks Graham

Looking through the hole where the axle goes in, all I can see is a cross pin. See picture

Do you know which model 505 this Diff is from?

Inside diff.jpg

Cheers

It could be an LSD with the 4.22 ratio which is the GTI manual diff.
The spline hole you look into, possibly LHS is split for a LSD. Like having 2 splines on one side.
No split spline, then probably a basic 505 wagon diff from maybe an SR etc.
Bob

I have a diff from an 505 SLi wagon (spare for my 504 wagon), numbers on that are 9 X 38 A 51. Yes, to checking for split splined area on LSD.

It's a non-LSD 4.22 diff.

In the LSD ones, you can see the springs when you look down the centre. Yours has no springs.

It's probably from a basic 505 wagon, or a 504 wagon (not familiale).

As far as I know, there should be some identifying numbers stamped on the diff casing on one of the shoulders, near the input shaft.

It's a non-LSD 4.22 diff.

In the LSD ones, you can see the springs when you look down the centre. Yours has no springs.

It's probably from a basic 505 wagon, or a 504 wagon (not familiale).

So the Familiale has 4.1 diff Scotty?

OK, so I will have slightly shorter gearing if I ever have to use my spare diff.

Graham,
I have 2 good 4.1 wagon diffs here and I threw a 3rd on the tip only a week ago.
You are most welcome to have one if you ever need it.
OR put a 7/5 in !!
Bob

Thanks Bob but I'm fine, the present 4.1 is working perfectly and happy to put up with 4.2 if the unlikely happens. I'm using it for a tow car for 309 and Citroen VTS competition cars so not looking to put a 5 speed in.

Ok thanks everyone

in that case, anyone want to buy a good second hand 4.22 504 or early 505 wagon diff (non LSD)?