V8 505

Sorry Double Chevron, I have a NA v8 project on at the moment. The boosted engine is 2.2 505 engine in my 404.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Sorry Double Chevron, I have a NA v8 project on at the moment. The boosted engine is 2.2 505 engine in my 404.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

why not buy a cheap commonbore and move an all alloy LS series engine and 6spd gearbox sideways to the 505. They are readily available in utes (that are usually banana shaped from being wrapped around lights, posts, trees, gardens, roads barriers .... or anything you can skid backwards into ).

Quite a few reasons really. I am doing a C4 Corvette with this idea. It is very difficult to do just with the size of the Engine and trans. And I can tell you the LS block is light and so are the heads but no where near the lightness in the last Rover pushrod. The LS and 4L60 are very big compared to the D48 engine and BW 65. Have a look at the donor car build I did. Looks like it is supposed to be in there. Also the starter on the LS is on the drivers side. So is the Rover, but with less bulk. I have the engine within 25mm to the left of the vehicle centre line. If you have a chance, look at the act of desperation, HSV did to fit ex pipes past the power steer valve and starter in a VT, you can see my quandary. The 505 is smaller than a VT as well.
It started with a 4.6 , 4 bolt main engine I was involved with. Holley, points dist in a Rover P6B. The torque we got from that, let the 1100kg car do 140 mph at 6000 rpm at Lakeside. My engine is going to 6700, with full engine management and much more cylinder head development. The goal is the balance and poise of the best 505 touring car. Perhaps around 1100 to 1200kg plus my modest frame and within 300 to 310 ft lb at
6000 rpm. Something to keep my brain ticking, really. Intake, Exhaust port speeds , Mapping the ECU. That sort of thing. Got myself a water brake Dyne to reseal and set up for this engine.

Last edited:
a 4.6 rover motor running boost ...................... and it still works :eek: :eek: Someone has spent some serious money on that motor at some point I'd say. It must have a top hat block and decent liners.... and a very aggressive camshaft compared to the one used for lugging around a 3ton 4wd along with whatever its towing.

Yeah I have spent some money and a lot of time. 20 plus hours each cylinder head and I am still putting them back together. Block is the very last BMW Rover V8 pushrod edition.

Oh thank you. I was trawling the internet seaching for DP on dropbox. No where did I find "dual purpose" for Dropbox!

I don't have time to spend learning by trial and error, a system to share my images, of my progress. I have much better things to do with my time. I need to rest and think about deleting the post. It isn't worth the effort.

I don't have time to spend learning by trial and error, a system to share my images, of my progress. I have much better things to do with my time. I need to rest and think about deleting the post. It isn't worth the effort.

With the greatest respect it's a case of "I haven't got time to sharpen this axe",

ie You don't have time not to master the skill set.

Any skill acquired , especially in matters IT, is worthwhile.

It is really not that hard and thousands of people far less skilled than yourself have successfully mastered using drop box.

I take it , the image folder within your DB folder on your PC has green circle with a tick on it: this indicates that the folder is synced to dropbox and ready to share.

Thus:
SYNCED.JPG

Try to follow step by step the "cheat sheet" I posted.

We have all been in similar situation where the first time takes forever and the it becomes much faster. You are right at the start of steep learning cure.

Last edited:
Fair enough Mate. It could be I need new prescriptions in my specs, too. I have time tomorrow to work out the DP and things. I think also the pC/laptops I was using do not have the RAM or hard drive to cope. My ipad or the ASUS will for sure.
Salutes and leaves Sar Major's office!

Fair enough Mate. It could be I need new prescriptions in my specs, too. I have time tomorrow to work out the DP and things. I think also the pC/laptops I was using do not have the RAM or hard drive to cope. My ipad or the ASUS will for sure.
Salutes and leaves Sar Major's office!

In your drop box folder you should have a pdf file named "Getting started.pdf" this contains all the information you need. It is created when you install the Drop box software.

Best of luck

Hope you can master the drop box folder Stew, as I am keen to see progress pictures.

Cheers
Andrew

I managed to send an email to myself to access my images on dropbox. So I guess that is progress ( but a huge waste of time to me)
Can I ask for guidance as to the supposed "Link"dropbox says it can make? All I get is a form asking for an email address!

Sounds to me that you possibly haven't set up the folder/ image to be shared items

If you don't set these to be shared DB assumes your are the only person authorized to view the image , and will prompt for credentials.

Try having a gander at this : the Getting Started guide -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwq52jggb4upi2l/Getting Started.pdf?dl=0

If you have successfully installed DB the getting Started guide should be in the DB folder, on your PC already.

Last edited:
I still think he's using the wrong motor .... :clown: .... All the effort for an old dinosaur doesn't seem right. I foudn this interesting ... the difference of a modern'ish motor (with probably twice the power and torque) versus the old dinosaur from Buick. Someone posted this a few days back on facebook.

My 93 RRC with me driving like normal to zealous chap, delivered the following unloaded, litres per 100, town/hwy:
3.9 rover v8 28/23
4.6 rover v8 33/23
5.7 LS1 v8 20/13
This is with 35” tyres, steel front and rear bars, winch etc

Does someone want to fit an LS1 to my old shitbox for me :evil: .... I'm guessing the hardest bit is stopping the rest of the driveline going "bang".

seeya,
Shane L.

Oh, so lovely to be judged by those who can't do, Shane L. Please don't dirty my little bit of sharing on here, with your knowledgeable input, again.
1 hr.

And now I find your Humour.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry Stew, but I imagine it's a similar issue to Dropbox - you have to share the photos or folders with everyone for us to see them.

I have both Dropbox and Google accounts, but have never used either to make photos public (ie. share with everyone). I haven't yet found a way of doing this with Google photos, but it does look possible with Dropbox. If this works, I'll document the process. Please excuse the non-Peugeot photo(s)

Bingo!

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
OK - I have a recipe that works for displaying individual photos that are hosted on Dropbox.

Right-click on the photo, and select "Share".

A pop-up box appears, labeled "Share". Go to the bottom RH corner and click on "Create link". (Ignore all the other stuff). You should now be able to paste the link into your post.

The bottom RH corner of the Dropbox popup window should now show "Link settings . Copy link". "Link settings" allows you to control things like whether or not other people can download a copy of your file. "Copy link" copies the link to your clipboard, ready for pasting.

Once you have the link pasted into your post, there's one more step. Delete the last 4 characters (always dl=0) and type in raw=1 after the '?'. Don't delete the '?', and make sure that no spaces sneak in.

Before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz5c3j87rz5ur7e/WCL_1908.JPG?dl=0

After:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz5c3j87rz5ur7e/WCL_1908.JPG?raw=1

Now if you put "
" after the link (without the rabbit ears) it will display in the post. {Thanks Shane}. Note - this only works with the raw=1 option.

Time to try a folder. Looks like it's the same process, but no editing required:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/65pm6x7j6gsd9ak/AAANP-9XacOuXYjIzOzjOrJVa?dl=0

Cheers

Alec

Last edited: