Wayne's Aronde racer

Silly teenage stunt

Westair said:
Front wheel or back wheel?

Ahhhh - the memories of Kew Boulevard in the mid '60s!! :D
That guy with the hot Aronde Coupe from my teenage years was able to lift a front wheel on cue just like the Cortinas GT500s. When pressed he lifted a rear wheel as well. He was a Fonzy(sp?) type guy who hung around the Harp Junction garage where they had a string of racing FJs, so he may have had a bit of track experience to draw on when setting up his Aronde

His 'party trick' was to stick his finger in the gap between the body & the door when it was on 3 &/or 2 wheels (on the lifted side of the car) and leave his finger there when he went back onto 4 wheels. :eek: The bodyshell on that Aronde coupe was so strong that there was no flex to squash his finger.

He invited me to do it a few times but I chickened out - I didnt want to be called stumpy!!

The cops didnt seem to bother us much so long as we stayed out of the residential streets :wigham: (Kew Boulevard was unrestricted speed limit) - wouldnt have mattered much though - as the police cars at the time were Studebaker Larks (fast but underbraked & needed balls/experiece for twisty roads, Holden Divisional Vans (EJ or EH) and Ford Anglias (funny back windows).