Under body paint and primers

Cally404

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Hi guys it's early on in my project but I was wondering what everybody prefers for primer on bare metal and body seal/ paint for wheel arches etc. 2pac primers seem to be the thing lately but interested in everybodies views.

Thanks

For underbody:
On my last project I used a brush on bitumen membrane straight onto the clean bare metal. It was self levelling when brushed on and looked really authentic when it hardened, not too shiny and goes on nice and thick. The beauty of brushing it is you can get into tight corners with small brushes and achieve a thick coating to all parts including inside guards.. After 6 years it is still stuck on solid and looks the goods. I'll use it again on the next project without hesitation.

Ormonoid Bitumen Paint 4 Litre Black

I've always used Wurth Stone guard. An acrylic under body treatment. It is supplied in a cartridge that fits primer guns. Texture and thickness is determined by spray air pressure and distance. It sets to a very hard wearing texture finish and can be over painted. It Also reduces panel drumming.

EDIT
I should add, stone guard an aqueous product clean up is with water, There are no VOCs released during the application and no mask or PPE is required.

Last edited:
I used Dominator on the under body of the 404. It is a two pack polyurethane that produces something like the original finish. Like any product, the quality of finish is in the prep work.

1592437846551.png

if you ask around on any of the bodywork forums and groups. Epoxy primer is what all the pro's use. Its a 2pack product and you will need an air fed respirator in order to spray it.

For underbody:
On my last project I used a brush on bitumen membrane straight onto the clean bare metal. It was self levelling when brushed on and looked really authentic when it hardened, not too shiny and goes on nice and thick. The beauty of brushing it is you can get into tight corners with small brushes and achieve a thick coating to all parts including inside guards.. After 6 years it is still stuck on solid and looks the goods. I'll use it again on the next project without hesitation.

Ormonoid Bitumen Paint 4 Litre Black

Have just discovered that the Ormonoid product is no longer available in oil based version , they still make a water based version which according to tech expert at the manufacturer is compatible with the original turps based version. I also achieved a good result with the original oil based version , looks good and gives a very good sound proofing effect.

Hi guys it's early on in my project but I was wondering what everybody prefers for primer on bare metal and body seal/ paint for wheel arches etc. 2pac primers seem to be the thing lately but interested in everybodies views.

Thanks
I used KBS coatings paint on my Traction Avant (www.kbs-australia

Thanks
I used KBS coatings paint on my Traction Avant (www.kbs-australia.com.au) this is an Australian product - supposed to be the equal of ‘POR15’ from the USA. ItS a bit fiddly but goes on OK (3 step process), don’t know how it’ll hold up in the real world yet as the project’s not finished.
Regards Rob

We used POR 15 on Pugsley 6 years ago and it is holding up well, with "daily driver" use and for last 2 years a lot of dirt road driving.

One specific point that Rob, my guru, made was that POR is ideally applied immediately after blasting ( by whatever medium ) and that if done this way it sticks like shit to a blanket and will pretty much never come off. If applied to metal not cleaned to this standard it sticks pretty well and provides good protection but will ultimately start to peel

Best Wishes

Andrew