Wank tank utes-What to buy?

Last June I pulled a B Double of cattle out of trouble with a 100 hp tractor, but it wasn't very stuck, just one side of the drive off the gravel and in the grass.

I am following this thread with interest. My 1997 Holden Rodeo is getting sad, it's done 300,000 km and looks it. I am casting around for a replacement and am confused. From what I read here, everything has problems and the best anyone can say about any of them is they are the least worst. I want 4 wheel drive, single cab, long tray. Yet I have had nothing major go wrong with my Rodeo, only normal wear and tear items. A year or two back my neighbour bought a Colorado, 2008 or 09-ish, 140 or 160,000 km-ish, from a local dealer, $14k from memory, and has had a fair bit of trouble with it (e.g., replacement engine, 4wd not engaging). I was hoping to spend similar $ on a replacement maybe a bit more, and not have problems with the vehicle. By the sound of things, I'm dreaming.

Roger

They don't make much as trades but by the time the dealers mark up you might as well buy new. A 21000 k HiLux was traded in for $34k, sold for 43. As always how to find a well looked after vehicle not one that is being sold because of intractable faults.

I bought the Rodeo from a bloke who had just sold a bale of wool for a world record price back in 2009! It was sitting by his front gate and I drove past. I'm guessing he replaced it because he could afford to.

I keep them until they are close to death and worthless. My previous ute (1987 Mitsubishi L200), at the end of its life (rust) I swapped it with a mate for a Poll Dorset ram. It had about 2 days rego left and he wanted it for a paddock ute. He drove it home, it conked out in his driveway and never ran again. The ram wasn't much better.

Roger

My advice would be buy something with a timing chain not belt and without adblue. Dealer service would be good. Biggest mistake with the old Mazda was taking it to local shonks for service. Spent some real money on that ute, still does the paddock work and the new one further afield.

My advice would be buy something with a timing chain not belt and without adblue. Dealer service would be good. Biggest mistake with the old Mazda was taking it to local shonks for service. Spent some real money on that ute, still does the paddock work and the new one further afield.

Russell, you do realise that if you change the timing belts according to the service manual for your vehicle they will never present a problem?

Using timing belts on a DOHC diesel is bad engineering. Perhaps the most common cause of engine replacement exacerbated by incompetent mechanics who either do not check belts as required or use lower quality belts supplied by motor dealers resulting in less than specified life. After spending $9k on a replacement engine caused by a broken belt supposedly checked at service and within service life I made sure the new Mazda had a chain otherwise I would not have purchased. Older diesels were timed with gears including the early Peugeot engines.

Using timing belts on a DOHC diesel is bad engineering. Perhaps the most common cause of engine replacement exacerbated by incompetent mechanics who either do not check belts as required or use lower quality belts supplied by motor dealers resulting in less than specified life. After spending $9k on a replacement engine caused by a broken belt supposedly checked at service and within service life I made sure the new Mazda had a chain otherwise I would not have purchased. Older diesels were timed with gears including the early Peugeot engines.
Perhaps just use a decent mechanic in the first place...?

Also, Dave is a more than competent mechanic. I’m sure he can handle a timing belt and topping up an adblue tank.

Last June I pulled a B Double of cattle out of trouble with a 100 hp tractor, but it wasn't very stuck, just one side of the drive off the gravel and in the grass.

I am following this thread with interest. My 1997 Holden Rodeo is getting sad, it's done 300,000 km and looks it. I am casting around for a replacement and am confused. From what I read here, everything has problems and the best anyone can say about any of them is they are the least worst. I want 4 wheel drive, single cab, long tray. Yet I have had nothing major go wrong with my Rodeo, only normal wear and tear items. A year or two back my neighbour bought a Colorado, 2008 or 09-ish, 140 or 160,000 km-ish, from a local dealer, $14k from memory, and has had a fair bit of trouble with it (e.g., replacement engine, 4wd not engaging). I was hoping to spend similar $ on a replacement maybe a bit more, and not have problems with the vehicle. By the sound of things, I'm dreaming.

Roger
Why not a Landcruiser ute? We still drive these in the field and they are great. Old generation (whatever that is) straight six diesel is basically unkillable. I get it it doesn't suit Dave (no back seat unless twin cab) but I think it would satisfy you.

Perhaps just use a decent mechanic in the first place...?

Also, Dave is a more than competent mechanic. I’m sure he can handle a timing belt and topping up an adblue tank.
I'm getting to old to f... around with cars unless it's a classic. Plus she could be anywhere in the state when things go bang.

I'm getting to old to f... around with cars unless it's a classic. Plus she could be anywhere in the state when things go bang.

haha, fair enough. I feel that way these days too... He says halfway through a drivetrain install in a Megane.... :(

Speaking of shonky mechanics and going off topic. I have a very dear friend who is also my company book keeper who lives in Merino and her club plated Renault 12 has a leaking radiator and other issures. Is there anyone in the Casterton area trustworthy to work on an old Renault? Who knows how to bleed the cooling system?

Speaking of shonky mechanics and going off topic. I have a very dear friend who is also my company book keeper who lives in Merino and her club plated Renault 12 has a leaking radiator and other issures. Is there anyone in the Casterton area trustworthy to work on an old Renault? Who knows how to bleed the cooling system?
Frankly no. People will take the job on but I've had problems with all of them. That car needs someone who takes time to do a decent job. Casterton Auto is busy and let us down when we trusted them to service the BT50. Jarrad Motors is new, not much business and the mechanic is not well regarded but would probably have the time to do a better job. Don't go to Benson in Coleraine, the mechanic there is expensive and too busy. Used to be an old bloke working from home who did early cars but I think he's retired. I'll ask around. A competent mechanic could make a good living in the country because demand is there and you can buy the workshop for not much money. The Harrow community advertised in Melbourne offering rent free workshop and house. Someone took it up.
Casterton in the 1950's had 100 mechanics and dealers in many makes including Peugeots. The last twenty years have not been kind to the town and population has fallen.
There were two good radiator places in Mt Gambier but there has been animosity towards Victorians and many don't like going there anymore.

Last edited:
A competent mechanic could make a good living in the country because demand is there and you can buy the workshop for not much money
we had one until a couple of years ago, rumour is he had trouble working and trying to extract money from those with deep pockets, all at the same time - he got offered another 'ordinary' job in town, and took it as he was financially better off !
Another guy has started up, but he only works on company owned diesels, hmmmmm....
Bob

Frankly no. People will take the job on but I've had problems with all of them. That car needs someone who takes time to do a decent job. Casterton Auto is busy and let us down when we trusted them to service the BT50. Jarrad Motors is new, not much business and the mechanic is not well regarded but would probably have the time to do a better job. Don't go to Benson in Coleraine, the mechanic there is expensive and too busy. Used to be an old bloke working from home who did early cars but I think he's retired. I'll ask around. A competent mechanic could make a good living in the country because demand is there and you can buy the workshop for not much money. The Harrow community advertised in Melbourne offering rent free workshop and house. Someone took it up.
Casterton in the 1950's had 100 mechanics and dealers in many makes including Peugeots. The last twenty years have not been kind to the town and population has fallen.
There were two good radiator places in Mt Gambier but there has been animosity towards Victorians and many don't like going there anymore.
Hmm that doesn't help her.... I thought of driving there myself but you know what it's like. A 4 hr drive to find you don't have the right part or tool.
Maybe the first trip for the new ute will be to go there with a trailer and bring it to Melbourne.

"My previous ute (1987 Mitsubishi L200), at the end of its life (rust) I swapped it with a mate for a Poll Dorset ram. It had about 2 days rego left and he wanted it for a paddock ute. He drove it home, it conked out in his driveway and never ran again. The ram wasn't much better."
Love the quote.:cautious:

When we sold our place at Mullumbimby about 10 years ago I was looking for a ute & our neighbour had just put his up for sale. It was a Navara '06, 3 ltr diesel single cab aluminum tray & about 160k on it. I checked with a well respected diesel mechanic & he said that was the model to get, last of that model with a chain." Don't touch a later 2.5 ltr model." It was also fitted with snorkel, CB, anderson plug & airbag rear suspension. We paid $13k for it & had no real trouble with it . We have towed some serious loads with it & only now replacing the clutch ( at 320k) with a heavy duty one. I'm also lucky that my mechanic has one of this model as his work vehicle so he's knows them well. Cheers Dave

I bought a new Triton GLS Premium, excellent ute (not to mention price), being able to leave it in full time 4WD is great. Don't be fooled by the other manufacturers claims of 3,500 kg tow capacity. Do the maths re GVM, once two fat blokes jump aboard you've max out GVM! Not mention bullbars, towbars etc.