Vale barryg - Barry Gauke

I was fortunate to be able to attend Barry's funeral today.
there were lots of people there, so many in fact that many had to stand outside the chapel.
Particularly impressive to me was the eulogy dilivered by his eldest son, who at the begining was struggling with the emotion of it but was supported by his brother who got up and stood beside him until the end.
From where I stood I'd have to say that Barry was fortunate to have a family like this one.

I have just returned home from the funeral. A large turn out to farewell a man that obviously loved and cared for his family and friends.

Reference was made numerous times to his sense of humour - I think it was described as The Goons, Monty Python and The Young Ones in a blender - that's about right.

French cars also received a mention, particularly when Barry saw the light years ago and moved his allegiance from Peugeot to Citroen.

Eldest son Lachlan did a sterling job. One of the most difficult challenges in life - delivering a eulogy at a parent's funeral. Especially when the parent passed away far too young.

After the service the Cit Club members there all agreed that "having heard all that I wished I had known him better". But then that is life - we all see each other in a different context and rarely get to know the full scope of a person's life and their impact on others.

Farewell Barry.

Did Barry just recently downsize, sell off some of his fleet? A White BX in pretty nice condition? I'm fairly sure exchanged some emails with Barry. Like others here mentioned you'd never have guessed anything was amiss. If they were his cars hope they've gone onto good homes.

Sincere condolences to Barry's family.

I think that BX went to gsmack and she is currently getting it back on the road.

Barry's family have seen this thread and appreciate the kind comments.

Thanks for all the kind words from the AussieFroggers. Barry was my brother and I will miss him enormously. I find comfort in all the good things you have mentioned in your tributes, it has unveiled a whole new side of Barry that I was not even aware of.

Thank You.
Richard.

Last edited:
I have to add a footnote to this thread.

Recently, my GPS has been misbehaving. It suddenly starts trying to send you somewhere else altogether. I don't actually know why, and hadn't any clear idea about where it was trying to send me, other than it incessantly wanted me to turn around.

However - today I had another AF member with me (actually, I was in their car) and we were relying on the GPS. Just as I was explaining how it lost the plot regularly, the same behaviour commenced. In a moment of inspiration, I zoomed out to show the new destination chosen for me.

No kidding, it was Barry's house - somehow extracted from the list of Favourites. The location matched with other episodes of attempted misdirection, too.

Reckon Barry would have had a chuckle at this happening; plenty for he and Ken to spar over...

Regards, Adam.

Remembering Barry.

One day Barry advertised his engine hoist at a not to be repeated price....free.

Being the type of shameless collector of free or damn cheap stuff, i got in first and within a few minutes had bags'd the crane.:approve:

A few days later, I went over there, met the man, his wife and kids and over a cupper or two talked cars/music/kids stuff and the usual cuppa chat.

When were alone loading it up, he said, with an amount of awkwardness, that he'd like it to be an aussiefrogs engine crane, but then realised what he was asking and sort of stopped a little short.

I dismissed his concerns straight away and said I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind lending a big tool like this (or people dont mind asking) so dont give it another thought. The conversation quickly moved on.

Stupid me, I didn't realise what he was asking. I didn't even know he was sick and thought he was just de junking. He was of course, but not for the reasons i'd thought of.

I still remember that day with a slight feeling of regret the way I quickly moved the conversation onwards, as i feel now he had more stuff to tell me, but the moment left us. :confused:

Moving to to the present, I needed to take the motor I'm working on off the motor stand to take the flywheel off, so I hung it off the crane, and pottered around with the new mobility.

That night I'd had a few to drink and couldn't be bothered re attatching it to the engine stand, and told Barry to keep an eye on the donk and keep the ram from dropping overnight.

2 weeks later, and every morning I open my shed with a jubilant cry "Barry, you bloody ripper" as i see my donk exactly where I left it, suspended above the ground with not the slightest leak from the ram.

I think this is what Barry wanted and tried to tell me that day, something to remember him by.
I always will. :cheers:
Jo

One day Barry advertised his engine hoist at a not to be repeated price....free.

Being the type of shameless collector of free or damn cheap stuff, i got in first and within a few minutes had bags'd the crane.:approve:

A few days later, I went over there, met the man, his wife and kids and over a cupper or two talked cars/music/kids stuff and the usual cuppa chat.

When were alone loading it up, he said, with an amount of awkwardness, that he'd like it to be an aussiefrogs engine crane, but then realised what he was asking and sort of stopped a little short.

I dismissed his concerns straight away and said I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind lending a big tool like this (or people dont mind asking) so dont give it another thought. The conversation quickly moved on.

Stupid me, I didn't realise what he was asking. I didn't even know he was sick and thought he was just de junking. He was of course, but not for the reasons i'd thought of.

I still remember that day with a slight feeling of regret the way I quickly moved the conversation onwards, as i feel now he had more stuff to tell me, but the moment left us. :confused:

Moving to to the present, I needed to take the motor I'm working on off the motor stand to take the flywheel off, so I hung it off the crane, and pottered around with the new mobility.

That night I'd had a few to drink and couldn't be bothered re attatching it to the engine stand, and told Barry to keep an eye on the donk and keep the ram from dropping overnight.

2 weeks later, and every morning I open my shed with a jubilant cry "Barry, you bloody ripper" as i see my donk exactly where I left it, suspended above the ground with not the slightest leak from the ram.

I think this is what Barry wanted and tried to tell me that day, something to remember him by.
I always will. :cheers:
Jo
That was really nicely expressed, Jo.