Wanted. Peugeot 205 BE1 Lift-up reverse cable

BG5WRC

Fellow Frogger
Hi all.

Looking for a working BE1 lift-up reverse cable. I'll need packing and shipping to Perth please :)

I haven't looked at a working one, but mine appears to be missing the end-cap and spring, and looks like a broken cable at the gearbox end.

Alternatively has anyone managed to repair something like this?

IMG_20210330_200022.jpg
IMG_20210330_195935.jpg

Thank you @pgti6

I'll keep that in mind, although I'd be more than happy for a second-hand unit if anyone has one.

Conversing with myself, looking at what a working one looks like. The inner wire and end-stop and spring look like you could re-create these with some creative parts sourcing. The wire looks similar to manual window regulator wires, and end-stops that you get in window reg repair kits. I'll look at that avenue, and if I'm successful i'll list the parts out.

Capture.PNG

If you are careful, i would try removing the cable. If the plunger that should have been attached to the cable is not there you will still be able to get reverse. There will be no lockout however.

Fit a be3 breather and be done with the lockout.

So yours is missing the end thingo (or are there two things? - the long cylinder and the short, smaller one?) plus spring? How did you lose them? If the cable broke, you should be able to recover the spring and the missing bits, right? Or did they get lost inside the 'box?

Those things look easy to make, I would suggest a cable place would be able to make a new cable for you if they had the original or a good picture. I guess the only really critical dimensions are the little cylinder diameter (which you can measure so it fits the bore) and the length (not sure how you'd find that). If this were mine, I would machine a steel cylinder with a hole, get a spring that fits and then press (squash) the cylinder on the cable with a 20 ton press. That should do it.

Adrian, yes no lockout at the moment. But without it it is waaay to easy to grab reverse, and if not completely stationary - certain symphonies ensue. I think the car has short-shifter linkages, so the difference between R and 1st is not much.

Schlitz, yes missing the plunger and the spring. I bought the car like this, and so far I have not located the missing pieces! I presume they are resting in pieces inside the box. But thanks for the ideas and description, that is along the lines of what I was thinking - which is good validation.

Unless you're totally fascinated by "originality is everything", I'd take the opportunity to swap over to a BE3. The XSi for example, has a nice set of ratios and gearboxes are dirt cheap.

The parts wont be going anywhere. They cant drop down into the box because of the selector rod shaft. Worst case if there are small pieces it will be on the magnet inside the box.

Thankfully it looks like the previous owner fished out the plunger and spring. Over the weekend I found them sitting in the drivers-door pocket :)

I managed to repair this end using crimps and a metal glue epoxy. Unfortunately, after doing this - I then found the reverse lift-up wouldn't budge on the gearstick. So the carpet and underlay, which looks like it hasn't been up since 1987, came up - and it looks like the exhaust headers have caused the firewall to get hot and the in-cabin section of the cable sheath also go hot and is blocked (possibly with melted underlay). The wire was very stuck, and now barely slides back through. So I need to somehow clear this one out (heat maybe?), or make up a new cable surround now, or bite the bullet and buy from Europe.

PeterT, I actually sold my Peugeot 306 Xsi the same day as buying this 205. I agree, it has good ratios for road use.