Valve springs for a 1.4 R12 motor

Leigh Wilson

Fellow Frogger
I have a new head to fit to my R12 1.4 engined R10.

Along time ago in the early 70's I used to rally a Dauphine re-spec'd with R10 everything. The engine was well worked (45mph in 1st, 60mph in 2nd, 80mph in 3rd and 110 mph in 4th (down hill).

The point you ask over the nostalgia? Mid-life crisis? Ah yes! But those WERE the days!

It was fitted with heavy duty double valve springs. Is anything like that available for the R12 1.4 engine head? My local engine modifiers know of nothing.

Any suggestions please?

Hi leigh,
Dave C at French Connection can possibly help,
I don't know the 1.4 motor if they come with double springs, a good Head shop should have the lists of springs giving i/d, o/d, height and wire diameter and be able to match up for what you need in a larger wire diameter, though would most likely require the head to check clearances etc.

As the size of the 1.4 valve springs are small, perhaps a replacement motorcycle spring from the Kawasaki GPZ 900 or something similar in age and size. Also I believe Mini Cooper S springs will work.
Alan.

Hi Leigh,
Welcome to the forum!! Young Kristopher had everything necessary (you may recall) to ensure warp speed from his R10. I seem to recall that Colliers supplied the necessary valve spring modifications, along with the cam profile (via Waggots). I also recall that Cooper S springs could be fitted as a supplement to standard R10 head springs.

You need to be sure that you do not go to too heavy a set up, as push rods may bend, and or any weaknesses in the case hardening of the cam lobes will also show up.

Kris had his cam shaft treated, as well as the the cam tunnel, which had roller bearings fitted.

Cheers,
Kim.