Vintage motorbike forum

Here's one I snapped while on holiday... :wink2:

Pug Bike.jpg

Yeah I know that's not what you meant!

Any suggestions re an Aussiefrogs standard vintage motorbike forum ?
Hi :)
What part of this would be to do with French cars etc, I ask myself ??
But hey Stuey comes up with a Peugeot bike. Good one Stu !
Jaahn

I’m sure it would be entertaining- the various infighting between Norton, Triumph, & Harley riders etc would rival our own combatants

Peugeot was once known in Australia not for cars but motorcycles. They were well represented before the First World War and had racing success. They were regarded as the most advanced and capable bikes on the market. Peugeot engines and forks were also used by other locally produced bikes. The first motor vehicle to travel between Melbourne and Adelaide was a Peugeot motorcycle with forecar in 1903. Tariffs made them uneconomic and their market position was lost by 1920. They were reintroduced in 1939 and the last shipment was 1940.
Hi Russell :)
My problem with this trivia is that most French cars I like were around when I was. I remember them, and I also owned a lot and also rode in a lot too. A friend of my farther gave me some old car mags when he found out I was interested so I studied them for info. So that background piques my interest today and stimulates my memories, mostly good from when I was younger, or at the very least interesting times when we(I) did something silly, or heroic or ? and it was memorable for me.

Now as I have never seen a French motorbike, new or old, and as Russell points out they were a big thing BEFORE the first world war, and had a revival before the second world war but short lived, I did not experience them in any way. :( My young life was spent in a country town, so unusual cars were few and far between, but unusual bikes were unknown. But I would have seen any that were there I am sure. So seems a subject that I will let pass me by. Sorry. Vintage Jap bikes are of interest as I had a few and still do !! :)
Jaahn
PS as I understand it there will be no untoward comments from Harley owners, they are often not really literate. :)

Old Harleys (i.e. '74 Iron Head), vibrate the crap out of you, leak oil like a sieve, send you deaf, but once ridden never forgotten. Almost like my first 404. Ha Ha

I do have a few mostly older motorcycles, none American, but wouldn't mind a 50's Harley or Indian. Thinking I should get down to 6, just don't know what to sell. I had 12 so am working my way down. I have a '37 Rudge Special , '38 BMW R71, '51 BMW R51/3, '68 BMW R60/2, '72 Suzuki T500, '76 Yamaha XT500, '76 BMW R90S, '82 Honda CX500, '09 Suzuki SV650S. Probably the next old bike will be a 60's or 70's Moto Guzzi. Sort of an Italian BMW.

My favourite bike is the R60/2. Not fast or great handling, just a beautifully engineered machine. I recently sold a '70 Triumph Bonneville I restored, that I had owned for 18 years, that was like a Tonka toy compared to the BMW. The SV650S I have had from near new, simply a great handling, reasonably quick, economical, and totally reliable bike. Even the battery lasted for 9 years.

But really I think the world is well enough served by other vintage/classic motorcycle clubs and forums, to not need another being added to Aussiefrogs.

I read the original post as he was looking for a recommendation from us on AF for a motorbike forum that was the standard/quality of the AF forum :confused:

Yes, that's exactly how I read it too!

Yes, I obviously didn’t read it, but looked at the replies and went from there. I
I find that the various good forums are one make or one era of one make.

You can find a lot of bikes like that if you will actually look for them, not only asking on forums. I like to think about bikes, especially retro ones, like about my pals, about my mates that has always been near me with a good advice. There are truth in these words, actually, because a retro bike has seen a lot of things in its life, and I don’t really think that there are somebody here that could say that it’s not true. Even those bikes that you rent for a weekend or a trip, from scooter rental for example, even those has a story to tell, and believe me, that story will be more interesting that a Lamborghini story.

Last edited:
After more than a century so much gets forgotten. E.W. Brown and Harry Perry winning races on their Peugeots with the exceptional front fork design, being able to go down Elizabeth St and find Brown's showroom filled with Peugeots motor bikes, the Peugeot bike dealerships in Camperdown and Ballarat, the rather naive scheme to avoid duty that ended in court and scandal. Bit like that with the pre-war cars too.

Still waiting for the itialian car section on the forum so why not vintage motorcycles and scooters as well
😇😇🤫🤫

Very clever,
Moto becane 3 cylinder.jpg
Moto maxresdefault.jpg
MOTOBÉCANE

500 Injection - 1974

Too far ahead of its time

Faced with an onslaught from the Japanese factories in the Seventies, the only way for European manufacturers to survive seemed to be to produce technically-advanced, original machines. Following this reasoning, in 1973 Eric Jaulmes, technical director of the French Motobécane company (assisted by his son Christian) developed a system of semi-direct fuel injection for the firm's 350cc triple.

Injection Purge

At the time this was a unique installation on a two-stroke; today it represents the direction that this type of engine must take to assure its future not only does fuel injection increase power, as on a four-stroke, but it reduces fuel consumption and pollution, thanks to a purge of clean air.

Photoelectric Cell

The originality of the Motobécane system lay in the use of a photoelectric cell with a disc of varying opacity in its field of vision to control the volume of fuel injected. The angular position of the disc and the radial position of the photoelectric cell were controlled by the speed and load demands of the engine; the fuel injectors were specially engineered by Bosch to minimize throttle lag. This revolutionary form of fuel injection never reached the market, however, since the poor sales of the 350 led to its withdrawal before this amazing system, 20 years ahead of its time, could be put into production.

SPECIFICATIONS

Engine: 500cc three-cylinder two-stroke

Power Rating: 40+ hp

Valves: two-stroke

Fuel System: Bosch "opto-electronic" fuel injection

Transmission: 5-speed

Suspension: (from) telescopic forks; (rear) swinging arm

Brakes: (front) disk; (rear) drum

Wheels: 18 in wire

Weight: 400 lb

Maximum Speed: 100 mph