V8 505

stew

Fellow Frogger
Hello again, aussiefrogs.
I have been secretly working ( slowly) on a 1985 505 GTi, series 2. For me!
The idea is to build a 505 GT along the lines of the HDT /Brock Commodore of 1985. Being $165000 worth now, alas I will never own a real Brock VK.
However the Pug 505 is a far better stock choice than the 1985 Commodore ever was.
Surprisingly, 505 brakes as standard are within 1 or 2 mm of the race car for the road Holden. As standard.

The project came about after assisting a a few Rover V8 builds. The 48D engine is 4.6l, 4 bolt mains and ran a Bosch Motronic system called The Thor Engine. This was the last Rover Pushrod engine reworked by BMW before they fitted BMW engines to Rangies. The inlet manifold is a work of Teutonic mastery. Serpentine belt and very compact fitting of the ancillaries gives me air con, power steer, high output alternator as well as an engine under 100 kg heavier than the 2.2 l ZDJ/LE engine in the donor.

The last 4.6l runs in a P6 B Rover track car of around 1100 kg. Distributor on points, Holley carb. Runs at Lakeside 1 min 3 sec. 6100 rpm give 142 mph ( 227 mph) but it gets there very quickly.. I will load images to my album as this iPad is confusing me. me!
4809b558-6ba9-4dbf-94ad-714b7b2809eb

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2128[1].jpg
    IMG_2128[1].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,240
  • SAM_0981.jpg
    SAM_0981.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,238
haha, love the collection of unis that lost the fight!

Stew,
The 505 sounds like a good complement to the 404 .
would you like to share a photo of each with us please ?

is your renamed website back up ?

Colin

Hi Colin. I have no website. I have a backup of the images though. That broken yoke on the table was only the 2.2 in second gear and no boost. 404 sedan and 504 lsd rear axle.
I keep breaking things, Mad Pug Cousin, Colin.
I have found an Album I made to share with the V8 idea’s. I will sort out a web address or such once I understand what to do for our Aussiefrogs site.
I intend to run 2 x tail shaft support bearings in my reworked torque tube. Tomorrow should allow me to begin using a very late 505 sedan tail shaft to remachine and fit.
Series II 505 cluster is set for 8 cyl tachometer. 3.08 diff gears done in LSD.
Running with the Rover SD1 auto. A Borg Warner 65/66. ( larger BW 35 the 504/Falcon Taxi/ Ford V8 could use.) I have made the BW 65 end housing into a flanged output using a 503 BA7/4 gearbox end housing cut and then fitted onto and welded by an Airframe Welder to make the Pug torque tube match to the BW 65. BW 65 outer casings, are not the same as BW 35 , unfortunately. ( curses).

Last edited:
Time for a 9" diff, you will have no problems

I found 250 ft lb in third will destroy the bearing between input and main shaft, also tore a welded spigot off a tail shaft, bent the 404 torque tube as well. It has a lot of rear grip. 4" wider across the rear track, you see. I turned down boost to a max of 8 psi for 210 ft lb at 4000 rpm. It is just on the limit for the drivetrain. I could go auto and exposed big tailshaft and torque arm but that takes the sneaky old cruiser feel away.

Hi Robmac. I guess your post means mine linkink, she no workin? I am old, feeble and 4 eyed with dirty glasses. How might I get my piccies up in a betterer way?

Hi Robmac. I guess your post means mine linkink, she no workin? I am old, feeble and 4 eyed with dirty glasses. How might I get my piccies up in a betterer way?

I have two possible suggestions:

1) Try the copy/pasting the link to where your piccies currently reside (ie cut the info in your browser address bar, with the pictures currently displayed in your browser, if you have already done this try the next option.

2) Create a free drop box account. Once you do this the setup will create folder on your PC "dropbox". Anything you put into this folder will be hosted and synced on dropbox. You get choose what is shared. You can remove and add images at will. A word of warning it's prudent to keep original images in a different folder.

You can share individual piccies or an entire folder. The links to them reside on dropbox and they are with the images/ folders.

It harder to explain than actually use.

https://www.dropbox.com/register

Clear as mud! Shall dive in immediately.Me get box thing! Ok OK.

OK. Thanks man. I may try tomorrow to get my work onto the AF site. Seems to be wasting my time at the moment.
Ta

OK. Thanks man. I may try tomorrow to get my work onto the AF site. Seems to be wasting my time at the moment.
Ta

Time wasting is the very nature nature of computers and associated learning curve that goes with them.

AF's draconian file size limits are likely to be a limitation. And in view of the highly variable connection speed that AF experiences.

To preserve your sanity, I would persevere with drop box, spend some time reading the help pages and it become clear as mud in a beer bottle.

Mmmmmm Beerrrrr. Ok Ok

Hi Stew,

Presumably by this stage you have a "dropbox folder" on your PC and also have a folder within the DP folder with your images contained in it.

1)Right click the folder, within your DP folder, with your images in it on your pc

2)Select " share" new box opens

3)select link settings - check "anyone with link"

4) repeat step 1

5) select "copy dropbox link"

6) now navigate to AF and use paste to put the link onto AF

You should end posting with link similar to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3jighquuqkn7m3v/AABMaboxa_WCbzw-s6EV7gDPa?dl=0

a 4.6 rover motor running boost ...................... and it still works :eek: :eek: Someone has spent some serious money on that motor at some point I'd say. It must have a top hat block and decent liners.... and a very aggressive camshaft compared to the one used for lugging around a 3ton 4wd along with whatever its towing.