URGENT: SYDNEY // R12 caliper kit / front left caliper :S

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
So I had a shake down last night in prep for my father taking it for a spin on Saturday in the 6hr, and back in the pits smoke is pouring of the brake. It actually melted the paint on the bloody wheel

I check my wreck and the caliper (front left) is toast. I'm hoping I can rebuilt the one on the car.

Annoyingly, the front right gave up a couple of months ago but thankfully the wreck I have had a good caliper and I was back and going. Sadly the wreck is no good for the left.

Anyone in Sydney sitting on some rebuilt kits or a front left caliper I can pick up tomorrow morning? :S

Appears you may also have problems with fluid pressure not releasing in brake lines.
So toasting the caliper. Will happen again
Had issue with flex lines acting like a one way valve years ago :(

Appears you may also have problems with fluid pressure not releasing in brake lines.
So toasting the caliper. Will happen again
Had issue with flex lines acting like a one way valve years ago :(
Fluid pressure is not usually the cause in my experience. Generally anything I drive on the track has stainless lines, no rubber lines to cause any non return valve behaviour. The most common cause of smoke and rock solid pedal is the caliper seals deteriorating due to age or heat or both resulting in the seals sticking to the pistons. The piston then wont fully release the pads grip on the disc causing more heat, more grip on the disc and smoke.
Expect the brakes to be a problem in the 6 hr so therefore don't use them very much and try to feed fresh air to them with some ducting.
Also think about some harder, competition, enduro pads or plan to do a couple of pad changes. The harder pads will have a lower coefficient of friction which also means less heat generation as long as you don't hang onto the brakes too long in the braking areas.

Fluid pressure is not usually the cause in my experience. Generally anything I drive on the track has stainless lines, no rubber lines to cause any non return valve behaviour. The most common cause of smoke and rock solid pedal is the caliper seals deteriorating due to age or heat or both resulting in the seals sticking to the pistons. The piston then wont fully release the pads grip on the disc causing more heat, more grip on the disc and smoke.
Expect the brakes to be a problem in the 6 hr so therefore don't use them very much and try to feed fresh air to them with some ducting.
Also think about some harder, competition, enduro pads or plan to do a couple of pad changes. The harder pads will have a lower coefficient of friction which also means less heat generation as long as you don't hang onto the brakes too long in the braking areas.
The standard R12 brakes fade really easily, three large brake applications in short succession will cause these brakes to very heat very quickly.

In something like a 6 hour you are going to need to manage your brakes. Like Chri has pointed out about get some air ducted into the rotors. There are some convenient vents below the bumper on each side on the R12. Would be easy to screw a plumbing flange and get some flexible duct strapped to the suspension and aim at the out edge of the brake rotor.

I would guess that Bowie has a very long list of jobs to do before tomorrow and the time to do each one is over twice as long as expected. I hope its sorted enough for his dad to have some good laps in the car, who knows, it could make it to the finish.

Last edited:
So I had a shake down last night in prep for my father taking it for a spin on Saturday in the 6hr, and back in the pits smoke is pouring of the brake. It actually melted the paint on the bloody wheel

I check my wreck and the caliper (front left) is toast. I'm hoping I can rebuilt the one on the car.

Annoyingly, the front right gave up a couple of months ago but thankfully the wreck I have had a good caliper and I was back and going. Sadly the wreck is no good for the left.

Anyone in Sydney sitting on some rebuilt kits or a front left caliper I can pick up tomorrow morning? :Suppose that it is too late for your urgent requirement , however if you can tell me the size of the caliper seals , I may have the kits to suit.

Anyone in Sydney sitting on some rebuilt kits or a front left caliper I can pick up tomorrow morning? :S
May be too late for you , but if you can tell me the caliper seal size , I may be able to help with kits.

I would guess that Bowie has a very long list of jobs to do before tomorrow and the time to do each one is over twice as long as expected. I hope its sorted enough for his dad to have some good laps in the car, who knows, it could make it to the finish.
Twice as long, more like Thrice as long for I and my well meaning mate. A way to long boring write up can be found in the POS thread.

Despite us trying, we ended up in the Commodore. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous, that about sums up what we got up to :D

Thank you for offering Chris. We ended up with the 17 callipers installed, we have a fortnight to throw fresh kits at them because why not, along with sorting out a master and booster. I think I'm going to take everything to PnR Brakes. I'm still amazed at how they had terminals in stock and were happy to do them as we sat in the foyer. Very very cool.

Here's a shot of Dad about to go smash the daily driver from last night. I confess I felt better knowing he was in a car with airbags. Mum wouldn't have been cool if I returned him with scratches.

We worked out this was his first event since a Rally in 1972.

Bloody legend.

Attachments

• dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 83