water in oil!?

renn_205

Fellow Frogger
hello froggers

got my self in a bit of bother... just wondering how much!

i was putting my radiator assembly back in today when i knocked over a water bottle sitting on the engine, so what? well i had removed the oil reciever plug (hole u put oil in to fill it) to get the radiator out (it ws in the way of elec wires) and i very stupidly didn't put it back on!

caught it but some got it in, don't know how much though? about 30-100ml? not more than that i know.

so what do i do?
do i let it sit and sink to the bottom over a couple of days and then drain that bit?
or
just drain the whole lot and replace it? which would suck, just serviced. may be strain the water out?
or
is it to little to worry about

your help much appreciated
renn

What oil do you use? expensive or other?. My point i asking is, if you are worried, then drain the oil and refill. Decent oil that will do the job well, can be bought for about $35 bucks, is this too much.
You mentioned that you had a serviec recently. Im sure the only thing to drain is the oil. Its hard to say what a little water will do, but if you drive the little Pug hard and its a little tyred here and there, do you want to risk it.
I think a $35 oil change to be safe, is much cheaper than something major, like gaskets, etc.
good luck.- cheers chris

Don't start it, drain the oil, put in cheap oil, drive it for a day. Change oil and filter. Sounds like a hassle, but bearing damage is a distinct possibility otherwise.

buying new oil isn't a bother, and i've got some left over for alans suggestion.
thought i would have to drain the oil, not sure about chances of saving it even if i strain it through a water proof/resistant siv (time consuming).
replace the brand new filter? would have any water got that far? ahh it will when i start it, because you can't be sure u get rid of all the water when you drain. bugger. gotta do what i gotta do
any other suggestions
are oil filters universal? i guess the mechanic down the road can get one easy, or maybe autopro or similar

Just drain and replace the oil. The oil will be on top of the water, so if it's only 30-100ml, you'll be able to drain most of the oil off. If you haven't started it, there won't be any in the filter. Even if you have, it's not that much of a problem. It will make a bit of a milkshake, but don't worry. Just replace oil and filter.

thanks everybody will drain and replace the oil. i'll probably let drain over night. spanner

then see how we go eh question

hi peter sorry to bother you again, but...
most amusing that i should not have "the right tool for the job!"

another prob of not living the parentals is the limited tools! doh! mallet

i've drained my old corrolla before and didn't need a special square section wrench damn it! so french...

what size wrench am i after?

Probably also an 8mm square??

YOu can refer to:
<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000822" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000822</a>

Just to underline, if you haven't started the engine (as mentioned) the oil will only be in the sump.

And at the bottom of the sump too... so you only need drain a little off, you'll readily see when the water's all gone.

Oil and water won't mix while there's nothing to stir them into emulsion, so let it settle, preferably in a transparent container, separate the water from the oil and re-use the oil.

You won't get it all out this way, I'm willing to bet. There will be a tiny amount remains... drive the car for sufficient distance to get the oil good and hot with the oil cap off and the water will evaporate out of the engine.

If the oil cap can't be left off without splashing oil about, rig up something over the hole to catch the oil... some rag or whatever.

My take on this, for what its worth, is:

1) if the quantity is just 30mls (two tablespoons) in the sump, don't worry about it. It will evaporate off pretty quickly through the regular crankcase "breathing" system and shouldn't cause any damage along the way. (If it was all in one combustion chamber of course it would be a different matter entirely). Take it for a reasonable drive (maybe 50 k) and it will all be gone.

2) with 100mls (half a cup) I'd be a bit more cautious maybe. Maybe let it stand and drain off the bottom litre of oil from the sump and then top up. I doubt personally that even this quantity in the sump will do any real damage though.

That said, oil is cheap compared to a motor, and caution would say that the wise thing to do is to simply change the oil, but I personally doubt that with the quantities concerned here any problems would ensue.

Cheers

Rod

thank you all very much
since i haven't had a chance to get a square section spanner yet. it has had plenty of time to settle down to the bottom. :)

i went over to my papa's and i was shocked not to find a square section set! very strange he every tool under the sun! guess i wasn't looking hard enough.

i'll give a good combo of these a try and see how we go, once a get my hand on the right tools!

thanx again

Renn,

To save you & us the agony of going through it all again, read the attached link re: sump plug tool.
Methinks we may have to get this transferred to the common faults forum as it's a fairly common one.

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000822" target="_blank">Sump plug story</a>

Hopefully should save you a lot of frustration & money.

Alan S cheers!

Ray Bell:

And at the bottom of the sump too... so you only need drain a little off, you'll readily see when the water's all gone.

Oil and water won't mix while there's nothing to stir them into emulsion, so let it settle, preferably in a transparent container, separate the water from the oil and re-use the oil.

You won't get it all out this way, I'm willing to bet. There will be a tiny amount remains... drive the car for sufficient distance to get the oil good and hot with the oil cap off and the water will evaporate out of the engine.

If the oil cap can't be left off without splashing oil about, rig up something over the hole to catch the oil... some rag or whatever.
This sounds like good advice. Water is heavier than oil so it will sink to the bottom of the sump. If you remove the drain plug for just a few seconds you should see any water drain first, followed by the oil, by which time you should quickly screw the plug back in. Then top the oil back up. After this, any remaining droplets of water should evaporate pretty quickly once the oil is up to full operating temperature. I would suggest driving it gently for the first hour or so, just to be sure.

Personnaly, I've driven a Renault 16 very hard for several hundred km with milkshake oil, with no noticeable detriment. But Renault 16 engines are legendary for the lengths to which they can be used and abused.

Hey Renn,

Here's a few more tips regarding sump plug tools, look through this thread:

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000770#000008" target="_blank">More sump plug stories</a>

Cheers,
Richard

Edit: link didn't work...

<small>[ 11 September 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: silverexec ]</small>

thanks

i think peter t put me onto those links, in the end the old trusty door handle/shaft did the trick!

and not a drop of water! looks like nothing got in! after all that. took me a week to find the right tool too! mallet

better safe than sorry! drained the whole lot beacuse there was no water at first. then let it the oil sit for a couple of days, still no water. so NO WATER!!! HOORAA!!! dance

thanks again