Vintage motorbike forum

Motorcycle exhaust systems typically come in one of two types anyway. Still, every motorcycle has a slightly different exhaust system. Even the most universal kit can only be used with a select range of bikes. An aftermarket exhaust reduces the backpressure created by the typical stock muffler, which will improve the airflow in the engine, therefore letting the fuel burn more efficiently and increasing the bike's power. At https://www.scootersnchairs.com/blogs/electric-wheelchairs/folding-portable-electric-wheelchairs you can find a lot of valuable information about the portable electric wheelchairs.

Last edited:
and then, on the way to Warrnambool....

DSC00536a.JPG

DSC00537a.JPG

DSC00540a.JPG

DSC00543a.JPG

DSC00544a.JPG

DSC00545a.JPG

DSC00546a.JPG

dunno, there's lots of 'em, lovely.... :)

Bob

Taylor's...

Taylors.png

very interesting hardware/surplus style store, right on the highway, normal OLD TIME trading hours... :)

It was for sale a while back so it might pay to ring 'em first to see if bikes are still there.

Bob

How about a Cycles Peugeot forum? :) I have had a longer connection with the Peugeot bikes than the cars.
I bought my first Peugeot bike when I was about 11. I loved that bike, and it gave me a connection to the brand that I haven't quite been able to shake. Dad owning two 404s probably helped, but the fondness for Peugeot bicycles is pretty strong. I still own my 1989 Mont Blanc I bought new and also three other Peugeot bikes (a circa 2010 urban bike, an unused Centenary Edition MTB and a spare Mont Blanc for parts). Storage and maintenance for the bikes is much easier than the cars...

well then, before this thread is stolen by the treadlies mob....

2Indians-1.jpg

a favourite family image... :)

Original by Leo Thornton [my g'dad], about 1929-30 at his parent’s house in Kennewell St, White Hills [near Bendigo]

Subject is his son, John Thornton [my late father], and an Indian Scout motorcycle.

Camera was a Kodak Pony Premo 1, manufactured between 1904 and 1912. The lens is an unbranded 6" f4, but is believed to be a Rapid Rectilinear, probably by Baush & Lomb. It has a single speed shutter and the usual T B & I settings. This camera uses 4"x5" glass plates in standard timber framed double dark slides or a “Premo film pack adapter” for the more modern cut film.

The camera, at over 100 years old, is still operational and weighs in at a mere 835 grams, ready to go.

The original glass plate of the subject was scanned on an Epson Perfection 4870 at 600dpi.

The motorcycle dates from the early 1920's and was rebuilt by Leo from the ground up. It was rebored, the frame was repainted in the original maroon and he also redid the "Indian" signwriting as original. Lighting was carbide system and there was no battery, ignition being by magneto. A box under seat, where battery would live on modern bike, held the carbide powder, producing acetylene in a little generator with a screw controlled water drip. The shiny item on the tank is the speedo. The bike was equipped with a Dusting side car which was only fitted when there was a load or people to transport, a normal family vehicle of the time.

OK, so the bike is gone, but I still have the old camera and the original glass negative.... :)

Bob

I do have a few mostly older motorcycles, none American, but wouldn't mind a 50's Harley or Indian. Thinking I should get down to 6, just don't know what to sell. I had 12 so am working my way down. I have a '37 Rudge Special , '38 BMW R71, '51 BMW R51/3, '68 BMW R60/2, '72 Suzuki T500, '76 Yamaha XT500, '76 BMW R90S, '82 Honda CX500, '09 Suzuki SV650S. Probably the next old bike will be a 60's or 70's Moto Guzzi. Sort of an Italian BMW.

My favourite bike is the R60/2. Not fast or great handling, just a beautifully engineered machine. I recently sold a '70 Triumph Bonneville I restored, that I had owned for 18 years, that was like a Tonka toy compared to the BMW. The SV650S I have had from near new, simply a great handling, reasonably quick, economical, and totally reliable bike. Even the battery lasted for 9 years.

But really I think the world is well enough served by other vintage/classic motorcycle clubs and forums, to not need another being added to Aussiefrogs.
Any war time BMW bikes around here? Saharian or the like? Zundapp?

I think it prudent to mention that Peugeot is the oldest continually producing motorcycle manufacturer in the world.

Dave

Taylor's...

View attachment 135162

very interesting hardware/surplus style store, right on the highway, normal OLD TIME trading hours... :)

It was for sale a while back so it might pay to ring 'em first to see if bikes are still there.

Bob
Always a place to visit in those long gone times when we were allowed to travel and almost in forum member Roger W's back yard. Found some good hardware and antiques there, and viewed the motor cycles of course Bob.
Ken