Ultimate 807 build

When I was playing around with my R8 in the mid 70's 10s head ,Weber ,sonic extractors I was told of an 1100 that had been fitted with a fiat twin cam head, not Sure whether it was fact or fiction, would have been nice to see.

Did any manufacture experiment with a sliding valve?

I'm imagining a 2 stroke with just a giant plate or 2 moving backwards and forwards like what BMW did and there slide throttles.
check out Dunston rotary valve Holden grey motor,there is one at baggiest car museum.... jim

Dunston.. that is the neatest thing I have seen!

What a fantastic idea. no pushrods, values, springs.. Maad!

Speaking of smart things...

Talk about kids these days!

He's designed a "freevalve" to work in situ within a standard mazda production head.

Forget about cams, springs, chains, timing, heck even throttle bodies, once he has this up and running, he'll be able to program all that directly at the valve level.

And what a great way to leverage the existing platform. no need to redesign the cylinder head, he's just re designing how the valves are secured. Brilliant!

Should be twice as easy on an 807 right? :p

I hope you are now rushing off and buying your grandchildren 3D printers..

Did anybody watch the video to the end? Does he want to open the valves with the air controlled by the solenoids?

I might be wrong here but that will never work because the exhaust valve opens when there is still a lot of compression remaining in the cylinder. The air will not be able to act against the force that the compression is acting out on the area of the valve seat.

In F1 the pneumatic valve springs designed by Renault some time ago, it uses from the same compression that is developed and that is a very high pressure.

In his case there will be delays of air entering the valve/piston chamber because air is compressable and the air will have to compress to a certain pressure before it will overcome the pressure inside the cylinder. Everything will need to happen in milliseconds as well.

My humble opinion is a good idea but not practical.

Frans.

I believe he's planning on the solenoid acting in both directions yes. Can't talk to issues of pressure but offer he built a prototype and had it installed and running on a smaller lawn mower engine here;

From my limited reading, it appears to be a clone of the Koenigsegg stuff?

Reactions: COL
I believe he's planning on the solenoid acting in both directions yes. Can't talk to issues of pressure but offer he built a prototype and had it installed and running on a smaller lawn mower engine here;

From my limited reading, it appears to be a clone of the Koenigsegg stuff?
And its controlled by an Arduino.

im thinking the valve could be attached to a piston in a cylinder that could be activated in both directions ,with hydraulic pressure ,and a lightweight spring to seat it , kind of like a hydraulic desmo .with a computer operating the oil flow ,you cold have infinitely variable valve lift and timing ,and do away with throttle body altogether , i seem to recall this having been played with by a euro manufacturer

A set of these would help it breathe

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1620288850414.jpg
    FB_IMG_1620288850414.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 165
Just remembered this one from mid 1980's driven by Chris Ahee. It has an 807 engine with turbo in a prototype sports car called a Sirch running in the Australian Sports car Championship. I spoke to a guy at the Bathurst 12 hr this year who said it is in numerous parts in boxes in a shed somewhere.

The photo below was taken by me at the Oran Park round, the second run for the car. You can see the turbo charger at the top of the photo. The intercooler is at the bottom of the pic. The turbo blew through a pair of 45 DCOE carbs, pre EFI and no internet in those days, unless you had a contact in NASA.

View attachment 120155
I know Bowie was keen on seeing more of this car so I found those other pics, the owner was Chris Ayhee.

A2.jpg
A3.jpg
A1.jpg

Thanks for posting those Chris :)

The unanswered question is, where is it now?

Last I heard was pre COVID at the Bathurst 12 Hr in 2020, the car is still in the hands of the original owner Chris Ayhee who may now have some health issues. I used to see Chris occasionally at my neighbours new years eve parties until about 10 years ago.

I could try to track it down but I need to sell the Lotus before starting another project.

Thinking about that car, I lapped it at Oran Park and it was a DNF at Amaroo. There were some reliability and performance issues with blowing boost through the carbs which needed a lot of development. The thing would really sing with modern injection hidden in the carbs to make it look original and some current turbo technology however it would not be true to the era and technically correct as a historic race car. It has genuine race history from the 1988 Australian Sports car Championship which should make it quite valuable. The chassis, suspension, brakes, gearbox was all state of the art.