Welding on a Megane 1.2

JoBo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Appreciate any guidance on tig welding a little pressed in nut that holds the underbody engine splash plastic shield unto the body. It began to turn so i wonder if i would damage any electronics if it tiged the collar of that nut onto the body. What precautions if any are required?

Attachments

• splashnutmegane.jpg
    splashnutmegane.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 131
I am assuming you are competent enough to undertake the task or else you would not even consider it.
Make sure the return lead is as close as possible to the weld site. You can disconnect the battery as an extra precaution.

I am assuming you are competent enough to undertake the task or else you would not even consider it.
Make sure the return lead is as close as possible to the weld site. You can disconnect the battery as an extra precaution.
But the nut is recessed back in the chassis. How could it possibly be welded :)

As Double Chevron has said, it looks like a rivnut or nutsert that is originally fitted. Just needs to have the top collar drilled off and the nut section will fall inside. I don’t expect this will cause much problem.

A 6mm? nutsert then can easily be fitted to the original hole. It fits similarly to a pop rivet.
A lot less hassle than having to drill a bigger hole and weld a nut in place.

If welding, as has been said, put the earth close to the welding point and disconnect the battery.

Reactions: COL
It is the case as Aln describes

how are you going to tig weld that? You really need to punch it out and probably fit a rivnut :)
As Double Chevron has said, it looks like a rivnut or nutsert that is originally fitted. Just needs to have the top collar drilled off and the nut section will fall inside. I don’t expect this will cause much problem.

A 6mm? nutsert then can easily be fitted to the original hole. It fits similarly to a pop rivet.
A lot less hassle than having to drill a bigger hole and weld a nut in place.

If welding, as has been said, put the earth close to the welding point and disconnect the battery.
I would be going the "nutsert" route too, should be an easy fix

Yes, decided not to weld. Will go to Metro Bolts to get a nutsert. Not too keen disconnecting the battery even though a Renault tech told me that it should be ok when changing the battery.

I have had no problems with disconnecting the battery on Megane 2s. Just need the radio code and everything else is fine.

Thank you everybody for their input!
Aln it was easier to just get these two 'nutserts' and a HT bolt particularly since it was an easy drive to Clayton Metro Bolts.
He charged me $1.- :oops:, i was so surprised i gave him $2.-