Vince's ongoing DS23...

You guys all know that I'm a slack as B'stard - full of good intentions and verve. Until I face the realities of being organised enough to put something readable and vaguely interesting together. Having said that - major progress has occurred and GJ is now at the Guru's Office (AutoFrance in Waiau Pa) for final checks, balancing, adjustments, fixes and hopefully a Warrant Of Fitness. I've kept the registration alive so I don't have to go through all that engineering compliance bull.

Here is a wee low quality clip of GJ being driven to the venue. In the immediate hours prior, the tappets were finely adjusted and the exhaust welded - including a blown out seam on the main muffler (!). I'm following in my trusty modern Pug (it has an airbag), handholding a small camera. I do not recommend doing this. But I'm a professional.

DRIVE TO THE WOF MAN (short video) best viewing is in the youtube miniplayer.

Last edited:
NZ would be awesome for driving a D! You lucky lucky.... Had a good chuckle when Splut Unz came up on the radio eh.

Magnificent effort, well done. Congrats!

Ladies, Gentlemen and Budge,

I have to confess that I have been keeping a secret from the world, because of reasons. This secret I will reveal here even though I haven't quite reached the desired state of readiness I intended before doing so.

I now have a registered and road warranted DS23bvh Pallas ripping up the pavement and terrorising the local Audis. And Teslas.

Current and recent photos have yet to be taken and I will post them here when the right day arrives - the weather has been shite. Although the car was always intended to be a driving car unafraid of any condition, who the hell wants to be taking photos in the persistent rain and opening doors?? Not me. The irony is that today is brilliant, but I've a "Man, Do" list that kicks off at 9am sharp with hedge trimming and whatever else the Management dreams up. Maybe this afternoon I'll get a chance. However, I digress.

I've completed 300 kms of the run-in so far without major issue and have identified a couple of minor rattles that will be made right. The new engine pulls in 4th going over the harbour bridge and sits happily on 3000 rpm and 120, no 105, no 115, no 90,.. well fast enough to get a ticket if I don't control myself. I am thinking of installing a GPS speedo for consistency. No, not in the dash.

Luckily the local council (in their city planning wisdom) have have a long stretch of nearby road into a judder bar adventure playground. Seriously, 2 parallel streets about a kilometer long, with judder bars every 40 meters. So my suspension is getting a proper daily workout too!

I also hope to provide a list of suppliers I used and shout-outs to people who helped me on this journey. It has been emotional.

Here is a teaser photo. I have only one headrest installed and the wheels are actually gris rose. It also hasn't had a clean as it is booked in for a professional working over in the next week.

GJ on Street 13Mar2021 smaller.jpg

Ladies, Gentlemen and Budge,

I have to confess that I have been keeping a secret from the world, because of reasons. This secret I will reveal here even though I haven't quite reached the desired state of readiness I intended before doing so.

I now have a registered and road warranted DS23bvh Pallas ripping up the pavement and terrorising the local Audis. And Teslas.

Current and recent photos have yet to be taken and I will post them here when the right day arrives - the weather has been shite. Although the car was always intended to be a driving car unafraid of any condition, who the hell wants to be taking photos in the persistent rain and opening doors?? Not me. The irony is that today is brilliant, but I've a "Man, Do" list that kicks off at 9am sharp with hedge trimming and whatever else the Management dreams up. Maybe this afternoon I'll get a chance. However, I digress.

I've completed 300 kms of the run-in so far without major issue and have identified a couple of minor rattles that will be made right. The new engine pulls in 4th going over the harbour bridge and sits happily on 3000 rpm and 120, no 105, no 115, no 90,.. well fast enough to get a ticket if I don't control myself. I am thinking of installing a GPS speedo for consistency. No, not in the dash.

Luckily the local council (in their city planning wisdom) have have a long stretch of nearby road into a judder bar adventure playground. Seriously, 2 parallel streets about a kilometer long, with judder bars every 40 meters. So my suspension is getting a proper daily workout too!

I also hope to provide a list of suppliers I used and shout-outs to people who helped me on this journey. It has been emotional.

Here is a teaser photo. I have only one headrest installed and the wheels are actually gris rose. It also hasn't had a clean as it is booked in for a professional working over in the next week.

View attachment 131209
Well done. There is pride in getting to the finish line. Like you mine is used regularly and is a reliable car that always makes me feel happy. Enjoy

Congratulations ! It really is the only colour for a DS, but then Im biased ...
Ramon

Thank you guys. It has been suggested to me that I do a write up of the whole thing. I would like to as it is a bit of a saga that has a few twists and turns but I really wonder if anyone does actually want to read it. The pictures will come first I think. A growling developed today that is in cadence with the revs. It sounds as if it is coming from behind the instrument cluster so I'm hoping it is just a cable that needs a slight adjustment and not a dodgy engine mount.

Isn't life a bloody adventure! My plans were to use Easter as the perfect opportunity to do a first long foray out into the world beyond Auckland. 1500 kms round trip. The opportunity to do that 'Debut Photoshoot' as well to tease you all with - video intended as well.

The car has been running brilliantly well, the gearchange has been finely adjusted and I was getting used to it's finer points of use, so all was looking well for the trip. But then on a commitment to pick up a relative from the airport on Easter Eve I got trapped in the peak traffic - start/crawl a metre/stop/ for 90 minutes.. I am so glad that I had 3 litres of blood in my bootkit. I have yet to have the actual source of the fault diagnosed but I'm guessing that the clutch engagement device was struggling as it went out of adjustment somewhat even with a full tank. I got home just as the hydraulic warning light came on for the second time. Off soon to the local auto store to see if they have any LHM in stock. Bugger. Stay tuned for more adventures...

You may also find that the gearchange speed regulator on top of the gear selector is gummed up. It acts as a viscosity compensator to keep the bvh system working properly as the lhm changes viscosity with temperature.

Losing 3 litres of LHM is a fairly significant leak. You’d smell the evaporating LHM from a CRC that is leaking that much and possibly get smoke as it drips onto the exhaust manifold. If the drip tray under the CRC is soaked then think carefully about driving the car. That’s how mine got toasted

Thanks Faulksy, The gear selector unit was a recently reconditioned unit that should still be okay (I hope) and not on the correct side for the leak. I have identified the general leak as coming from the inlet side of the engine and approximately localised to below the engagement device general area. I don't think it is the engagement device though. I'm due for anther look now that I've regained some equilibrium and hope to narrow it down. I'm hoping I get to see a dislodged return hose or pipe joint. something relatively simple ha ha ha ha.