Upgrading a 405 1.4 GL using a 306 S16 series 1 parts donor car

ThanosK

Fellow Frogger
As the title says. It sounds silly, parting out a newer, better car, in favor of an older car , but here is the back story: After more than a decade of great fun I parked in storage my bone stock, well cared for S16. It would have made more sense to sell it, but I couldn't get myself to do it. More than a decade later it is still there, and mice have gotten to the wiring harness. I put it out of my mind, until last week I noticed among the historic rally entries a 309 GTI 16v. RIGHT, IT NOW QUALIFIES AS A HISTORIC. OK, I just discovered my next rally car build :cool: . But they are super rare now, and the ones on auction are commanding crazy prices, upwards of $20k. I am looking at one now, in excellent condition (and a price in step with the condition), but with the prices increasing so rapidly it seems silly to sacrifice an all original, sought after classic. Looking through the classifieds for the 309, I saw a first hand, Mi16-look, 405 1.4 GL (in Greece it was badged GR hoping that nationalism would increase sales :) ). RIGHT, THE 405 Mi16 NOW QUALIFIES AS A HISTORIC AS WELL. So here is my thought: I will part out the S16 and use everything I to turn the 1.4 GL into an Mi16 rally car. Engine, gearbox, brakes, whatever fits. The plan to upgrade the engine to the maximum reliable power, and I am converting the gearbox to straight cut, close ratio, no synchros and an ATB-type LSD. Can I also swap the front and rear ends from the S16 into the 405? The 1.4 GL has rear drums, and they are not homologated for the Mi16. Please jump in with knowledge and suggestions, all will be gratefully accepted.

Nothing much from the 306, other than the engine and gearbox will fit the 405. Definitely use the XU10J4. Use a plate diff rather than ATB.

Thank you, Peter. I was hoping that the rear end from the S16 would fit because the 14 GL has rear drums. Anyway, we will figure something out or source a complete rear end from an Mi16.

I have a 405 Mi16 disc brake rear end, would cost a bit to send over though. You could buy my 309 GTi16 too, fully rally prepared, but needs repairs to valves and engine mount area on body, and it is RHD.

Hi Graham. Yes, freight is a killer these days. I think I have located one locally, thanks! In your opinion, how good the 405 can it be made for gravel? Any specific suggestions?

Why not do up the S16 for rally? Much less work, has everything you need in it already (and it fits) and it can't be worse than a 309? Or sell the S16 and finance purchasing a 309? Just curious. The 405 is a large car whichever way you're looking at it. That is not much help in rallying.

Hi Graham. Yes, freight is a killer these days. I think I have located one locally, thanks! In your opinion, how good the 405 can it be made for gravel? Any specific suggestions?
Very good, does need good underbody protection though. 205 was the last Peugeot with good ground clearance.

Why not do up the S16 for rally? Much less work, has everything you need in it already (and it fits) and it can't be worse than a 309? Or sell the S16 and finance purchasing a 309? Just curious. The 405 is a large car whichever way you're looking at it. That is not much help in rallying.
Size isn't a problem but the tail end does let go with a rush, not a problem I've had with the 205 and 309.

It is not qualify for historic.