Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Kenfuego

VIP Paid Subscriber
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
There was a recent article in the papers and on the internet where the ACCC was claiming that Queensland motorists were being ripped off.

I wonder what the effect of that announcement has been on our Queensland Aussie Froggers.

I have been mainly observing the Diesel pump prices in Melbourne and country areas.

Shell earlier in the year was consistently trying to boost the price of Diesel and BP seemed to be the cheapest but I noticed that around Melbourne Shell have recently dropped Diesel pricing to what seemed a standard for Melbourne

on 29/09/2017 Shell Moorabbin was selling Diesel at 126.9 a litre and it cost me $63.02 to fill the Megane with 49.66 litres.

Later in mid October Shell Strathmerton was selling Diesel at 116.9 a litre and it cost me $42.57 to fill the tank with 36.40 litres.

At the same time I noticed they had ULP posted at 123.9 and 98 RON at 143.9 Diesel 116.9

I have seen ULP at Lower prices in Melbourne, but who buys ULP these days? They seem to use ULP as a come on price when it is much lower than the Diesel Price..

I later bought APCO Diesel at the same 116.9 price in Bendigo, but other brands were higher. and Melbourne seems stuck on the 126.9 or higher consistent pricing.

How does that compare for our Queensland drivers on the Forum ?, and has the ACCC announcement made any noticeable price difference?

Ken:)

Thanks Ken, I always buy my Diesel from the same independent servo usually around 119 to 121.9 as all the big name servo's do the same and advertise the low price ULP and continue to have diesel between the 126 to 132 as I drove past today.
I make most of a full tank and get approx 1000km of mixed urban and highway driving so only filling once every 10days or longer. Sèe what others have noticed.
Dimi

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Last edited:
I would be hard to argue with the ACCC finding that Queenslanders were being ripped-off on petrol.
If they have found this to be the case, why don't they do something about it.
That is their job isn't it or have they had their bollocks cut off by tame governments and all they can do now is tell people they're being touched-up.

It's hard to compare prices when they're changing not only daily but seemingly a couple of times a day.
There could be a change of 10 cents or more during the course of a day.

The cheapest I've paid recently was in mid-July of around $1.15/ltr (95RON) but two weeks later at the same servo it was $1.45/ltr.
Last fill about 10 days ago was about $1.60/ltr for 98RON.
I fill up when my tanks empty, I don't top-up if I see cheap petrol.
Queensland used to have the cheapest petrol in the country once but now it's either the dearest or in the top two.

One thing that I've noticed is the number of new filling stations going up.
There are three new servos on a four kilometre stretch near my work.
All were independents, not Shell/BP/Caltex outlets.
Must be money to be made in pumping petrol.
Of course they all have the convenience store attached and the obligatory coffee shop but only desperados (or cab drivers at 2AM) would buy anything from the shop so they have to turn a profit from petrol.

Cheers
RTT

My PULP is currently the E10/95 green handle (not the yellow 95 PULP one) @United - sub 1.20 and some places even sub 1.10.
No difference in economy and book approved.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Ps - it’s my understanding that the French owners of the Shell brand are prioritising Avtur and bitumen......in such a price sensitive market their retail outlets must be struggling.

If they have found this to be the case, why don't they do something about it.
That is their job isn't it or have they had their bollocks cut off by tame governments and all they can do now is tell people they're being touched-up.
Cheers
RTT

Hi,
What do you reckon the ACCC should do?

Regards,
John.

I guess you should state what you think the ACCC should do?

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken
Why?
Personally, I find it helpful to ask other people's opinions as part of working out what I think. Don't you?

Regards,
John

My PULP is currently the E10/95 green handle (not the yellow 95 PULP one) @United - sub 1.20 and some places even sub 1.10.
No difference in economy and book approved.

Ps - it’s my understanding that the French owners of the Shell brand are prioritising Avtur and bitumen......in such a price sensitive market their retail outlets must be struggling.

As far as I, the UK and Holland are concerned Royal Dutch Shell seems to be an Anglo-Dutch company which owns Shell Australia.

Hi Kim,
I think the poster is referring to Vitol, which bought the Shell branded businesses in Australia a few years back, though it seems hard to know who really owns it.

Regards,
John

I confirm the assets of Shell Australia were sold to Vitol in 2014, Vitol is also a Dutch company. Shell retained their Aviation business.

Curiosity as to how Queensland motorists view the national ACCC publicity ?

I see that in August there was an apparently re-hashed set of controls proposed by the Queensland Government to kick in from February 2018.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...to-lower-qld-fuel-prices-20170805-gxq2tq.html

Doesn't seem like the ACCC or the Government legislative action in February 2018 is producing any discernible effect for long suffering motorists in Queensland!!.

Is it receiving much publicity in the local media at grass roots level?

Is there a viable alternative discount fuel source ?, as that seems to ensure some competitive price response in Victoria.

Certainly seems to have temporarily stopped SHELL as the leader in pushing for an out-of-sync higher Diesel price and now settling down to be more competitive. Competition seems to be the key.

Perhaps our other Queensland froggers can show light on those questions.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken
Why?
Personally, I find it helpful to ask other people's opinions as part of working out what I think. Don't you?

Regards,
John

My father was a Dutchman, so I look in the mirror and ask myself what I think. Radical, I know.

John

I

Doesn't seem like the ACCC or the Government legislative action in February 2018 is producing any discernible effect for long suffering motorists in Queensland!!.
Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,
I think the reason the legislative action isn't producing any discernbile effect for long suffering motorists in Queensland, is that it isn't February 2018 yet, so the law hasn't started yet. There could be other factors, but I reckon that is it.

Regards,
John

Is this a get in a price rise before the drop overseas forces market response?

Did anyone else catch the Friday night announcement that World crude oil prices were dropping? I know that in Melbourne none of the retail oil companies heard that apparently, as this weekend when we drove out of Melbourne along Bell Street, Shell had diesel prices at 139.9 and ULP at 144.9:eek: and the rest close to that as well.

We decided to wait and see what Bendigo had to offer!!, Bit of a mixed bag with prices all over the shop..:crazy: anyway we were able to purchase Diesel at 116.9 a litre so filled the Megane tank with 40 litres plus at $46.90 with $4.26 GST in that price, so not too bad for about two weeks running around since the last fill.

ULP at the same outlet was 121.9 and that is still pretty high when you consider no one seems to buy ULP anymore E10 at 119.7 was also above the Diesel price of 116.9 and LP Gas was 69.9 and that seems a bit high too, but then there is a lot of Federal pollies pushing and prodding at the domestic Gas price that is higher than we land it in places like Japan (For a variety of reasons)

I wonder how long it will take for overseas oil to drop and that decrease in price hit our pumps. If I get a round tuit I might take a look at that factor in depth IF Diesel prices rise domestically.:cry:

You really do have to keep a close watch on who is leading the prices up and the companies that resist or lower the prices in real competition, and making volume sales at these times. IMHO!

Anyone else see large price changes in their fuel up or down this 21st of October 2017?

Ken

Don’t forget to factor in the recent indication of a gradual decline in the $A v $US.......exporters want it down to 65c !

Hi,
I don't reckon anyone is in a position to announce that world crude prices are going up or down, especially down. The producers can't even make it go up when they want to, and no large group wants it go down. Like Nagaman was getting at, I found a graph of crude converted to Australian Dollars. Turns out it has been going up for months and this very day is the highest it has been for about 6 months. So not sure why anyone would be saying it was going down.

Regards,
John

Obsrvation of movement in prices and any real competition in pricing is the key!

Don’t forget to factor in the recent indication of a gradual decline in the $A v $US.......exporters want it down to 65c !

You are probably right in that, however one needs to steer away from industry sources, as they have a vested interest in higher everything and much is made to order propaganda, or compiled with rose coloured glasses.:confused:

Best trend evaluation is by observation of local prices and trends and then comparisons, between different locations, across Australia, preferably roughly at the same time period, as much of the manipulation of prices is in the creation of confusion generated among motorists by differing types of fuel. The most commonly quoted price is ULP 91 Ron when a decreasing number of motorists buy that grade of fuel. Vintage car people of course still do, but then there is special ?? grades premium and the price difference is the key to compare apples with apples. the industry likes to say there is real competition but in reality that seems much less today unless motorists are determined to get a bargain and shop around - most just fill and accept the price as most service stations maintain a similar pricing range.

There of course are people that have to buy fuel and cannot afford it as wages have become pretty stagnant except for elite millionaires like some of our privileged politicians!! :wink2:

Ken.

Hi Ken,
I don't know about trends in petrol prices, but Nagaman and me were just commenting about the international price of crude. That has been going up in every currency, and quite a bit in Australian Dollars. You don't need industry sources to see that.

Regards,
John

Hi,
It appears that the price of fuel has jumped very recently here in Newcastle. I went to get some 95 and was astonished to see prices of 160+ . However on Fuel watch the best price today is 148 near me. That is at independents.
Shell service stations here seem intent on driving customers away with their prices. 160 on fuel watch. However the Coles ones can offer up to 20c a liter off with silly offers. So they rip off other customers 20c.:(
Jaahn