Welsh Police Cars

GreenBlood

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Member George has asked me to post these pics for him. ;)

During a recent trip to Cardiff Wales, I spotted
a police car which I had to take a picture of. Sorry about the poor quality of the images.

George

Pugcop0.JPG

Pugcop1.JPG

Pugcop2.JPG

Cheers
Chris

Hey George,

Are you from Wales? My wife's from Cardiff so we've spent a bit of time there. Love the way the Welsh are getting back into their language - see the buses with Bws Caerdydd on the side? Lucky they were big with lots of seats on them and were stopping regularly, otherwise I wouldn't have known they were buses...

Where's that taken, outside Cardiff City Hall (I think it's called)?

Stuey

Stuey,

No I'm not from Wales, I was only in Cardiff on a business trip. It's a great city, pity the weather is so miserable this time of the year.
I think I took the photo's within the University campus.

george :p

George,
Just been re reading an old issue of Classic Cars June '97 small article on some of the cars used by the Police around the world...in 1962 the Italian force were issued with 40 special Ferraris' 250GTE 12 cylinder 240bhp. One of these was written off on it's first day out :p :p the Brits include Sunbeam Tiger V8, Daimler SP250 2 door open sports, MGB's and of course Mini Cooper S.

For the record I bought the mag for the great article on how a '75 DS rated against it's modern day rivals 22 years on. Needless to say very favourably :D :cool: :cool: :D

Cheers
Chris

Alpine's and Renault's seemed to be the mainstay of the French police, although I do remember seeing somewhere a picture of a Gendarmerie SM.

Seems like AUS must have followed the UK in the issuing of Daimler SP250's and Cooper S's to the police. But after a Chrysler Royal or Valiant a Cooper S must have been sensational!

...because of that STUPID tiny rubber cooling hose between head and block?

Bad memories of that :)

Actually come to think of it, the brakes were always needing work on mine too (mind you, mine was only an 850, not a Cooper!)

Stuey,
Been looking through all my Cit paraphernalia, can't find any pics of DS police cars? Certainly IDs were used, the French seem to have been quite diplomatic and use cars from the stables of Citroen, Peugeot, and Renault. Currently cruising around in Clios :cool: anyone out there with a decent pic of a DS law enforcer?

Cheers
Chris

Europa,

Know the hose well. Devised a technique using two paint scrapers and rubber grease to replace it...Don't ask!

My brakes were great - bit different to the 850 drums though!

'Blood - sure I'd seen a movie on SBS with a DS cop car.

Cheers

Stuey