Vanderbilt at Pebble Beach 2017 !!!

Not Vanderbilt but interesting none the less. I don't know what it is but it has the correct logo to be on Montlhery.

h.jpg

The front of the Renault 40cv had similar high, angular lines. The rear of this modified record breaker version is quite different.

renault-40-cv-records-83776.jpg

Google translation "From the first months following its inauguration, the Autodrome was the scene of many exploits: speed records fell, whether by car, motorcycle or even bicycle. In 1926, a modified Renault 40 CV broke the 24-hour record by covering 4,167.57 km at an average speed of 173.6 km/h."

From

The front of the Renault 40cv had similar high, angular lines. The rear of this modified record breaker version is quite different.

View attachment 224547

Google translation "From the first months following its inauguration, the Autodrome was the scene of many exploits: speed records fell, whether by car, motorcycle or even bicycle. In 1926, a modified Renault 40 CV broke the 24-hour record by covering 4,167.57 km at an average speed of 173.6 km/h."

From

It's the tyres that get me about those early records. Still, they seemed to last well enough. Good Vietnamese rubber no doubt!
40 CH record breaker engine sml.jpg

That engine looks like it should be a project build for Master G now that he has forging and machining mastered:worship::worship::worship::worship:
It sounds pretty good too. A deep roar. I imagine most power is 2,000-3,000 rpm. Their 8-cylinder one, also a side-valve, sounds surprisingly modern in comparison.

It sounds pretty good too. A deep roar. I imagine most power is 2,000-3,000 rpm. Their 8-cylinder one, also a side-valve, sounds surprisingly modern in comparison.
It has just occurred to me that this 1920s engine has a fixed head. The cylinder/head casting is bolted to the crankcase as one unit. The brass plugs in the top of the head are where the valves are inserted. It looks like a fairly short stroke too which is why it sounds like a modern engine. There are numerous videos of these cars at full noise available. :unsure:

ed.png

It has just occurred to me that this 1920s engine has a fixed head. The cylinder/head casting is bolted to the crankcase as one unit. The brass plugs in the top of the head are where the valves are inserted. It looks like a fairly short stroke too which is why it sounds like a modern engine. There are numerous videos of these cars at full noise available. :unsure:

View attachment 224574
I wondered what the brass plugs were! Valve AND seat assemblies I imagine. I read once that to remove a valve from a Bugatti Type 35 you really start by removing the rear axle. Imagine..........