UN1 Gearbox Upgrade - New Close ratio components

12vFuego

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

I built my Fuego around the UN1 gearbox but after completing my project I have had many problems with the stripping of dog teeth on 1st/2nd gears due to the age (3 R25 UN1 boxes purchased so far), the wide gap in ratio between 1st and 2nd and the higher rpm demanded by my engine.

I have been searching for a solution for 2 years now as no new parts are available. Gear kits from the UK are between $5-8K AUD with either very short ratios or tall with strengthened one piece input shaft designed for high torque V8 applications (lotus, GT40).

Thanks to the help of a number of guys from the Lotus community I have been put in touch with a person at Albins in Victoria that is willing to help. They have made components in the past but drawings are old and it is very difficult to schedule one off production runs as they are busy dealing with far bigger jobs understandably.

I am sending my worn components to them next week from my UN1-03 box with the aim of reproducing a new (2 piece) input shaft featuring closer ratio 1st/2nd (3.00/2.00) and matching idler gears which will be a direct replacement for the standard box. The cost for this is a very reasonable $3500 (not sure if GST is extra yet) which is half the price of the beefed up overseas kits that are simply out of most peoples price range.

The cost will come down if a total of 3 or more other parties would be interested in tagging along? This is why I am posting this. It is a rare opportunity to fix/extend the life of anyone using one of these gearboxes in a lower torque application and may have been experiencing the same problems as myself.Exact details are thin on the ground but I am paying a 50% deposit now to get in the production schedule (no eta yet either) and will be sending my components down this week.

If anyone is interested PM me to discuss.

I can vouch for Albins quality, we use them regularly and are second-to-none quality wise.

Hi All,

Probably not a lot of interest in this but thought I would post an update.

Albins have finally found some time to make a new 1st/2nd gearset and matching short input shaft for my R25 UN1 gearbox. Please see below:

As discussed you have an 11T reverse on the shaft.

I recommend our 3.00 x 2.00 shaft P11789 $990

3.00 first idler – 03463 $495

2.00 2nd idler – 03464 $495

These will be helical.

There is a $500 tooling setup fee as well for only doing one set. No fee if we can find a total of 3 interested parties to commit. Not sure exactly what Lotus boxes this will fit but I take it the older 4cylinder models with 11 Teeth reverse gear on the input shaft. I need to act quickly, by Monday next week I would say so if you could please pass this info on to any parties that may be interested it would be appreciated. This kit will essentially closen the ratio of 1st/2nd gear to place less stress on the synchros and hubs.

If anyone needs any further info please contact me.

Old post but curious to know if anything came of this. Or is the OP still around?